SaltCritters.com

Rock availibility

--chris--

johnmaloney
On 3/20/2019 at 1:55 PM, hotdrop said:

Bummer it was always considered the best rock available. Not enough margin?

It was something I always carried because I liked the supplier, but he is getting older now and I don't think he has the resources to keep stocking it. If he does, I will carry it. He was the original supplier of cleaned rock, dry rock used to come uncleaned or from the ocean. I have a timestamped thread on NR for all doubters. 🙂

He is the first supplier of this particular rock too. Nice guy, sad story, he took on the wrong handshake partner briefly and that guy ran off with his business when he had a heart attack. That guy sells it everywhere now. I am not sure if they know the real secret behind good vs bad dry rock. I may drop this knowledge one day if my guy decides to retire. As a hint, it is not phosphates that are the real leaching concern. 

I think we were his only remaining customer when he got out of the hospital. He has been hobbling along ever since. After some equipment broke down, his truck finally gave out he can't do it anymore. He had a super premium rock for a few months, we carried it as "Caribbean Rock" that was hands down the finest rock in the hobby. I like our regular rock, but this was something out of this world. It was so porous and brittle you could mold it by hand. If I had capital I would put it behind him, but I am just not in that position. If someone else in this business is, contact me and I will put you in touch with him.

(sorry for the open letter nature of this reply, it just grew after 10 edits)

• Like 6
27 minutes ago, johnmaloney said:

It was something I always carried because I liked the supplier, but he is getting older now and I don't think he has the resources to keep stocking it. If he does, I will carry it. He was the original supplier of cleaned rock, dry rock used to come uncleaned or from the ocean. I have a timestamped thread on NR for all doubters. 🙂

He is the first supplier of this particular rock too. Nice guy, sad story, he took the wrong partner and that guy ran off with his business when he had a heart attack. Now others also sell a version of it. I am not sure if they know the real secret behind good vs bad dry rock. I may drop this knowledge one day if my guy decides to retire. As a hint, it is not phosphates that are the real leaching concern.  

I think we were his only remaining customer when he got out of the hospital. He has been hobbling along ever since. He had a super premium rock for a few months, we carried it as "Caribbean Rock" that was hands down the finest rock in the hobby. I like our regular rock, but this was something out of this world. It was so porous and brittle you could mold it by hand. If I had capital I would put it behind him, but I am just not in that position. If someone else in this business is, contact me and I will put you in touch with him. 

That's really a sad state 😞 if he just got out of the hospital in the US hes probably bankrupt or damn near so such is the sorry state of our system.  Is you got any suggestions on making suspect dry rock better let me know or PM me. I ended up buying some of the Marco dry rock from my LFS since yours was sold out. 

• Like 1
On 3/20/2019 at 2:13 PM, johnmaloney said:

He is the first supplier of this particular rock too. Nice guy, sad story, he took on the wrong handshake partner briefly and that guy ran off with his business when he had a heart attack. That guy sells it everywhere now. I am not sure if they know the real secret behind good vs bad dry rock. I may drop this knowledge one day if my guy decides to retire. As a hint, it is not phosphates that are the real leaching concern. 

I think we were his only remaining customer when he got out of the hospital. He has been hobbling along ever since. After some equipment broke down, his truck finally gave out he can't do it anymore. He had a super premium rock for a few months, we carried it as "Caribbean Rock" that was hands down the finest rock in the hobby. I like our regular rock, but this was something out of this world. It was so porous and brittle you could mold it by hand. If I had capital I would put it behind him, but I am just not in that position. If someone else in this business is, contact me and I will put you in touch with him.

Thanks for your honesty @johnmaloney and I like the open letter of sorts.  Who knows who might see it.  That rock is fantastic! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
johnmaloney
2 hours ago, bennyd said:

Isn't that rock pretty close to what Marco rock sells? Curious.

I am not sure how close he gets it. He wasn't producing it to my knowledge when they worked together he just sold it. 

• 2 months later...

I purchased several hundred pounds of Marco rock (many years ago).  Looking at their site today, I'm sure that it's not the same rock that they offer today.  However, I regret doing it.  I fought a lot of problems, and wasted lots of money.

Luckily, I'm sitting with a 44gal Brute full of unused Reef Cleaners rock (for future use).

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, seabass said:

I purchased several hundred pounds of Marco rock (many years ago).  Looking at their site today, I'm sure that it's not the same rock that they offer today.  However, I regret doing it.  I fought a lot of problems, and wasted lots of money.

Luckily, I'm sitting with a 44gal Brute full of unused Reef Cleaners rock (for future use).

Let me know what the starting bid is for that limited-edition premium LR.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2