ReefCleaners.org

Fluval Evo aquascape help required

DRGN

I had a bit of a go last night placing my caribsea life rock. I'm either going to keep soft only or soft and LPS.

What are your thoughts on any of these? 

IMG_20190313_200359.jpg

IMG_20190313_205717.jpg

IMG_20190313_200923.jpg

• Like 1

To be honest, all three look good to me.  But if I had to pick, it'd be option 2. Just make sure there's enough room on the sides for you to scrape the algae off (whether by hand or with a magnetic glass cleaner)

What kind of light are you using?

Thanks for the replies so far. It's funny, I was swaying towards option 3 but you both prefer the other 2. Yes I will be using the stock Evo lighting and hood. Those 3 attempts have room for algae scraping. I've got a magnet and handle type scraper.

Aquatic Spendthrift

I like 2. if you want a difference in height for 2 take the rock in the front and split it in half so it is lower than the rest

Option 3 looks best right now, but if you put any corals that extend upwards (anything that doesn't form a mat essentially) it'll throw off the shape and it'll look too crowded.

I think the same for option 1

I would use a hybrid of option 2 and 3, but use the smallest rock to create a 'dam' to create a discrete higher sand level to the back, so you have one large rock at a lower level with a sand bed of 1" and then one large rock at the higher level with the sand banked up and retained by the small rock, at a height of 3". This, when filled in with corals as I imagine you'll stock it - leathers, zoas and torch corals or similar, will give the right height profile even if it looks sparse pre-stocking, and the sandbed variance will create a left to right movement that creates depth, kinda like the background of the Mona Lisa does.

an example of what I mean is here, the rock is partially submerged in sand to retain the sand from eventually forming a uniform flatness. 

Image result for iwagumi nano hardscape

• Like 1

what do you plan to keep in there for fish or invertebrate livestock? the first one with the arch gives fish something to investigate and swim through.

1 hour ago, Friendly said:

what do you plan to keep in there for fish or invertebrate livestock? the first one with the arch gives fish something to investigate and swim through.

No idea yet, I've been so busy sorting equipment and  haven't actually looked into fish or inverts.

2 hours ago, East1 said:

Option 3 looks best right now, but if you put any corals that extend upwards (anything that doesn't form a mat essentially) it'll throw off the shape and it'll look too crowded.

I think the same for option 1

I would use a hybrid of option 2 and 3, but use the smallest rock to create a 'dam' to create a discrete higher sand level to the back, so you have one large rock at a lower level with a sand bed of 1" and then one large rock at the higher level with the sand banked up and retained by the small rock, at a height of 3". This, when filled in with corals as I imagine you'll stock it - leathers, zoas and torch corals or similar, will give the right height profile even if it looks sparse pre-stocking, and the sandbed variance will create a left to right movement that creates depth, kinda like the background of the Mona Lisa does.

an example of what I mean is here, the rock is partially submerged in sand to retain the sand from eventually forming a uniform flatness. 

Image result for iwagumi nano hardscape

I like this idea, I'll mock it up and see.

I do have more life rock than this as I bought the 20lb box hoping for more options but it was just made up of BIG pieces. I'm wondering if I should break it all up to give more choice.... Not sure how well this stuff breaks though.

16 minutes ago, paulsz said:

will the fluval evo stock light be enough for soft corals and LPS?

Other people seem to be managing fine with them under it.

1 hour ago, paulsz said:

will the fluval evo stock light be enough for soft corals and LPS?

they're good for softies, but that's about it. the light is not very good and they die/fault often.

good and inexpensive alternatives are the ABI Tuna Blue 12w or 23w off of Amazon, or look at Coral Compulsions lamps, as they toss in a few more colors.

11 minutes ago, Friendly said:

they're good for softies, but that's about it. the light is not very good and they die/fault often.

good and inexpensive alternatives are the ABI Tuna Blue 12w or 23w off of Amazon, or look at Coral Compulsions lamps, as they toss in a few more colors.

I'm surprised by what you've said. I've been looking at the evo for a while now and only came across one person who had to replace their light due to failure and as for keeping LPS: 

• Like 1

I decided to take my stone chisel to the rocks to see if I could split them into more choice but they really didn't like that. Despite my best efforts the bits broke off into rubble. I've ended up with just another variation of option 2. I'm thinking I might raise the right hand rock up in the same position to add a bit of height. I could do this with some egg crate. I'm struggling to make any of the other rock work, big rocks + small tank don't mix very well. Hey, if I ever upgrade at least I have the rock already 😉

IMG_20190314_210838.jpg

• Like 1
16 hours ago, DRGN said:

Other people seem to be managing fine with them under it.

oh wow good to hear! i was always given the impression that AIO tanks had bad lights.

I'm planning on getting the 13.5G one in the future. Good to know it's got sufficient lights for softies/LPS

11 hours ago, DRGN said:

I decided to take my stone chisel to the rocks to see if I could split them into more choice but they really didn't like that. Despite my best efforts the bits broke off into rubble. I've ended up with just another variation of option 2. I'm thinking I might raise the right hand rock up in the same position to add a bit of height. I could do this with some egg crate. I'm struggling to make any of the other rock work, big rocks + small tank don't mix very well. Hey, if I ever upgrade at least I have the rock already 😉

IMG_20190314_210838.jpg

You could use 3 or 4 rubble pieces to lift up the right-hand piece some. That would give you a little more variation.

I liked 3, personally, but this one looks good too.

• Like 1