Pod Your Reef

Help with ich or velvet?

Nick13

2 hours ago, Humblefish said:

I set the QT to 1.0 ppm, put the fish right in that and then take 48-72 hours to slowly raise it to 1.75.

I have a friend who drops his fish straight into 1.75 ppm chelated copper, but it's mostly done with hardier fish. I wouldn't do that to sensitive anthias or wrasses.

well QT is set up and all fish are in. I put them in a 5g bucket for 90mins with an air stone and ruby reef rally. Set the QT up and put in metroplex and copper power. tested copper and it was about .5ppm (checked with a hanna checker) so I will slowly raise from there. QT a 10g tank and is using a 200 biowheel filter. I also added a bottle of biospira to help with ammonia. I have a small powerhead in there but it seemed to push a lot of water so its off at the moment.  Hopefully I'm doing this all right, all that is in the tank is the 2 clarkii clowns and a small yellow watchman goby. Afer today I'm thinking this is looking more like brook as well. I noticed the smaller clown had some slime hanging off him. let me know if there is anything else i should be doing planning on keeping the qt running for 76 days so wish me luck! Thanks again for all the help.

PS should I stop running my protein skimmer on my DT with no fish? or should i just keep it running?

IMG_20190324_203924.thumb.jpg.da5a136f08df6768188711a5a92ec9be.jpg

Is it normal for the fish to look worse after the rally bath and in the qt? It really looks like the slime is sloughing off now on both clown. not sure if its because of the medication killing the parasite?

14 hours ago, Nick13 said:

Is it normal for the fish to look worse after the rally bath and in the qt? It really looks like the slime is sloughing off now on both clown. not sure if its because of the medication killing the parasite?

That's exactly what's happening, the Rally and now Metro is killing the parasites right on the fish. Brook is different from ich or velvet; It lives, feeds and reproduces directly on the fish (no encysted stage). So, I would keep dosing metro every 48 hours to make sure all the parasites are eradicated.

Is the QT still cloudy??

It cleared up a bit this morning, the bio spira caused it to get pretty cloudy. I'm planning on using metro for about 2-3 weeks and copper for a month once I get to 1.75 ppm. The 3 fish seemed to be doing ok this morning, I'll update when I get home from work.

Things look good this afternoon, I'm still notice some spots/dullness on the clowns but they seem to be doing better. They all ate as well. I may have put to much bio spira in because there is a brown residue on everything. Going to check copper and raise as needed and does metro again tomorrow. How often should I plan on doing water changes? Every few days, every week? Also should I worry about running the powerhead? The biowheel moves some pretty good water. I also have an air stone I can add if you think it's needed.IMG_20190325_171521.thumb.jpg.f42ae5a257dafb78dded3e642287c759.jpg

1 hour ago, Nick13 said:

Things look good this afternoon, I'm still notice some spots/dullness on the clowns but they seem to be doing better. They all ate as well. I may have put to much bio spira in because there is a brown residue on everything. Going to check copper and raise as needed and does metro again tomorrow. How often should I plan on doing water changes? Every few days, every week? Also should I worry about running the powerhead? The biowheel moves some pretty good water. I also have an air stone I can add if you think it's needed.

Until the bacteria from the Bio-spira gets going, you may need to do WCs every few days. So long as there's a good disturbance at the water surface, you shouldn't need to add an air stone.

Ok awesome, yea the the hob filter is kicking up up the water pretty good I'll just use that for now. I'm assuming the brown residue is from the bio spira? And should I keep my protein skimmer running it my dt with not fish? Or not worth it? Am I safe to use my refractometer between tanks as long as it's dry between uses?

Any idea about how much copper power you add per gallon to get to 1.75ppm? I'm at 1ppm in the qt now but also curious for when doing water changes. 

1 hour ago, Nick13 said:

Ok awesome, yea the the hob filter is kicking up up the water pretty good I'll just use that for now. I'm assuming the brown residue is from the bio spira? And should I keep my protein skimmer running it my dt with not fish? Or not worth it? Am I safe to use my refractometer between tanks as long as it's dry between uses?

Brown residue is probably from Bio Spira. I would not run a protein skimmer whilst dosing meds, and your refractometer is safe provided it's 100% dry between uses.

58 minutes ago, Nick13 said:

Any idea about how much copper power you add per gallon to get to 1.75ppm? I'm at 1ppm in the qt now but also curious for when doing water changes. 

