Coral Vue Hydros

Help with ich or velvet?

Nick13

1 minute ago, Nick13 said:

I don't have another tank to transfer them to, can I reduce the copper in the current tank and add carbon?

No, if using just 1 tank you must treat for 30 days with copper. You can discontinue dosing Metroplex, however.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2019 at 12:19 PM, Humblefish said:

No, if using just 1 tank you must treat for 30 days with copper. You can discontinue dosing Metroplex, however.

Another update. All fish have bounced back and are looking good, I added an air pump to the tank and that seemed to help a lot. I finish a full 30 days of copper and have been doing water changes and adding carbon to reduce the remaining copper. My issue now is today my clowns decided to beat the crap out of my yellow watchman goby. It's fins are all tore up and has some marks on it's body as well. My wife found out when the larger clarkii had the YWG in it's mouth! I quickly put together a small breeder box for the goby to hopefully recover in. IMG_20190504_154851.thumb.jpg.1471794876eb6254f3109b8d0363872d.jpgIMG_20190504_154900.thumb.jpg.703fa834596c39cb86e410c433ec72a8.jpg

54 minutes ago, Humblefish said:

He might need antibiotics if the body & fins do not heal: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/401791-antibiotics-fish-medication-information/

A 30 min MB bath would also help provide some relief: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/401839-methylene-blue-fish-medication-information/

Thanks humblefish he seems to be recovering ok so far. I'll keep an eye on him for sure. He must of got beat up pretty bad from the way he looks, unfortunately I wasn't home when it happened.

20 hours ago, Humblefish said:

He might need antibiotics if the body & fins do not heal: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/401791-antibiotics-fish-medication-information/

A 30 min MB bath would also help provide some relief: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/401839-methylene-blue-fish-medication-information/

Unfortunately he didn't make it through the night ☹️ just the 2 clowns left now to get through the rest of the fallow period.

Humblefish
2 hours ago, Nick13 said:

Unfortunately he didn't make it through the night ☹️ just the 2 clowns left now to get through the rest of the fallow period.

Sorry for your loss ☹️

• 4 weeks later...

So a week from Saturday will be 78 days fallow in my tank. I'm trying to make a plan for future quarantine. My plan is to put my 2 clarkii's back in the tank next Saturday and watch them for about 2 weeks to make sure they are ok back in the tank. My question is should I leave my qt tank running for the new fish I plan on adding or should i tear it down and clean it and just fill it again when I'm ready to add new fish? Am I ok keeping all the equipment for my qt tank to use again when getting new fish? And what is the best method for adding new fish to qt then DT. Tia! 

Humblefish
1 hour ago, Nick13 said:

My question is should I leave my qt tank running for the new fish I plan on adding or should i tear it down and clean it and just fill it again when I'm ready to add new fish? Am I ok keeping all the equipment for my qt tank to use again when getting new fish? And what is the best method for adding new fish to qt then DT. Tia! 

You can reuse a QT for future fish purchases, but after a while bacteria (especially biofilm) will build up to a point where it will begin degrading any medications you dose (except copper). For this reason I recommend breaking down & sterilizing a QT every few months. You can keep new biomedia going down in your DT's sump at all times, so you don't have to recycle the QT every time.

TY humblefish! I will break it down and clean it. Yea I have notice a brownish film all over everything that i try to scrub out when i do water changes. Any medications I should have for new fish I bring in? I have copper, metroplex and ruby reef so far, anything else i should add? And whats the best process for QTing new fish?

On 3/24/2019 at 9:51 PM, Nick13 said:

well QT is set up and all fish are in. I put them in a 5g bucket for 90mins with an air stone and ruby reef rally. Set the QT up and put in metroplex and copper power. tested copper and it was about .5ppm (checked with a hanna checker) so I will slowly raise from there. QT a 10g tank and is using a 200 biowheel filter. I also added a bottle of biospira to help with ammonia. I have a small powerhead in there but it seemed to push a lot of water so its off at the moment.  Hopefully I'm doing this all right, all that is in the tank is the 2 clarkii clowns and a small yellow watchman goby. Afer today I'm thinking this is looking more like brook as well. I noticed the smaller clown had some slime hanging off him. let me know if there is anything else i should be doing planning on keeping the qt running for 76 days so wish me luck! Thanks again for all the help.

