Pod Your Reef

yellow gorg behavior

Mazzy21

x-posted on reef central but got no response so hopefully ppl here with have more experience with them.

I have a new yellow gorg - Diodogorgia nodulifera. I honestly don't know a lot about gorgs except that they can be hard to deal with AND I also thought I was purchasing a photosynthetic one (so thought it would be easy) when I got this last week so I kinda am terrible with owning this species, but it is what it is. I have it now so I will attempt to keep it alive.

It is a very healthy specimen. I got it at a swap in a bin full of them all laying on top of each other. I picked one with polyps fully extended and it has kept it's polyps extended for the entire week so far that I've had it. It has them fully extended even while I'm typing this. I honestly don't ever see it without it's polyps out except once so far and next time I looked it's polyps were out again. I have been putting microfeed in the water column daily (I understand the nutrient overload risk and will take steps to hopefully prevent the worst of that) and yesterday I did a 'direct' feeding (i.e. a few inches away flowing into ->) of the polyps. I am currently feeding New Life microfeed because that's what I had on hand but I am buying some ReefRoids (claims it is "THE food for gorgs").

My question is: The polyps are ALWAYS extended. Some closed a little with the direct feeding, assuming they caught some food, but opened right back up. Does this mean my gorg is starving and needs more or different food than I'm feeding? or are the polyps open because it's happy and catch a lot of food?

I can tell you it isn't super firm/standing completely upright. It's a little flopsy.

20190315_200406.jpg

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Mazzy21 said:

x-posted on reef central but got no response so hopefully ppl here with have more experience with them.

I have a new yellow gorg - Diodogorgia nodulifera. I honestly don't know a lot about gorgs except that they can be hard to deal with AND I also thought I was purchasing a photosynthetic one (so thought it would be easy) when I got this last week so I kinda am terrible with owning this species, but it is what it is. I have it now so I will attempt to keep it alive.

It is a very healthy specimen. I got it at a swap in a bin full of them all laying on top of each other. I picked one with polyps fully extended and it has kept it's polyps extended for the entire week so far that I've had it. It has them fully extended even while I'm typing this. I honestly don't ever see it without it's polyps out except once so far and next time I looked it's polyps were out again. I have been putting microfeed in the water column daily (I understand the nutrient overload risk and will take steps to hopefully prevent the worst of that) and yesterday I did a 'direct' feeding (i.e. a few inches away flowing into ->) of the polyps. I am currently feeding New Life microfeed because that's what I had on hand but I am buying some ReefRoids (claims it is "THE food for gorgs").

My question is: The polyps are ALWAYS extended. Some closed a little with the direct feeding, assuming they caught some food, but opened right back up. Does this mean my gorg is starving and needs more or different food than I'm feeding? or are the polyps open because it's happy and catch a lot of food?

I can tell you it isn't super firm/standing completely upright. It's a little flopsy.

20190315_200406.jpg

It looks beautiful😊

If it’s open you can assume it’s happy. Keep up with the feeding. 

• Thanks 1

It looks happy - continue to feed daily and observe behavior.  I have a few different ones that are photosynthetic and had explosive growth when feeding daily.  All have polyps fully extended during daytime. Feed, feed, feed. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...