Coral Vue Hydros

Nero 5 vs. MP10qd

choconut74

18 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Interesting 

indeed...cause they merged and yet as the article and FAQ share, everything is still separate. LoL!

12 minutes ago, Friendly said:

I knew that...I was just playing along so you didn't feel bad...  :rolleyes: 

I buy nano-box lights and still have my vortechs from 2012/2013 so I guess I just never bothered to know until now since I am looking for another pump 😛

On 3/29/2019 at 11:48 AM, Tamberav said:

So wheres the update and pics 😛

Haven't tested it out yet on my pico, but I've narrowed it down to the Nero 5 and a tiny, no-name brand pump.  Stay tuned for my unboxing vids.  J/k.  I hate that sh*t.  

IMG_20190330_202145_957.thumb.jpg.57bb6cc16e1ec72c5c97766e1106ee8b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

lol... ur joking right? 😛

1 hour ago, Tigahboy said:

Haven't tested it out yet on my pico, but I've narrowed it down to the Nero 5 and a tiny, no-name brand pump.  Stay tuned for my unboxing vids.  J/k.  I hate that sh*t.  

IMG_20190330_202145_957.thumb.jpg.57bb6cc16e1ec72c5c97766e1106ee8b.jpg

• Like 1

I contacted AI asking if they had a foam guard (or something similar) for the Nero.  The rep said they do not and if they did, won't be for a long time. 

I was hoping to keep nems at some point, so maybe I need to switch back to MP10??  The vacillation continues!

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

I contacted AI asking if they had a foam guard (or something similar) for the Nero.  The rep said they do not and if they did, won't be for a long time. 

I was hoping to keep nems at some point, so maybe I need to switch back to MP10??  The vacillation continues!

Do it!🤘😜🤘

The foam guards last like 2 days before it needs to be cleaned on my MP10s, I don't bother with them, I prefer to just change out one mechanical filtration device.

There are some 3D printed nem guards on eBay and r2r that are much nicer.

You might want to check out Reefbreeders pumps to see if they have a guard that can be used. The pump designs are extremely similar

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, flypenfly said:

The foam guards last like 2 days before it needs to be cleaned on my MP10s, I don't bother with them, I prefer to just change out one mechanical filtration device.

There are some 3D printed nem guards on eBay and r2r that are much nicer.

You might want to check out Reefbreeders pumps to see if they have a guard that can be used. The pump designs are extremely similar

The Reefbreeders pump looks pretty sweet actually.  Hmmmm....

I am pretty indecisive too 😛The reef breeders pump comes with a two year guarantee and technically could purchase two for the same amount and multiple sources of flow is pretty much always better. The controller is janky ofc.... but it has battery back up and accessories. 

I havn't pulled a trigger on anything... wish the LFS had them running to compare but no go there.

Pulled the trigger on a Nero as well 😂 Got it for an extra $30 off from saltwater aquarium because it was a customer return I think?

I tried it on a small plastic container the other day and though 1% is still ~1000gph, I think it would work fine on nano tanks (even on my 12" cube but I think I would need to run it at less than 10% all the time). The flow is REALLY gentle and wide. I like it a lot so far and hope it matches the quality/durability of an MP10.

IMG_1543.JPG

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

I saw those... generally with Jebao, you want to wait till it is a few versions in. 

I am pretty sure the Nero 5 was not the first pump like this though. They just made a better version with an increased price point..... so who copied who? 🤔

• Like 1

Christ! I’ve recently replaced 3 mp10 wet sides at $60 a piece! Whenever I clean them I notice the ceramic shaft is cracked! And I have to clean them often because they get sand stuck in them.

the three Nero5 have been perfect with no cleaning. There is a slight bug with getting stuck in Feedmode that is annoying but at least it didn’t cost me nearly $200

50 minutes ago, flypenfly said:

Christ! I’ve recently replaced 3 mp10 wet sides at $60 a piece! Whenever I clean them I notice the ceramic shaft is cracked! And I have to clean them often because they get sand stuck in them.

the three Nero5 have been perfect with no cleaning. There is a slight bug with getting stuck in Feedmode that is annoying but at least it didn’t cost me nearly $200

Sounds like the sand is the problem. 😞 Not under warranty? 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm picking up my new RS Nano Max next week form my LFS and I still can't decided between mp10 or nero 5. Any other RS nano max users out there that can provide feed back? Thanks.

i have been using the Nero 5 in my RS max nano for over 4 months.  Very pleased with it.  I have it attached to rear of tank on pulse mode 42%, 3 sec on , 7 seconds off.  Provides great current, but not too much to move gravel, etc.  Other settings are great too.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 6 months later...

what was the end result on this discussion?  I have a 18g nano I am thinking about putting a nero 5 on...  only concened that the min flow being 1000 would be too much... thoughts...?

blizzardscout2
5 hours ago, Gakarl100 said:

what was the end result on this discussion?  I have a 18g nano I am thinking about putting a nero 5 on...  only concened that the min flow being 1000 would be too much... thoughts...?

I used to have 2 MP10s in my Reefer 170 (34g) and I wanted a little more flow without turning them up which can be pretty noisy. I went to an MP40 to replace one of the MP10 but it was too powerful. The NERO5 has a wide gentle flow and certainly can be too powerful. I have mine on random at 13-26% and they are dead quiet. My coral love the flow they create. I miss the clean look without wires but I really like these. Cleaning is really easy and there isn’t anything to break on them. I like the AI app to control them and the app is really easy to use and very reliable. I highly recommend them of course the MP10 is a fantastic choice as well.