Jump to content
CanadianReefKeeper

Fluval Sea Marine & Reef LED

Recommended Posts

Hello!

 

My LFS has some Fluval Sea LEDs for a very nice price. 

Im wondering if the 24-34” unit would be adequate for coral growth in a 29 gallon “tall” tank? (30” long) I do plan on getting SPS eventually.

 

Does anyone have experience with this light?

I’m having trouble finding some decent reviews. 

 

Thanks for for the input!

 

Heres an amazon link to the light for ease of access: 

https://www.amazon.ca/Fluval-A3993-Marine-Reef-24-34/dp/B013U25AXQ/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_2?hvadid=228202111324&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=1002559&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=6314503780051474277&hvtargid=kwd-301955641428&keywords=fluval+sea+led&qid=1552568335&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmrnull&tag=googcana-20

 

Share this post


Link to post

It's nota highly recommended light, that's why the lack of reviews.

 

For the price there are better options.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Clown79 said:

It's nota highly recommended light, that's why the lack of reviews.

 

For the price there are better options.

Do you have any specific recommendations? I’m going crazy researching lighting!

Someones selling a used Maxspect Razor 27” (less than a year old they say). I know that’s supposed to be a fantastic light but I’m not sure how I feel about buying it used over the internet... 

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, CanadianReefKeeper said:

Do you have any specific recommendations? I’m going crazy researching lighting!

Someones selling a used Maxspect Razor 27” (less than a year old they say). I know that’s supposed to be a fantastic light but I’m not sure how I feel about buying it used over the internet... 

@Clown79 should’ve mentioned me, I have experienced all of this. Trust me, you don’t want to have to go through this. That light is the worst, don’t buy it. The only thing that it could only grow in my tank was a mushroom. Literally my tank is a 29 tall, I have a topic that I posted about this light also. For the price of that Fluval light, I would go for a viparspectra 165w light. They go for around 100, and they are a great light. I have it on my 29, and everything loves that light. I’ve been through the struggles that you are facing. Any questions just ask me. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, CanadianReefKeeper said:

Do you have any specific recommendations? I’m going crazy researching lighting!

Someones selling a used Maxspect Razor 27” (less than a year old they say). I know that’s supposed to be a fantastic light but I’m not sure how I feel about buying it used over the internet... 

The Fluval light is very cheaply made light, and the par readings are really horrible.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

@Clown79 should’ve mentioned me, I have experienced all of this. Trust me, you don’t want to have to go through this. That light is the worst, don’t buy it. The only thing that it could only grow in my tank was a mushroom. Literally my tank is a 29 tall, I have a topic that I posted about this light also. For the price of that Fluval light, I would go for a viparspectra 165w light. They go for around 100, and they are a great light. I have it on my 29, and everything loves that light. I’ve been through the struggles that you are facing. Any questions just ask me. 

Oh okay great! Thanks for the tip! 

Im surprised I didn’t fall upon your topic while I was light hunting... 

I’ll definitly check this one out!!

Share this post


Link to post

hey CRK, what is your budget for lighting?

 

for budget solutions, the ABI Tuna Blue 12w or 24w off of Amazon is very popular. You can get one like the ABI from Coral Compulsion that throw in a few other color spectrums for a bit more. you could also look at the Kessill A80 or A160WE Tuna Blue or step up into a light that you can move across into bigger/better setups like the AI Prime HD or the Nano Box Tide series.

 

ABI Tuna Blue 12w & 24w

Coral Compulsion

Kessil A160WE Tuna Blue & Kessil A80 Tuna Blue

AI Prime HD Saltwater LIght

NanoBox Tide Mini Plus & NanoBox Mini Flare Plus

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Friendly said:

hey CRK, what is your budget for lighting?

 

for budget solutions, the ABI Tuna Blue 12w or 24w off of Amazon is very popular. You can get one like the ABI from Coral Compulsion that throw in a few other color spectrums for a bit more. you could also look at the Kessill A80 or A160WE Tuna Blue or step up into a light that you can move across into bigger/better setups like the AI Prime HD or the Nano Box Tide series.

