SaltCritters.com

LED choice

Willzs

So I'm about to choose a light for my 81cm x 36cm x 45cm tank. My choice is either the TMC Reef Photon duo or an LEDzeal Malibu S 150. What would you recommend?

1 hour ago, BORDER said:

AI PRIME HD .... is a small head unit ..and a very good light .. .got mine for just over £200 , my avatar pic shows it over a IM Nuvo 40g

Would it have enough spread over a 81cm x 36cm though?

My Nuvo 40 is 69cm across ... yours is only just slightly bigger ... the light coverage over mine is bang on .. I would think it would be fine .. I have mine sat around 6-7 inches over the tank ..maybe if it were sat a little higher it would cover that bit extra for yours ... 

2 hours ago, Willzs said:

Ok I might have to have a look at those, I thought I'd need 2?

An AI Hydra 26 might work a little better for you. Has 2 pucks spread a bit apart for better coverage. Also not sure of price in euros. 

36 minutes ago, Slim64684 said:

An AI Hydra 26 might work a little better for you. Has 2 pucks spread a bit apart for better coverage. Also not sure of price in euros. 

I've looked at those as well, still think I'd need 2?

35 minutes ago, Slim64684 said:

Your looking around £330 - £350 GBP for one of those ... nice light ..but a fair bit extra ... 

6 minutes ago, BORDER said:

Your looking around £330 - £350 GBP for one of those ... nice light ..but a fair bit extra ... 

it's almost 2x the light as well, and ensures you have the spread and penetration you need.  🙂 

if you're a handy DIY type, you could look at setting up several ABI Tuna Blue or Coral Compulsion lamps too. you would likely need the higher power 23w+ models.

ABI Tuna Blue's should be available on Amazon...you might find the CC bulbs on Amazon too, but it may be better to order them directly or have someone help out by buying them and sending them over as a gift 😉

10 minutes ago, Willzs said:

I've looked at those as well, still think I'd need 2?

What kind of corals are you planning on? AI HAS a par chart for the 26

23 hours ago, Willzs said:

Looking at mainly LPS, acans, frogspawn

I'm not an expert by any means but i would venture to guess a Hydra 26 would give you enough light for an lps tank. But please dont take my thoughts as law. Im merely speculating.

23 hours ago, Willzs said:

Looking at mainly LPS, acans, frogspawn

something you might like to do is email NanoBox, AI and Kessil and see what they would recommend for your tank and coral plans. then correlate that against recommendations here to see how close they are. 🙂

• Thanks 1