Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

fungia plate issue - leave it alone?

burtbollinger

burtbollinger

the fungia plate has been acting odd for a few weeks...does take food (but i have not attempted since this AM when I saw this)  he's not been as puffy.  this AM his mouth seemed to be gaping.   he looked to have a foreign object that looked like a redd-ish colored pellet in his mouth?!  but i dont feed the tank anything like that. 

i blew at it with a turkey baster to dislodge whatever was going on, and now the coral... looks like this.  mouth slightly agape...and a touch of skeleton ridge exposed at the mouth...should I do anything or just let it ride out?    as you can see, hes sucked in, and you can see the skeleton bit by his mouth.

alk. has been stable at 8.5 or so. 

i have had a few chalices have VERY slight recession on small areas during this same time frame.  overall though, the entire tank appears "healthy"

reaching at straws...I did have a momentary freak out about my salinity calibration fluid being off...but i'll take it to the store tomorrow for a double check.  certainly no salinity swing tho

image1.thumb.jpeg.003376e46bc9b7822356160227edb080.jpeg

image2.jpeg

burtbollinger
9 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Could it possibly be a piece of sand that got into its mouth?

it's possible i guess.  my gut said something had it stuck open like it was.

i later exacerbated i think by trying to blow out whatever it was i saw that was in there...it really looked like a reddish pellet or something

i guess theres nothing i can do now but wait and see.

im not gonna attempt to feed or anything right now i dont think

• Like 1

I would just leave it be...they can inflate and deflate....mine would eat dwarf cernith snails whole then puke out the shell. It liked bristle worms too 😮

• Wow 1