Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nero 5 vs. MP10qd

choconut74

27 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I have three mp10s from 2012 and they still going strong. My maxpsext gyre has had to have new parts after a year and the inside magnet rusted (must have not been sealed properly).

You can get lemons from any company. Nero is just too new to know if it will last so it's a gamble but I hope they work out as more choices is nice.

Reef2reef has a lot of complaints about the Nero but it's about the magnet. The thing is the size of a mp40 but the magnet is too weak and won't work on larger tanks with 1/2 glass as advertised. I am basically waiting for them to fix this before I try one. If nothing else I will learn about their customer service.

Just read thru the R2R thread   Now I'm thinking I should swap for mp10.  LOL.  I'm easily swayed on this issue.  

• Haha 1
burtbollinger

well i just checked both my MP10s...and one of the two has a slightly bulging magnet with a small gap and is slightly bulging.  also some obvious rust color on the white ceramic shaft I'm pulling it out of the tank and retiring it.

also just ordered a triton test

not worth the risk.  

it gave me @ 11 years of service so i wont complain.

PLEASE advise...if the rust an issue, would the triton test come back as high iron?  what am i looking for to indicate i had an issue?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, burtbollinger said:

well i just checked both my MP10s...and one of the two has a slightly bulging magnet with a small gap and is slightly bulging.  also some obvious rust color on the white ceramic shaft I'm pulling it out of the tank and retiring it.

not worth the risk.  

PLEASE advise...if the rust an issue, would the triton test come back as high iron?  what am i looking for to indicate i had an issue?

I have had various magnets go bad from my gyre to my frag racks but my tanks have been okay. Last I saw, your tank looked fantastic. 

Idk about you guys but I disassemble my pumps every two weeks and clean and inspect. It doesn't matter what brand. I once had a damaged cord on a pump from a urchin chewing it 😮 caught it before he chewed all the way through. 

Only the gyre is a total pain in the ass to clean. 

1 hour ago, Tigahboy said:

Just read thru the R2R thread   Now I'm thinking I should swap for mp10.  LOL.  I'm easily swayed on this issue.  

I am just waiting for the next gen Nero when they fix problems. First gen stuff always has some sort of an issue although this one is no issue for nanos. I still may buy it anyways before march ends though..... quite honestly because I sort of want a big waterbox/reefer peninsula and they are 3/4 glass and this pump simply isn't strong enough anyways.

They got enough complaints surely they will fix it....otherwise their 3000gph pump is missing out on a large market of red sea reefer owners with deep pockets. 

If the 50 off is a big deal though I would just get one now but know it can't be used on very large tanks. If you want to upgrade to a big tank that may have 1/2 glass in the next few years and take the pump with you than I would just wait for a newer version. 

• Like 2
A Little Blue
4 hours ago, burtbollinger said:

not worth the risk.  

It depends on the volume of your tank. I mean, your concerns. But it would be wise to test for it. I have no experience with ICP tests but I’m pretty sure (like 99%) they test for it. 

• Like 1
A Little Blue
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I am just waiting for the next gen Nero when they fix problems. First gen stuff always has some sort of an issue although this one is no issue for nanos. I still may buy it anyways before march ends though..... quite honestly because I sort of want a big waterbox/reefer peninsula and they are 3/4 glass and this pump simply isn't strong enough anyways.

They got enough complaints surely they will fix it....otherwise their 3000gph pump is missing out on a large market of red sea reefer owners with deep pockets. 

If the 50 off is a big deal though I would just get one now but know it can't be used on very large tanks. If you want to upgrade to a big tank that may have 1/2 glass in the next few years and take the pump with you than I would just wait for a newer version. 

For big tanks I wouldn’t even consider ecotech or AI. Gyre all the way. Unless you need some back flow behind rocks and such and could use few echotechs inconspicuously. 

burtbollinger
6 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

It depends on the volume of your tank. I mean, your concerns. But it would be wise to test for it. I have no experience with ICP tests but I’m pretty sure (like 99%) they test for it. 

i pulled it and ordered a new wet side, not worth the risk.

skipping the triton test for now and just did a water change instead 🙂

• Like 2
A Little Blue
2 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

Which model (pump) was it? 

1 hour ago, A Little Blue said:

For big tanks I wouldn’t even consider ecotech or AI. Gyre all the way. Unless you need some back flow behind rocks and such and could use few echotechs inconspicuously. 

