billygoat

18g Caribbean Biotope

minimal

Sweet post on the gorgs. Once my tank grows up a little bit, I might try one!

Love that coralline growth too, looks like it's growing really fast! 

• Like 1

billygoat
14 hours ago, minimal said:

Sweet post on the gorgs. Once my tank grows up a little bit, I might try one!

Love that coralline growth too, looks like it's growing really fast! 

Thank you so much! I recommend gorgonians if you ever need to fill up vertical space. Most photosynthetic gorgs are very easy to care for and are not invasive like some other species of "filler" soft coral.

I'm so glad you mention coralline algae too! They are some of my favorites. Here are some different varieties of coralline from around my tank.

IMG_0303.thumb.JPG.93955e0629c4f583351e425c139d5d70.JPG

IMG_0304.thumb.JPG.64509e6ed256aea62747cd71ad52cda2.JPG

IMG_0307.thumb.JPG.72ea8c5b37744fbb8447d234e101ffff.JPG

IMG_0305.thumb.JPG.7e6ac9ff7185b221e1b853da268c445d.JPG

IMG_0306.thumb.JPG.8c00ca6dc56de41dbe3872d2b8a0b2b5.JPG

Every reefer knows coralline is desirable and indicative of a healthy system, but I feel that few really appreciate the huge variety of different shapes and colors that these incredible algae display. I have taken to leaving certain patches of my hardscape intentionally bare, just so I can see the progression of coralline species that come in to colonize them. I'm a bit of a freak for pink and purple rocks, as you can see! 😁

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

minimal

This tank is quickly becoming a favorite of mine! It’s all the tiny stuff that makes a reef KILLER. 

Did these just just naturally develop or did you get frags (I guess they’d be frags?)? I know gulf coast ecosystems carries the branching coralline sometimes. This is the first tank I’ve seen it grow noticeably in! 

• Like 1

billygoat
12 hours ago, minimal said:

This tank is quickly becoming a favorite of mine! It’s all the tiny stuff that makes a reef KILLER. 

Did these just just naturally develop or did you get frags (I guess they’d be frags?)? I know gulf coast ecosystems carries the branching coralline sometimes. This is the first tank I’ve seen it grow noticeably in! 

The tiny stuff is really what I am in it for! I love all the little micro life-forms that sprout up here and there, and spend endless hours trying to identify and catalog them. 

As for the coralline: I started with uncured live rock straight out of the Gulf of Mexico, so all the encrusting and plating coralline species in my system came in that way. The thick branching (Neogoniolithon sp., I think) and soft branching (Amphiroa sp.) varieties were purchased separately, both from Gulf Coast Ecosystems if I recall correctly. Reef Cleaners also stocks similar varieties of branching coralline from time to time, so I've been thinking about picking some more up just to see if I end up getting a different type. 😅

Speaking of Reef Cleaners, I noticed they've been having $8 RFAs in stock off and on over the past few weeks and decided to get another one. It shipped just fine this time and attached immediately, which I took to be a very promising sign. It's rather small but I expect it to expand quite a bit once it settles down.

IMG_0308.thumb.JPG.813fe404f2ed50cea67905d3ec1bcff9.JPG

Shout out to @johnmaloney for choosing a lovely specimen for me! It has beautiful pale golden tentacles.

• Like 2