Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nero 5 vs. MP10qd

choconut74

1 hour ago, Tigahboy said:

Hmm.  That is worrisome.  I just got my Nero 5 yesterday, and I'm tempted to return it  now.  LOL.  My flip-flopping continues!

What did you end up doing @choconut74??

I'm still deciding! 😂 I was able to get in touch with BRS and saltwateraquarium.com and they both confirmed minimum flow at 1% is around 900gph or so. That said, SA.com runs a nero on their 20 gal, which makes me think that there's no way the minimum flow is that high... I'm just really confused now haha. On top of that, BRS and SA.com are sold out of neros so that's making my choice a little easier. The controllability on the My AI app is just too darn tempting though.

What tank size is your nero in right now? And what did you decide to do as well? 😂

Just now, choconut74 said:

I'm still deciding! 😂 I was able to get in touch with BRS and saltwateraquarium.com and they both confirmed minimum flow at 1% is around 900gph or so. That said, SA.com runs a nero on their 20 gal, which makes me think that there's no way the minimum flow is that high... I'm just really confused now haha. On top of that, BRS and SA.com are sold out of neros so that's making my choice a little easier. The controllability on the My AI app is just too darn tempting though.

What tank size is your nero in right now? And what did you decide to do as well? 😂

Looks like Marine Depot still has em.  I actually don't even have my tank yet.  LOL.  It's being made right now.  20g as well (30 x 14 x 12).  BRS has a good return policy, but once I open the box I have to pay a restocking fee.  That's no bueno.  

1 hour ago, A Little Blue said:

Don’t listen to anyone. Try it for yourself and make a decision. If it isn’t good enough for you, you can always return it. 

Flow-wise/control-wise, it beats MP hands down. 

Why do you say nero is better for flow than MP? Is it the wider pattern?

A Little Blue
6 minutes ago, choconut74 said:

Why do you say nero is better for flow than MP? Is it the wider pattern?

Exactly that. More gentle, even wider pattern than MP. Controllability, setup, modes, all better IMHO. 

FWIW I got MP10 in my junk bin. 

I use AI Nero 5 plus 2 KPS wave pumps in my 30gal long. Total turnover is between 2500-3000gph. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Tigahboy said:

Looks like Marine Depot still has em.  I actually don't even have my tank yet.  LOL.  It's being made right now.  20g as well (30 x 14 x 12).  BRS has a good return policy, but once I open the box I have to pay a restocking fee.  That's no bueno.  

You're right. Was hoping to get a free T-shirt from SA.com though 😂

Sounds like it's gonna be an awesome build. Love tanks that give the impression that they're kinda shallow. Hope you make a thread if you have the time!

I feel like I'm gonna have to see what pump you choose to make my own decision hahaha

I'm using both right now because of the lack of a battery backup on the Nero5. 

I also like how the MP10 has it's housing out of the tank, less noise for the aquatic life. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, flypenfly said:

I'm using both right now because of the lack of a battery backup on the Nero5. 

I also like how the MP10 has it's housing out of the tank, less noise for the aquatic life. 

Since you have both, which one is noisier for you outside of the tank?

7 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Since you have both, which one is noisier for you outside of the tank?

The MP10 in both normal and wQD form is definitely noisier. I kind of like the magnetic drive white noise though so it doesn't bother me. A nicer noise than a skimmer for sure.

• Like 2
Just now, flypenfly said:

The MP10 in both normal and wQD form is definitely noisier. I kind of like the magnetic drive white noise though so it doesn't bother me. A nicer noise than a skimmer for sure.

Thanks for the insight!

31 minutes ago, choconut74 said:

You're right. Was hoping to get a free T-shirt from SA.com though 😂

Sounds like it's gonna be an awesome build. Love tanks that give the impression that they're kinda shallow. Hope you make a thread if you have the time!

I feel like I'm gonna have to see what pump you choose to make my own decision hahaha

LOL.  Free T-shirt is always nice.  Will definitely start a thread when I get my tank.  

I sure wish the MP10's would come down in price...they're bloody expensive, especially in Canada.

that said, I'm surprised there are no copycat's of them yet...especially now that you can buy China direct. 

57 minutes ago, Friendly said:

I sure wish the MP10's would come down in price...they're bloody expensive, especially in Canada.

that said, I'm surprised there are no copycat's of them yet...especially now that you can buy China direct. 

If they could do it and make a profit, they would have. Must be an expense issue or something. Maybe the magnets. There are already copy cat Nero 5's.

2 minutes ago, Friendly said:

how is the Nero 5 a copy cat...it has a cable in the tank?

I don't mean that, sorry.

I am saying that china made nero 5 copy cats already.

They clearly can't copy cat vortech or haven't figure out how while doing it cheaply. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

That isn't what I am saying.

I am saying china made nero 5 copy cats already.

They clearly can't copy cat vortech or haven't figure out how while doing it cheaply. 

ahhh...clarity has arrived!

One significant difference for me, beside the "no cord in the tank" look, is that it's so easy to remove the wet side of the MP10 for cleaning. I can take it over to the sink and scrub away with brushes or leave it sitting in vinegar overnight. To do the same with most "cord in the tank" pumps, I have to unplug the cord from somewhere deep inside Darkest Undertank and get it untangled from everything else and pull it back out through whatever ridiculously tight holes it's routed through. And then do it all over again to plug it back in again.

I just end of cleaning my KPS right next to the tank in a little bowl. And I always get stuff splashed on the side of the tank. 

As a result, I clean my MP10s about once a month or whenever they get too much algae or coralline on them. The KPS gets cleaned about every six months. The Rossmont movers, which are buried in the back corner of the tanks, have never been cleaned in two years :blush:

• Like 2

Actually in this case the Nero5 is an evolution of the wave line which was apparently terrible. There were some copies of that but probably they’re all just made in the same factory to a lower standard.

• Like 1