Yah.. gyre is such garbage quality though and a huge endeavor to clean... I hate them compared to my vortechs but probably the best choice for giant tanks. 

1 hour ago, burtbollinger said:

👍

Ya I wouldn't keep using it, it will probably just continue to fall apart. Hopefully he new wet side lasts as long as your last one!

burtbollinger

Yah.. gyre is such garbage quality though and a huge endeavor to clean... I hate them compared to my vortechs but probably the best choice for giant tanks. 

👍

Ya I wouldn't keep using it, it will probably just continue to fall apart. Hopefully he new wet side lasts as long as your last one!

I wont count on it, LOL.  I'd try something else but i cannot find a powerhead that gives me that gentle 200 or so GPH I want.  The MP10 is on the side of the tank where the hammers are...i dont want too much flow ripping through there.

10 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

I wont count on it, LOL.  I'd try something else but i cannot find a powerhead that gives me that gentle 200 or so GPH I want.  The MP10 is on the side of the tank where the hammers are...i dont want too much flow ripping through there.

haha yah the flow pattern is nice for sure. 

A Little Blue
35 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

MP10...circa 2008.

They still make wetsides for it?

33 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

You would like the Nero flow then. Totally different in comparison to mp10.

A Little Blue

👍

That's what I meant. 150+ tanks. They just move a lot of water. I had one not too long ago. Didn't like it. At least in my tank. Too noisy, pain it the butt to position so it doesn't rip flesh of my babies, cleaning ....... like you said, PITA.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

They still make wetsides for it?

You would like the Nero flow then. Totally different in comparison to mp10.

The 2008 stuff and the 2018 stuff still fits the same parts. 

14 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

That's what I meant. 150+ tanks. They just move a lot of water. I had one not too long ago. Didn't like it. At least in my tank. Too noisy, pain it the butt to position so it doesn't rip flesh of my babies, cleaning ....... like you said, PITA.

Ya too bad vortech 60's are 700 bucks... yaaaa maybe if I won the lottery. 

A Little Blue
53 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

The 2008 stuff and the 2018 stuff still fits the same parts. 

Ya too bad vortech 60's are 700 bucks... yaaaa maybe if I won the lottery. 

They are? I had no idea. 

$700 is no joke for a pump. 

• Like 1

Does the nero 5 have replacement parts? I could not find any on the AI parts shop or other websites. 

I know it doesn't have much for parts but would replacing the whole pump if something became worn would be 😞

26 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Does the nero 5 have replacement parts? I could not find any on the AI parts shop or other websites. 

I know it doesn't have much for parts but would replacing the whole pump if something became worn would be 😞

Hmm.  That is worrisome.  I just got my Nero 5 yesterday, and I'm tempted to return it  now.  LOL.  My flip-flopping continues!

What did you end up doing @choconut74??

• Haha 1
A Little Blue
14 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

That's helpful.  So the lowest gph you can get (i.e., at 1%) is 950 gph.   That's pretty high for the lowest setting. 

That’s a complete BS. Try it for yourself. It’s much, much less than that. Return it if you must but try it 1st. I have a feeling that you just might like it. 

1 minute ago, A Little Blue said:

That’s a complete BS. Try it for yourself. It’s much, much less than that. Return it if you must but try it 1st. I have a feeling that you just might like it. 

Either way, I suspect it's also OK given it's not constant flow.  Yeah, I'll probably give it a try since it's in my hands now.  Flip-flopping again!  :lol:

18 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Hmm.  That is worrisome.  I just got my Nero 5 yesterday, and I'm tempted to return it  now.  LOL.  My flip-flopping continues!

What did you end up doing @choconut74??

Hopefully they make some. All the other $$$$ pumps have parts. It would be weird if they didn't.

A Little Blue
6 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Either way, I suspect it's also OK given it's not constant flow.  Yeah, I'll probably give it a try since it's in my hands now.  Flip-flopping again!  :lol:

Don’t listen to anyone. Try it for yourself and make a decision. If it isn’t good enough for you, you can always return it. 

Flow-wise/control-wise, it beats MP hands down. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Every person wants something different in a piece of equipment. Some people buy Hydor because they will replace pumps that are ancient and way out of warranty.

Most shits going to grow coral either way. 

• Like 1