1.04ml per gallon = 1.75ppm

1 hour ago, Humblefish said:

Brown residue is probably from Bio Spira. I would not run a protein skimmer whilst dosing meds, and your refractometer is safe provided it's 100% dry between uses.

1.04ml per gallon = 1.75ppm

I'm talking about running the protein skimmer in my DT, with no fish in there is it worth running? I got my copper up to 1.14ppm tonight I'll add a little more tomorrow and try and hit 1.75ppm. once i reach 1.75ppm does it stay pretty stable or to i have to constantly add?

1 hour ago, Nick13 said:

I'm talking about running the protein skimmer in my DT, with no fish in there is it worth running? I got my copper up to 1.14ppm tonight I'll add a little more tomorrow and try and hit 1.75ppm. once i reach 1.75ppm does it stay pretty stable or to i have to constantly add?

I would continue running your skimmer in the DT, assuming you have corals/inverts in there which are still being fed & expelling waste.

Copper Power remains relatively stable unless you have something like rock or sand absorbing it.

• Like 1

Awesome I'll keep the skimmer running, Copper is now at 1.69ppm so I put just a dab more in. Also doesed metroplex again today. Ammonia on the seachem checker has been at 0, but ready to do a water change if needed. I do still notice the spots on both clowns I'm not sure how long it takes for all the parasites to die. Thanks again for all the help!

• Like 1

Copper is at 1.8 today after work, hopefully that's ok. Ammonia still reading 0. Clowns are more active today but still rubbing/itching on the PVC but they are starting to look better. Only 73 more days to go!

1 hour ago, Nick13 said:

Copper is at 1.8 today after work, hopefully that's ok. Ammonia still reading 0. Clowns are more active today but still rubbing/itching on the PVC but they are starting to look better. Only 73 more days to go!

Yup, 1.8 is good. Hold the line there.

On 3/27/2019 at 7:46 PM, Humblefish said:

Yup, 1.8 is good. Hold the line there.

Held copper at around 1.8 all week didn't water change tonight and it crept up to 1.95. is that too high or ok?

13 hours ago, Nick13 said:

Held copper at around 1.8 all week didn't water change tonight and it crept up to 1.95. is that too high or ok?

Anything under 2.0 is OK. Some even treat as high as 2.5 ppm, and most fish tolerate that just fine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2019 at 9:33 AM, Humblefish said:

Anything under 2.0 is OK. Some even treat as high as 2.5 ppm, and most fish tolerate that just fine.

Quick update, copper has been holding around 1.8 the last few weeks. But I've noticed my clowns the last day or 2 have been kind of lethargic they did eat yesterday but not much. I did a 5g water change last night just in case something was up with that but no real change in them this morning. Ammonia badge has been reading 0 salinity is 1.025.

56 minutes ago, Nick13 said:

Quick update, copper has been holding around 1.8 the last few weeks. But I've noticed my clowns the last day or 2 have been kind of lethargic they did eat yesterday but not much. I did a 5g water change last night just in case something was up with that but no real change in them this morning. Ammonia badge has been reading 0 salinity is 1.025.

Copper is known to make fish act lethargic and suppress appetite.

However, I would dose Metroplex at least one time (you can combine with copper) just in case your clowns actually have brook: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/402151-brooklynella-fish-disease-information/

2 minutes ago, Humblefish said:

Copper is known to make fish act lethargic and suppress appetite.

However, I would dose Metroplex at least one time (you can combine with copper) just in case your clowns actually have brook: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/402151-brooklynella-fish-disease-information/

I have been dosing metro as well this whole time. Today the both seem to be hiding and hanging out on the bottom of the tank

3 minutes ago, Nick13 said:

I have been dosing metro as well this whole time. Today the both seem to be hiding and hanging out on the bottom of the tank

How long have they been in therapeutic copper? Might be time to transfer out if you can setup an observation tank.

10 minutes ago, Humblefish said:

How long have they been in therapeutic copper? Might be time to transfer out if you can setup an observation tank.

It's been 18 days of copper above 1.5

3 minutes ago, Nick13 said:

It's been 18 days of copper above 1.5

You can transfer them into a non-medicated observation tank, provided it's setup using all new water, equipment, etc. and at least 10 feet away from the QT. Basically, transfer only the fish... nothing else.