Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Innovative marine ext vs SC aquariums vs aquamaxx

sayn3ver

Looking at a new tank. Was looking at the aquamaxx 24x24x24 cube but I dont think I want to go 24" deep for maintenance purposes. It's also the most expensive. 

I'm looking at the Innovative marine 40 ext (24x20x19)  and the SC aquariums 50g (24x24x20). 

IM40 ext is $450+$100shipping from marine Depot

SC aquarium 50 is $499 shipping included. 

Aquamaxx 57g is $399-$150 shipping. The aquamaxx would require an overflow so add $130-160 for an external overflow like the eshopps eclipse. 

I want Starfire and an almost 24x24 footprint. I'm willing to go with the im40 ext since the external overflow and 20" width of the tank ends of being similar to the SC aquariums internal overflow on a 24" width tank. 

Thoughts?

Thicker the glass the better IMHO as well which makes the aquamaxx 57 premium maybe worth the extra.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2019 at 5:53 AM, flypenfly said:

The EXT for sure. Feels a lot more premium than my old SC.

Have you first hand experience with both?

I'm Leary of the build quality of the SC aquariums. Seems hit or miss with what has been posted here. 

However I've seen an innovative marine 30l in person and the seams and glass looked tight. I liked the edge finish on the innovative that I saw in person. 

1 hour ago, sayn3ver said:

Have you first hand experience with both?

I'm Leary of the build quality of the SC aquariums. Seems hit or miss with what has been posted here. 

However I've seen an innovative marine 30l in person and the seams and glass looked tight. I liked the edge finish on the innovative that I saw in person. 

Yes I ran a beautiful sca 60 and now I own two ext aquariums. The ext is far nicer plumbing wise and build wise. Only negative for the ext is that the aps stand interior dimensions make finding the right sump challenging.

I plan on getting just the ext 40 tank. I picked up an eshopps nano refugium sump locally off of facebook marke place. 

I am going to do a slight modification to it to force all the water through the filter sock unlike it's stock form. 

Plan on running chaeto under a kessil h160.

That fiji sump looks killer. Certainly is out of my budget. Paid less than half of that for the eshopps used. 

Plus I needed the extra 4 inches I get with the smaller sump to fit in some other equipment. 

That media basket/ filter sock chamber is clever. I'd run poly pad most of the time  and maybe some lower micron fleece to polish occasionally. 

I can always add a media cup to the eshopps and get similar results.