SaltCritters.com

Stock Filtration in Fluval Evo 13.5L

DRGN

Can people running with the stock filtration on their Fluval Evo 13.5L- sponge, bio media and carbon media please post here ideally with a picture of your tank and let myself and others know how you are getting on? I'm about to set up and have bought various upgrades but I see the odd post here and there where someone is running stock and seemingly everything is going well. I don't want to over complicate things if I don't need to. 

I removed all stock filtration. Replaced it by algae turf scrubber.

1 chamber: UV 9W, Purigen, Carbon, Sponge (all 3 on top of UV).

2 chamber: Turf scrubber

3 chamber: Pump, ATO, Heater

Works great.

4Swanson2Reefer0N00b

Stock.  But have recently upgraded because I wanted to upgrade the light and try a Refugium in chamber two. I'm about 1.5 years into the tank.  

image.png

Take out all stock stuff and just throw it out..lol Then add marine pure bio balls in there.. that's it! Especially through the cycle period you won't need any thing else until your reef starts to mature. Then you will start dealing with elevated phosphate levels and stuff like that. At that time...I've always loved throwing chemi pure bag, a carbon bag, a purigen bag in rear chamber....Other than that you can throw some chaeto in the back for a fuge. 

my second and third chamber...

1B93C78B-392C-4A94-AB68-E9FDFA1A79F1.jpe

first chamber is for my chaeto fuge. That acts like a natural detritus trap kinda.

D0F9A9EF-94BA-4E5A-B69B-C5742F5D20B1.jpe

On 3/19/2019 at 11:28 PM, 4Swanson2Reefer0N00b said:

Stock.  But have recently upgraded because I wanted to upgrade the light and try a Refugium in chamber two. I'm about 1.5 years into the tank.  

image.png

Stock light grew that? wow great job!!!!!