Innovative Marine Aquariums

Frilly Purple Jelly Ball

lizzyann

🤷‍♀️

MVIMG_20190318_151516.thumb.jpg.2e4374f66912b49c59e8d33fb21afda0.jpg

It's half-a-pencil-eraser-sized, mostly a purple/gray color (similar to a mushroom foot or zoa polyp), with a bit of maroon/purple on the frilly bits. I though maybe some little sea slug or nudibranch at first, but it hasn't moved for a couple days. Some kind of baby coral? It just sits on the little rock and sways a bit in the flow. Doesn't really do anything when I squirt water on it. Haven't poked it. Anyone have any ideas?

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

How interesting! It really does look a lot like a nudibranch, particularly the bold colors. How was it introduced into your system, is it possible it's damaged or dieing? 

10 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

How interesting! It really does look a lot like a nudibranch, particularly the bold colors. How was it introduced into your system, is it possible it's damaged or dieing? 

Definitely possible. I just moved everything to a larger aquarium, adding live rock from someone else's tank. This is on a little piece of rock that got chipped off and was somewhat buried in the sandbed. I never noticed it on the rock until a couple days ago, and it has looked the same since.

6 minutes ago, lizzyann said:

Definitely possible. I just moved everything to a larger aquarium, adding live rock from someone else's tank. This is on a little piece of rock that got chipped off and was somewhat buried in the sandbed. I never noticed it on the rock until a couple days ago, and it has looked the same since.

At first (and second) look I wanted to say nudibranch but if it came from an established reef and buried in sand, it's unlikely. (Unless the person purposely added some to take care of a pest)

Can you get a good pic from the opposite side?  

They aren't great because I just plugged my skimmer back in and I'm in a ridiculous micro bubble purgatory at the moment but I moved the rock around and got some shots from all sides:

MVIMG_20190318_183308.thumb.jpg.391e887d573d018018efcf4dc4e73acd.jpg

MVIMG_20190318_183437.thumb.jpg.399a7bf6c059b0fb4589c2835ff235ee.jpg

MVIMG_20190318_183540.thumb.jpg.2d854d63efca4bf2f33cc6e5ecf4be07.jpg

I'll text the original owner of the rock and see if it looks familiar to him.

• Like 1

Is there a mouth on it?  Almost looks like a really sad cinnamon grandis maybe. 

I honestly have no clue. Anything I say is most likely a guess. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 minutes ago, patback said:

Is there a mouth on it?  Almost looks like a really sad cinnamon grandis maybe. 

I honestly have no clue. Anything I say is most likely a guess. 

Same here

Well it let go of the rock but is sitting next to it. I'm afraid it's going to blow away, I wish I had a cage to put it in to keep watching it! I don't see a mouth, but it definitely looks like it has "guts" or the darker frilly bits are pulled inside or something because there's some darker matter under the first layer of gray.

17 minutes ago, lizzyann said:

Well it let go of the rock but is sitting next to it. I'm afraid it's going to blow away, I wish I had a cage to put it in to keep watching it! I don't see a mouth, but it definitely looks like it has "guts" or the darker frilly bits are pulled inside or something because there's some darker matter under the first layer of gray.

Can you put it in clear plastic cup with some sand in the bottom? 

I found a little plastic cup to put it in! Seems like it's shrinking, the frills aren't as out and plumped. I'll try to take another good photo tomorrow.

Seriously... I even dreamed about it last night. I found lots of other frilly purple jelly balls that were fully grown and figured out exactly what it was, then promptly forgot the name upon waking up.

• Haha 4
  • Wow 1

Unfortunately my thing isn't looking too good, but wouldn't the CUC eat it if it's dead? I took it out into the sunlight to try to get some better pics with only a moderate success rate:

IMG_20190320_170402.thumb.jpg.783455e2fa0fe01e35b77c63efb1de98.jpg

IMG_20190320_170237.thumb.jpg.43b8bea2e6bb3dc8c5b7e061aed122a6.jpg

Christopher Marks
6 hours ago, lizzyann said:

Unfortunately my thing isn't looking too good, but wouldn't the CUC eat it if it's dead? I took it out into the sunlight to try to get some better pics with only a moderate success rate:

IMG_20190320_170402.thumb.jpg.783455e2fa0fe01e35b77c63efb1de98.jpg

IMG_20190320_170237.thumb.jpg.43b8bea2e6bb3dc8c5b7e061aed122a6.jpg

Yeah, I’d imagine it would get eaten if dead, maybe it’s still deteriorating? 

I’m starting to think it might be a tunicate?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
8 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Yeah, I’d imagine it would get eaten if dead, maybe it’s still deteriorating? 

I’m starting to think it might be a tunicate?

That’s what I thought🤔