inTank Media Baskets

Is this not enough or to much light

tofer

Notice this last night trying to figure out .  I have recently changed from stock light to ai prime hd . I’m using the Pirates Of The Caribbean preset  on acclamation mode   . Param

dkh 9.6 Hanna 

mag 1325 salifret 

cal 420 salifret 

nitrates 5 

phosphate not sure as waiting on Hanna checker .

im thinking it’s a light issue as I recently changed.  It seems to only be center  that tentacles are whiter . 

4DE65989-17E5-4D2B-A06D-5E77A1430FE7.jpeg

burtbollinger
2 hours ago, tofer said:

@burtbollinger Thanks will do  think I've got a perfect spot . 

just dont over do it...and it will take a month or two perhaps to color back up.

also, when it happened to me i think some of the ones discolored like that were acutally newer tentacles...not sure that has something to do with it?

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I think if it was just the light you'd be worried about bleaching. It doesn't look like it's bleaching.

Let us know when you get phosphates checked. A test from your local fish store or an API test kit would be fine while you're waiting for your meter to arrive.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

@mcarroll as of this morning my phosphates are at .11 on hanna ulr . The coral tentacles are completely white but extended  small amount of color on bottom of a couple  have been spot feeding . Some days its retracted but for the most part extended . Everything else is doing good  . I did have it higher in the tank and it has not regained its color  so  Imoved it to a rock lower and will give it time  .

1 hour ago, tofer said:

as of this morning my phosphates are at .11 on hanna ulr

That's pretty much fine, but makes me worry a little about the NO3, which was much lower at 5ppm.  As long as you're still testing nitrates routinely and it doesn't trend any lower, then everyone should be happy from this standpoint.  Sometimes a strong imbalance like this can result in nitrates (the low parameter) reaching zero.  Sometimes that can be detrimental to the tank overall.  Much less-so than if phosphates were the one driven to zero...so with any luck you're fine with the numbers you have.

So if there are any changes in color happening, IMO it is due to the change in light.  (Any chance you can still measure the old light for a comparison if you downloaded a lux meter to your smartphone?)

If part of the change was a significant increase in PAR, then bleaching is still possible even in spite of the availability of phosphate and nitrate.

Good flow and available nutrients will minimize the extent of any damage and shorten acclimation time in general, including healing.

@mcarroll I do still have the old light . With the testing with smartphone lux app  would it be measured just at water level at peak level of light schedule and then the same distance away from old light at peak  ?  The old light is the stock led biocube 32 comes with  and the new light is prime hd  .

thank you for your advice 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The torch has died  😪 . Thanks to all who gave suggestions to try to revive  this coral .  I will try a torch again  in the near future .