SaltCritters.com

Coral ID

Jason2000

I've recently aquired my first marine aquarium which came as a full set up, including this coral which seems to be doing quite well. Can anyone identify it for me? Its about 6cm across currently. 

Also be interested to know how large and how fast it is likley to grow, and whether it will benifit from the soft coral powder food i'm adding for the other corals. 

Thanks in advance

1891846564_20190315_2039502.thumb.jpg.f1fb5875a48753f4ab1060481d7c1164.jpg

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll

Rhodactis Mushroom I think.  I don’t think it will grow any larger, but it will spread more mushrooms.  

I wouldnt add any of that coral food.  You have some hair algae I see and the food will make it worse.

• Like 1
TheBlackKraken

Hello and welcome to the hobby! @Jason2000

It seems to me that you have a Ricodea yuma. This is a soft coral from the mushroom coral family. They thrive in most conditions and grow relatively fast. Most of the time they split into more smaller versions of themselves. 

thanks both

@TILTONthanks for the advice on algae. Marine algae is a completely different ball game to what i'm used to in tropical freshwater! is the powder food unnecessary for my zoas, leather toadstool and green star polyps then (providing of course lighting/water quality is correct)? my porcelain anemone crab does also seem to like filtering it out the water column.  

Thrassian Atoll
22 minutes ago, Jason2000 said:

thanks both

@TILTONthanks for the advice on algae. Marine algae is a completely different ball game to what i'm used to in tropical freshwater! is the powder food unnecessary for my zoas, leather toadstool and green star polyps then (providing of course lighting/water quality is correct)? my porcelain anemone crab does also seem to like filtering it out the water column.  

The food may benefit the corals, but it’s not necessary.  Softies do tend to like a little dirtier water but it’s trying to finding the right balance with keeping the algae at bay.  

Whats your nitrates at?  What’s your cleanup crew too?