 

ABI Tuna Blue 12w & 24w

Coral Compulsion

Kessil A160WE Tuna Blue & Kessil A80 Tuna Blue

AI Prime HD Saltwater LIght

NanoBox Tide Mini Plus & NanoBox Mini Flare Plus

 

 

 

 

I actually have two ABI 12 watt tuna blues at the moment. I’m using one on a 4 gallon pico and the corals are absolutely thriving. 

Would both of these be strong enough to light the entire 29 gallon though? Then I wouldn’t have to buy a new light! My only problem with these lights and the reason I’m thinking of moving to something else is the harsh on and off. I assume the gradual fade in and out is better for the reef than just on/off?

 

My budget isn’t really set. I want to make sure I get a decent light as I know it’s one of the most important things, but I also want to try to be as wallet friendly as possible.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

The AI is looking very interesting. 1 is definitly in my price range, and I guess down the road if I find I need a second, I can always add on. 

 

Thank you so much for all the suggestions everyone!

 

Such a big decision! 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, CanadianReefKeeper said:

The AI is looking very interesting. 1 is definitly in my price range, and I guess down the road if I find I need a second, I can always add on. 

 

Thank you so much for all the suggestions everyone!

 

Such a big decision! 

 

It’s really quite hard to figure out which light is good for you, almost every light that you look at will claim that it is the best. If you need anymore help just ask😁.

Share this post


Link to post

FragBox in Vancouver sells the AI Prime HD lights. a lot of this stuff has limited availability in Canada and while you can get it shipped across the border, freight is often ridiculous and the fees redonkulous. 

 

another light I like is the reef bar by Current USA. reasonably priced as well. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Friendly said:

FragBox in Vancouver sells the AI Prime HD lights. a lot of this stuff has limited availability in Canada and while you can get it shipped across the border, freight is often ridiculous and the fees redonkulous. 

 

another light I like is the reef bar by Current USA. reasonably priced as well. 🙂

I actually just got off the phone with FragBox in Toronto. They carry the AI Prime too. 

They suggested I go with the hydra 26 instead. That’s getting a little bit iffy for price, but I guess would be cheaper than buying a second prime down the line.

 

Is the reefbar different from the current orbit? I’m having trouble finding it. 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

the Hydra 26 is overkill for the Evo 13...way overkill.

 

I said reef bar cause I had a blonde moment and couldn't think of what their light was called.

 

there are lamps like the other options mentioned and then LED Bar's...I used the word reef, as Current USA also ha a FW LED bar system to look at as well.

 

I'm hoping to set up a 12 gallon long or 22 gallon long and I am likely to use their LOOP system, which can match lighting with pumps and wave makers.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Friendly said:

the Hydra 26 is overkill for the Evo 13...way overkill.

 

I belive JL Aquatics in Vancouver also sells the Current USA Brand...check their options out?

 

the only concern I would have is whether their smallest light fits your tank length...

 

 

Not for an EVO13! I’m looking for a 29 gallon tall. Roughly 30inches long.

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, CanadianReefKeeper said:

I actually just got off the phone with FragBox in Toronto. They carry the AI Prime too. 

They suggested I go with the hydra 26 instead. That’s getting a little bit iffy for price, but I guess would be cheaper than buying a second prime down the line.

 

Is the reefbar different from the current orbit? I’m having trouble finding it. 

 

 

 

 

 

Reefsupplies.ca is in Canada 

The viparspectra is amazon.ca

 

I'm in Canada so I looked up Canadian stores since you are in canada.

 

Reefsupplies.ca is amazing to deal with you also get points for your purchases if you set up an account(free)

 

I'm in Ontario and get my items within 2 days from reefsupplies.ca

Share this post


Link to post

I would look into AI prime but also Orphek OR Bar light it is reasonably priced and can grow sps  and anything you throw at it

Share this post


Link to post

there's also Angelfins.ca

 

and then shops like Aquariums West and JL Aquatics ship also.

Share this post


Link to post

I purchased a Fluval Marine 24" , had it on my tank for two days and it started malfunctioning. White Led's stopped working altogether , other colours started flickering and coming on and off like there was a loose connection inside. I paid £150 for it ... Sent it back and bought an AI Prime HD ... and it's so much better in build quality , functionality and colours ... I paid £224 for the prime and worth every penny extra.

 

Some may disagree with me but just putting my experience on here to maybe help

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...