Coral Vue Hydros

I think I have dino's

Clown79

I don't know what this is but my worst fear is dino's. I need some help figuring out what it is.

Nothing has changed in my tank besides adding an additional Prime which I have lowered both my lights to acclimate the corals to more light.

I have tested phos with my new hanna ulr and they are 0. I feed my corals 2 times a week and my fish daily, so having 0 phos is surprising.

My nitrates are at 2-5

I went away overnight and came back to most of my euphyllia closed up, my plate closed, my styllo closed. All else is acting normal and open.

I did a waterchange immediately, I have been sucking up the algae daily, and even tried peroxide dosing for a week. No change, its getting worse.

I have posted pics. It's very web like and stringy.

The only area there are bubbles is the gorg and I think that's from the micro bubbles that shoot out from the returns.

Anyone ever combat dino's? Any suggestions?

20190316_155209.jpg

20190316_155140.jpg

20190316_155157.jpg

Looks like dino to me. Probably ostreopsis since it disappears at night. A $10 scope could give you a positive ID on dino.

I kicked ostreopsis ass with DIY coral snow + skimmer to remove them at night and blasted them off the rocks/corals several times a day. This is a toxic dino that produces paly toxin, so run carbon if you try and kill them. IF it is this type. This would explain your corals being stressed, it was killing my SPS as well. UV also is helpful if it is this type since it goes into the water column at night.

Scroll down for different types listed and some extra info there:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-–-are-you-tired-of-battling-altogether.293318/

http://www.algaeid.com/identification/

• Like 1

looks like same type I had.

Mine originally spawned I believe due to my old tank nitrate and phose ALWAYS was at zero with my Hanna ULR and nyos nitrate kit. even dosing I couldnt barely get them up so i starved the tank and let them hit me. Now I always make sure I have nitrate and phosphate in the tank

I fought them for 3months.

In the old tank removed sand bed. did a 5day blackout. Dosed some more bacteria, did a course with Dr Tim waste away and eco balance. They were gone about 95% could only see a small strand here and there.

Upgraded to a 40B and thought they were gone. After 3 weeks they showed up again. I am running an ABS barebottom in this tank so they didnt come as hard. I hit with a 3day blackout. I did Dinox but not sure if it helped at all. Seems everytime I tried DinoX it would kill off a mushroom. I finally added a 26w UV steralizer in the tank for 2weeks. Dinos are gone but I do have alot of algae growing but its keeping them away by out competing.

I will take algae anyday. I also during the whole 3 months was dosing Ntrate and Phosphate to keep my Nitrates in the 5-10 range and phosphates I would dose and would flux between .003-.2 I didnt really care since I would rather an algae grow and take them out and deal with that later than dinos staying.

Thanks so much for the help.

I am so bummed with this. Besides being really sick while trying to deal with this the extra costs to buying a microscope, skimmer, and uv isn't possible.

😢

Thrassian Atoll

Mine seemed to have just gone away on there own.  I am guessing mine was more being a new setup than anything else though.

55 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Looks like dino to me. Probably ostreopsis since it disappears at night. A $10 scope could give you a positive ID on dino.

I kicked ostreopsis ass with DIY coral snow + skimmer to remove them at night and blasted them off the rocks/corals several times a day. This is a toxic dino that produces paly toxin, so run carbon if you try and kill them. IF it is this type. This would explain your corals being stressed, it was killing my SPS as well. UV also is helpful if it is this type since it goes into the water column at night.

Scroll down for different types listed and some extra info there:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-–-are-you-tired-of-battling-altogether.293318/

http://www.algaeid.com/identification/

I have been reading adding phyto, pods, and bacteria is one method.

I'm just not sure which products are the best to try.

If it indeed is toxic, is it a concern to household members health as well? That is a main concern of mine.

3 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I have been reading adding phyto, pods, and bacteria is one method.

I'm just not sure which products are the best to try.

If it indeed is toxic, is it a concern to household members health as well? That is a main concern of mine.

If you killed off large amounts of it, maybe? 

There are many strains of dino and not all methods work on each kind, it is a bit of hit or miss and what makes dino so frustrating. 

I had some stuff like that when I first set up a Fluval Evo V. Not that much though. Went from water change each week, to every two weeks (only had a tiny clown at the time). While it seemed to subside between water changes, and flare up after a water change, it did go away on it's own and greener algae took its place. Only had soft coral and didn't seem to bother them. I did also add trochus, tiny hermits, and astreae snails around the same time, maybe they cleared it? Don't know if it applies, just my experience from what looks like the same stuff. 

What size tank is it?

you can borrow my UV since I am not using it now

oh and don’t do water changes till you got them beat. It will fuel them and grow faster. I found that out the hard way. Just let the tank get dirty so other things can grow in their place and they get beat 

• Like 1

It's a 25g lagoon. Over 3 yrs old.

Going to order a microscope but honestly not sure what I'm looking for when purchasing one. Lol. Haven't used one since grade 10(long long time ago)

12 minutes ago, 05XRunner said:

What size tank is it?

you can borrow my UV since I am not using it now

That is a really nice offer, thank you. I'm in Cda and the shipping would be atrocious!

Of course walmart here doesn't sell microscopes in store! 

All I need is a toy one!

Wish telescopes worked. Lol. I have one of those.

Oh. Yea shipping might end up costing what the uv was. With a 25g you could probably use the 13w green machine. I had the 24w version. The 13w I think is only $40

20 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Would this work @Tamberav

https://www.mastermindtoys.com/12783-Mini-Microscope.aspx

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/cr/B07H5VX31Z/ref=mw_dp_cr

1 I could go buy tomorrow, the other I'd need shipped.

21 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Would this work @Tamberav

https://www.mastermindtoys.com/12783-Mini-Microscope.aspx

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/cr/B07H5VX31Z/ref=mw_dp_cr

1 I could go buy tomorrow, the other I'd need shipped.

The 2nd one looks like it has bigger magnification?

This is the toy one commonly used here: 

8 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I know, double the price. Ridiculous! Lol.

You should see the prices for reefsupplies on Amazon.ca about 50%+ than stores.

So what I'm looking for is 1200x magnification.

$25 seems the cheapest.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Clown79 said:

@Tamberav

Would using Stability be equivalent to macrobacter7?

Not sure other then they are both bottled bacteria so in theory they should be similar. 

10 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Not sure other then they are both bottled bacteria so in theory they should be similar. 

Great. I have stability so I didn't want to buy another bottle of the same stuff.lol

So frustrating.

I had my phos up to 0.01 and now back to 0, same with nitrates. Wtf!

I am ordering the flourish phosphorous but no clue what to use for nitrate dosing.

Been feeding reef roids twice a day and fish twice a day.

Had to remove all macro as it was covered in dino's.

5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

So frustrating.

I am ordering the flourish phosphorous but no clue what to use for nitrate dosing.

Look into dosing Spectracide stump remover for nitrate which is 99% potassium nitrate. Here is an online calculator for dosing 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/reeformadness.wordpress.com/2017/02/08/nutrient-dosing-for-better-tank-health-and-better-coral-color/amp/

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, taima1shu said:

Look into dosing Spectracide stump remover for nitrate which is 99% potassium nitrate. Here is an online calculator for dosing 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/reeformadness.wordpress.com/2017/02/08/nutrient-dosing-for-better-tank-health-and-better-coral-color/amp/

Thank you

Going to check stores in person but looks like it's been banned in Canada.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/26/2019 at 8:20 PM, Clown79 said:

So frustrating.

I use Seachem Flourish Nitrogen for Nitrate dosing.... not to be confused with Seachem Flourish which is a different product.