PS should I stop running my protein skimmer on my DT with no fish? or should i just keep it running?

IMG_20190324_203924.thumb.jpg.da5a136f08df6768188711a5a92ec9be.jpg

If the fish survived this long, it seems like the diagnoses suggested so far almost have to be wrong.....people say all those diseases kill quickly and rampantly if you believe the common knowledge.

If you know, what are you treating for?

On 3/24/2019 at 11:00 PM, Nick13 said:

Is it normal for the fish to look worse after the rally bath and in the qt?

Everything about QT from the catching to the treatment(s) to their return to the display is very stressful, so YES.

The effects of these stresses are all cumulative as well as lasting.  For example, the effects of stress from being net-caught can last for weeks before the fish returns to a state of normal.  Being net caught is not even a particularly stressful activity, but it's still a serious stress.

This is why taking a fish to QT usually ought to be done with more due diligence than we commonly see.  (I can't think of one instance of someone using a microscope to ID an infection prior to treatment.  PaulB does autopsies with a scope sometimes, but he doesn't QT so doesn't count.) 

It's also why QT tanks should be decked out like a real fish tank (a chunk of live rock, fake plants for cover, something for a cave -- nothing fancy) and not like a prison cell where (e.g.) there's nothing but a heater and some PVC.  Being in a sterile environment (or not) also contributes to stress (or lack of it).

(A QT tank is not the same as a hospital/treatment tank where the fish will only be there a very short time.)

Edited by mcarroll
Caveate: Save button got hit accidentally before I was done reading the thread.
Humblefish
9 minutes ago, Nick13 said:

TY humblefish! I will break it down and clean it. Yea I have notice a brownish film all over everything that i try to scrub out when i do water changes. Any medications I should have for new fish I bring in? I have copper, metroplex and ruby reef so far, anything else i should add? And whats the best process for QTing new fish?

The basics are copper, Metroplex and Prazipro (or API General Cure). You also might want to keep an antibiotic on hand (such as Kanaplex) in case of a bacterial infection.

In this write-up I discuss two options for quarantining: 

4 minutes ago, Humblefish said:

The basics are copper, Metroplex and Prazipro (or API General Cure). You also might want to keep an antibiotic on hand (such as Kanaplex) in case of a bacterial infection.

In this write-up I discuss two options for quarantining: 

Ty!

Humblefish
3 hours ago, Nick13 said:

also any tips for QTing sand dwelling fish like wrasses?

Put some sand in a glass pyrex bowl. The copper absorption rate should be minimal. It's rock that you really want to avoid when dosing meds.

Well the clowns are back in the DT fingers crossed I'm in the clear. The seem way happier being out of the QT tank that's for sure! 

@Humblefish well maybe my fallow period didn't work. I was fallow for 78 days I put my clowns on Saturday but noticed this today when I got home. Anything to be worry about or am I just being paranoid? I may have seen another spot or 2 but can't get a picture. Let me know what you think.259594086.thumb.png.b4a2d2d8b1ce5669296802f933338a20.png268035544.thumb.png.7f045cc427552ebd969f6db081231d50.png

2016892642.png

3 minutes ago, Humblefish said:

@Nick13 Could just be a nick or sand stuck to his mucous coat. I wouldn't panic just yet.

Hard to tell she moves to much to get a good look or picture. I'll just keep an eye on it for now if I see more I'll let you know. Ty!

On 6/12/2019 at 8:50 AM, Humblefish said:

As far as I can tell all the spots I've seen seem to be gone. There is possibly a few small specks on her tail but it's really hard to tell. I'm planning on watching them for the next few weeks before I add any new fish just to make sure.

Well still not sure if I'm in the clear or not. Every few days I'll notice a spot or blotch on one of them but then the next day it's gone. Also I have noticed the female has flashed in the sand once or twice in the last week but still not sure if it's something I should be concerned about. She has also gone to get cleaned by my cleaner shrimp a few times. Both are eating with no issues and don't seemed to have any labored breathing. Not sure what's going on but I've been hearing to add anymore fish untill I'm 100% my is pest free. Let me know if you have any input. Tia!