inTank Media Baskets

!!NEW BUILD!!

coralreef20g

coralreef20g

Yo!!

My 20 gallon rsm nano is back at home and about to hit its 2 year mark. I can get pictures of if the next time I’m up there.

But since moving and leaving my tank to my dad, I’ve missed the reefkeeping hobby.... so of course I bought a new tank! And decided to challenge myself by going even smaller🤪

I went ahead and purchased a 11.3 gallon Aquatop cube aquarium. I’m planning on making a diy refugium to filter this tank and give it the necessary flow.

if you guys are interested in updates let me know, and I’ll keep them coming! Happy reefing

F27289A3-002F-4708-BDD1-8C03CB44FFB6.jpeg

• Like 7
30 minutes ago, coralreef20g said:

if you guys are interested in updates let me know, and I’ll keep them coming!

Sure, this looks like it will be a nice little project.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Cube tanks are awesome, following along @coralreef20g!

How are you planning to create your DIY refugium? A sump or something setup beside it?

I'm curious too. I've read people modifying the AcquaClear 70  and 110, or is it 120, to have a refugium in them.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Friendly said:

I'm curious too. I've read people modifying the AcquaClear 70  and 110, or is it 120, to have a refugium in them.

That what I did with the AC70. Lots of tutorials on youtube.

• Like 1
coralreef20g
4 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Cube tanks are awesome, following along @coralreef20g!

How are you planning to create your DIY refugium? A sump or something setup beside it?

Can’t go wrong with a cube, I’m going to mod an Aquaclear 110 which will house my chaeto and heater.

• Like 1
coralreef20g

Here’s some pictures of the aquaclear. I used the mesh included and a flimsy food grade cutting board to make a baffle. Some cyanoacrylite and accelerator made this build about 5mins. As far as the lights go I’m using a $20 strip light from amazon which is red/blue and adjustable. I wrapped it around the aquaclear then taped it in place with some black ductape. I’m hoping it wont overheat since the tape is somewhat loose, not to mention the cool water flowing alongside it. 

Youll notice an orange piece of cutting board alongside the left corner of the filter screen. This is so I can get my chaeto to turn over and have the right flow, which is working now. But I’ll probably do something more permanent in the future as it is currently free standing. 

As as my cycle goes, the chaeto I picked up from Unique Corals came loaded with bristle stars, bristle worms, asterinas, a few tiny snails, and some other weird creatures. So I’ll let nature take its course and let these guys start my cycle. (sorry to any hitchhiker lovers out there) the chaeto I got was probably the entire size of my aquaclear btw, had to discard a good amount.

C465D8F4-25AD-4BB2-8AAE-7E176772697C.jpeg

5A080D1C-F971-4E83-8FC4-8B3E36FE94CD.jpeg

38CD6F6E-FF3D-4FEA-AA2F-1EE34E6B1873.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...