Cultivated Reef

Would you change what's not broken?

Clown79

So I haven't been testing phos in months. I know, my bad. Salifert always read 0 and I got tired of testing.

Just got my hanna checker(love it) and found my 10g phos is 0.21. My 25g has 0(and now I have dino's)

I have no algae issues in my 10g, my anemones are happy and so are my brain corals.

I'm hesitant to add phosguard because I don't want to disrupt anything.

Would you fix what's not broken?

I wouldn’t personally... I’d probably leave as is. But when my phosphates get really high and I start to get more algae I use Phosphate RX and it precipitates the phosphates out (you have to have a skimmer or filter sock though to remove the precipitate). Marc Levenson (Melev) has a nice video on Phosphate RX, if you want to know more about it. 

• Like 1

I personally wouldn’t take action prior to seeing a decrease in “happiness” and health.

While 0.21 may be high in some reefs, we forget to credit the recillience and adaptability of corals. As long as your system is stable at those numbers and everything seems happy, I can’t see why you would touch it.

As a point of reference, check out Drew’s lagoon, who runs his phosphates even higher without major issues/.

A Little Blue

I would try with some moderation. I certainly wouldn’t panic or rushed into extreme measures to get it fix. 

There are few things that I would try but you probably know what they are. 

20 minutes ago, banasophia said:

I wouldn’t personally... I’d probably leave as is. But when my phosphates get really high and I start to get more algae I use Phosphate RX and it precipitates the phosphates out (you have to have a skimmer or filter sock though to remove the precipitate). Marc Levenson (Melev) has a nice video on Phosphate RX, if you want to know more about it. 

Oh and I should qualify my reply by pointing out (as you know, Clown, but others that read your thread may not) my tank is mainly softies and NPS... I typically run higher nitrates and phosphates... of course some corals require lower nitrates and phosphates, so it really depends on what else is in your tank. 

that_one_brodie

You could keep monitoring it to make sure nothing gets out of hand. But if the corals and fish are doing fine I wouldn't attempt to fix your pho level. Good luck with the Dino in the other tank, currently at the end of dealing with them myself.