Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Beginner coral!!!

Bobby Goetzeee

Bobby Goetzeee

I have a 30litre tank and I am looking for a  couple beginner coral that don’t need a high flow. I’m a experienced freshwater hobbyist but never have tried saltwater before. Any help would be perfect

• Like 1
NuisanceAlgaeCultivator

Welcome Bobby! These seem to be the trademark intro corals. Green Star Polyp, Pulsing Xenia, Duncan, and Zoanthid to kick off the list. I'm sure more people will chime in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I second the GSP, Xenia, and Zoas. All of these have thrived in my tank and I'm still very new to the hobby. I have a couple leathers too that seem to be fairly easy but I'll let the experts chime in on that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gsp and Xenia both will grow extremely fast and cover rock you may not want covered, if you go that route just make sure you put them on a rock island. I would recommend mushrooms, zoas, and some of the easier leathers . Candy canes are pretty easy if you want lps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If your tank is healthy gsp and xenia can both grow very very fast and look awesome (too me). Kenya trees and devils hand leather are some other very fast growers. They drop natural frags they before long will be just as big as the mother colony. All of these "can" get annoying when you get more experience and want harder corals. But a softy tank can look just as good as a sps tank in my opinion.

Zoas can be easy too but sometimes you will hit a wall with them and not know why they aren't happy. Duncans can be easy too and grow fast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, Privateer said:

Gsp and Xenia both will grow extremely fast and cover rock you may not want covered, if you go that route just make sure you put them on a rock island. I would recommend mushrooms, zoas, and some of the easier leathers . Candy canes are pretty easy if you want lps.

To follow this up, look up what these coral colonies look like once they're bigger than frags. A lot of the cheaper beginner corals (GSP/kenya trees/xenia) might not be something you want down the road and they can be difficult to get rid of once they have taken hold.

• Like 1
TheBlackKraken

I had some problems with zoas in the past, for some reason everything was thriving except them. I would recommend Candy cane, Duncan and Hammer corals since in my opinion they are almost bulletproof and unlike GSP and Xenia can't take over your tank or at least not that fast. 

Bobby Goetzeee

I was thinking mushrooms are a good coral? I don’t want Zoas cause they grow all around the tank don’t they? What are leathers by the way? Sorry I’m really new to this

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Looks like a favia, could be wrong

Also, mushrooms are great. They reproduce readily, and I love the way they look. They would be fine in your tank. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Bobby Goetzeee said:

I was thinking mushrooms are a good coral? I don’t want Zoas cause they grow all around the tank don’t they? What are leathers by the way? Sorry I’m really new to this

Leathers = sarcophyton, sinularia ,   nepthia,  lobophytum....toadstools, Kenya trees, finger leathers, devils hand....hope that helps

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Try YouTube, there are lots of solid “top 5” or “top 10” beginner coral lists up there, and if you watch enough, you’ll see the same ones pop up over and over. Worth a look, if you want commentary and visuals. I really like Inappropriate Reefer, Tidal Gardens, and a few others. You’ll find ones you like.