Coral Vue Hydros

Mr. Smith's IM Fusion 10 and First Ever Reef!

Mr.Smith

It's finally here! I just got the IM Fusion 10 AIO as my first ever reef tank! I'm really excited to get into this side of the hobby after spending a good amount of time on the freshwater side.

Equipment:

IM Fusion 10

EVO Clip 3W Aquarium LED Light Flex Clamp Nano Marine Fish Coral 6x 3 Watts by Odyssea

Heater has not been purchased yet (Eheim Jager or Cobalt Neotherm?)

~10lbs of rock free from my uncle

20lbs of Caribsea live sand (probably overkill)

Instant ocean salt

Ade Advanced Optics Dual Scale 1.0 to 1.070 S.G. Salinity Refractometer for Aquarium & Seawater

Stock pump

If you guys have suggestions on what I could add/change please let me know 🙂

I just set up a couple different arrangements of my rock and can't decide which I prefer

20190314_183051.thumb.jpg.a6283a887156a126342bba95888cf730.jpg

20190314_094659.thumb.jpg.a35304fd98c738d44f120d37e5fc9318.jpg

As for stock, I am unsure on a clean up crew, but am set on having a goby/pistol shrimp pair as well as some sexy shrimp that would host a rock flower nem. I'm also thinking of adding one more small fish like a goby or blenny or some fish that wouldn't always be perched on a rock.

I don't think I will get into coral right off the bat but that hasn't stopped me from coming up with ideas and researching them. I've looked into Duncans, Acans, Candy Canes, Zoas, and Ricordia. I am going to stay away from SPS coral until I have A LOT more experience in the hobby.

• Like 2
VaporCountry

Welcome, looks like you're off to a great start! Both scapes I really like, hard choice. If you have any questions be sure to ask. A lot of knowledgeable reefers on this forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
The Rainy Day Aquarium

Ha, we're in the same boat. I just set up my Nuvo 10 a few weeks ago. I like that second scape you have. The Cobalt Neotherm is pretty slick as they are thin and fit great in the second chamber of the filter. You'll have to tell me how you like that Evo clip on LED too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Fraktal_Blue I can't say much about the Evo clip-on right now besides that it has one normal (white?) light setting and one blue light setting but you cannot change the intensity. May I ask if you've replaced the filter sock or added something to filter along with it?

The Rainy Day Aquarium

Right. I was just interested in how you like it long term when you get things going. I'm using the stock filter sock for now, however I put in some cheap filter mesh in to help keep the sock from clogging up too quickly, but I'm for sure going to look into IM's media baskets as it seems everyone raves about them. 

@Fraktal_Blue I will definitely have updates that include how effective my light has been once I'm all cycled. The media baskets seem super handy but I think I'm gonna do some research on how expensive it would be to DIY my own basket before I spend the money on it.

Welcome. If you are getting a Goby/Pistol, ensure your rockscape is stable and inseparable- you don’t want any casualties from having rocks fall apart when they start their construction work

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Daniel91 said:

Epoxy them together and place them on eggcrate (not needed but is def effective)

Alright, I'll have to google some reef safe epoxy and grab some egg crate. Thanks!

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

How's your aquascaping project coming along @Mr.Smith? If you haven't found epoxy yet, most local fish stores carry an epoxy putty stick that is easy to work with on dry rock. You just slice off a little putty and knead it together before squishing it between the two rock joints.

I moved your topic over to our Aquarium Journals forum and took care of the duplicate 😉. Welcome to the community!

• Like 1

@Christopher Marks I took the advice of someone I found on a google search and ordered PC-Marine Moldable Epoxy Putty off of amazon, so I'm just waiting on that before I get started. Also, thanks a lot for doing that for me! I really appreciate it

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dustin C Mills said:

Is any kind of epoxy ok for dry rock or does it have to be marine rated?

Any kind of epoxy that is safe for potable water

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

After a lot of convincing, the mom-boss has finally agreed to let me do this lol

Cycling in process! I used Fitzyme 9 and live sand to speed things up

20190421_104726.thumb.jpg.abb0e5d597ce10b2e58848b6ec5cbd8a.jpg

• Like 2