billygoat

Billy's 18g Caribbean Biotope - New animals 2/20!

melson

Great choice for both! You're gonna like your chalk bass.

• Like 3

billygoat
17 hours ago, Amphrites said:

Your photo skills just keep getting better, couldn't end up with better subject shots and framing. 
So excited to see the Chalk Bass in this system, it has so much tall-shelter and will doubtlessly find its' own little spot to hang out in and feel safe.

Thanks so much @Amphrites! It really means a lot to me. I am still working with a horrible camera (iPhone 6) but close-up shots like the ones above tend to turn out pretty well.

As for the chalk bass, I am hoping the gorgonians and limited rockwork in my tank will provide enough cover for it to feel comfortable. They are really such beautiful fish, and I would hate for mine to feel nervous and stressed because it doesn't have enough hidey-holes. And if it doesn't end up working out, well... I guess I'll have no choice but to get a bigger aquarium! 

17 hours ago, melson said:

Great choice for both! You're gonna like your chalk bass.

I sure hope so! You're the one that inspired me to go for it @melson! Same with the yellow whip really - I like the look of that cactus in your tank.

• Like 3

billygoat

Oh, and I forgot to mention - I got a new toy for the tank! This morning I upgraded my tiny Cobalt MJ606 return pump to a Sicce Syncra 1.0. 

IMG_1027.thumb.JPG.79dbd9e065259195be49f3e03b05e92c.JPG

I noticed a lot of other reefers are into these Sicce pumps, so I decided to give one a try. The pump is very quiet. It produces slightly more vibration than my Cobalt MJ606 did, but it's definitely pushing a lot more water, and I expect it will settle down a bit once it breaks in a little. Flow through my rear chambers is noticeably higher, which increases the effectiveness of my filter floss, improves gas exchange, and increases water movement over my heater. Seems pretty good to me!

In fact the increased flow through my tank's sump area might allow me to finally find success with a refugium back there! We'll see if I get around to experimenting with that over the next week or so. 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Amphrites

I love sicce pumps myself, company has a great rep and low-prices, uses solid parts and they're quiet with absurd power-efficiency. Quick-maths had my little 110 gph pump running for nearly 10 hours on a $60 UPS from amazon, hard to beat darn-near anything about that lol.

• Like 2

billygoat

New stuff is here! omgomgomg My chalk bass and yellow sea whip both arrived in good condition this morning. I was very satisfied with KPA's packaging, as usual.

The chalk bass will likely need quite a bit of time before it comes out and starts being active in the tank, but I am happy to report that it looks healthy, with good coloration and no signs of injury or disease. Here's a shot of it lying dazed in a corner right after being added. It's a bewildering new world out there for this little fish!

IMG_1031.thumb.JPG.b3d2fd4dc96814070f8785bf675b24cd.JPG

The yellow sea whip is very pretty as well. This particular specimen is more of a cream color than it is yellow, but the shape and size of it is almost exactly what I envisioned for the spot I had in mind. I couldn't be happier with the way it fills in the top middle of the tank and completes my aquascape. I can't wait to see it with its polyps extended!

IMG_1032.thumb.JPG.6c3da637ab18547fca084be623217ba4.JPG

Here are some preliminary photos of the system just a few minutes after the yellow whip was placed in the tank. It looks like a ghostly cactus for the time being.

IMG_1035.thumb.JPG.01e69eaebd7921cd61090e5598eafd16.JPG

IMG_1036.thumb.JPG.aba31bcfaeb899e00523a78fd1feb5cc.JPG

• Like 12

melson

Looks like a great fish @billygoat! Is he working out still? How big is he?

• Like 3

billygoat
On 2/20/2020 at 2:14 PM, Amphrites said:

It's so tiny lol.

It's super small! I was surprised at the size. I'd say it's about 1.5 inches.

On 2/21/2020 at 1:47 PM, melson said:

Looks like a great fish @billygoat! Is he working out still? How big is he?

The chalk bass is settling in, still being very timid but it has started eating so that's a great sign. I think it just needs some time to settle down before it starts to gain confidence and move around the tank quite a bit more.

I unfortunately came down with the flu just a day after adding my new livestock, so I haven't had a chance to observe them as much as I'd like. The yellow sea whip is doing really well though. It sloughed off its waxy covering a few days ago, and the polyps are now beginning to extend consistently. I'll try to get some more pictures if I get a chance today.

• Sad 1

Pjanssen

Hope you're feeling better :flower:

• Like 2