Top Shelf Aquatics

AI Prime HD Settings HELP!!

AquariumSam

AquariumSam

Hello,

I recently added corals to my tank, and when the light is off they come out much more. I think my light was too strong so I did some research and came up with these settings: 

From 2PM - 6 PM

UV: 50%

Violet: 50%

Royal: 50%

Blue: 50%

Green: 13%

Red: 13%

Cool white: 30%

The lights ramp up at 10:00 AM-2:00 PM and ramp down from 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM

Unfortunately, these settings do not give me a very blue color

The lights used to be at:

UV: 119%, Violet: 116%, Royal: 79%, Blue: 80%, Red + Green: 4%, Cool White: 19%

but I noticed that the corals really hated this as my zoanthids were even closed.

With the new setting, my zoanthids have opened up some additional heads that I didn't even know were on the plug. My Blasto neon seems to still not like this setting, and my micromussa doesn't seem to like the setting too much. Maybe I should move them? Or do I adjust the lights more? I cannot tell if my chalice likes the lights, I haven't seen him adjust differently at all. Additionally, my favia has opened up a little bit, he used to be opened much more. 

Some photos are below. I apologize if some are blurry. 

FullSizeR1.thumb.jpg.22f512890843cf5c011ce85f3b539ae2.jpg

Left to right: spitfire favia, coal miner zoanthid, bullseye micromussa, gatorade chalice, blasto neon

Then some close ups:

IMG_60491.thumb.jpg.19e944f298877945ba28d491704c17a9.jpg

IMG_60501.thumb.jpg.efa4edab067da7f6c248a015aad4eed1.jpg

IMG_60511.thumb.jpg.6d0add3dafaa901d5b6a5fc7d38516c8.jpgIMG_60521.thumb.jpg.e642cd22c1a013c1fc362bbf31e321de.jpg

Maybe someone else can comment on your exact settings because I'm not too familiar with what's best (I just downloaded a preset light program from the AI website http://www.aquaillumination.com/signature/) but you may just need to acclimate your corals to the light. Usually you want to do a really slow light acclimation for new corals, especially if they were under much different light before. I've had zoas that were especially sensitive to that and wouldn't open up until I went back and did a 1-2 week acclimation. Thankfully the Prime makes it super easy, just go into acclimation mode, set the reduction percentage (50%-80% if you want to start pretty low? really not sure what's best and it's probably different for each situation), set the end date, and turn it on.

If your lights to Bright you will do way more harm than if your low on light setting. Crash course on the prime...uv thru blue is for coral. the other colors are for macro algae, lol algae and too please your eye. Looks like a 20 gal?  I would start no more than 50 on coral side light and around 10 on others, again all to subject of change lol. 8 hrs long and ramp it up to a point and have fun with it. Do a search on prime settings many posts already.