Cultivated Reef

Who in the world would buy this?!!

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Sorry, I just really needed to know your guys opinion on this, bc this is actually crazy. I don’t know if this is actually a real thing or not, but it’s stupid. Who would pay this kind of money and take the chance that it could die when you put it in your tank? I’m just really amazed by this.

3C7FA540-7E87-46FC-A587-4BE65F143F93.png

Then there’s also this, not as expensive, but still crazy.

14FA0EEB-81D0-47E5-A7E1-369664709FED.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The BattleCorals listing is an obvious "joke"

And the mushroom looks like a $10K coral. That thing is crazy. I dunno, I personally wouldn't pay it, even if I had that kind of disposable income, but I think you underestimate the budgets of some of the collectors in this hobby, Ethan....I'd maybe pay $500-$750 personally if I just had a bunch of extra cash and wanted to fill my tank with rare collectibles 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

The BattleCorals listing is an obvious "joke"

And the mushroom looks like a $10K coral. That thing is crazy. I dunno, I personally wouldn't pay it, even if I had that kind of disposable income, but I think you underestimate the budgets of some of the collectors in this hobby, Ethan....maybe pay $500-$750 personally if I just had a bunch of extra cash and wanted to fill my tank with rare collectibles 

Totally agree MetaTank!  There are so many people with more cash than they know what to do with.  $10k is not a lot to them.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Sorry, I just really needed to know your guys opinion on this, bc this is actually crazy. I don’t know if this is actually a real thing or not, but it’s stupid. Who would pay this kind of money and take the chance that it could die when you put it in your tank? I’m just really amazed by this.

3C7FA540-7E87-46FC-A587-4BE65F143F93.png

Then there’s also this, not as expensive, but still crazy.

14FA0EEB-81D0-47E5-A7E1-369664709FED.png

Battlecorals is a great guy and the listing is just a joke because he doesn't want to sell it but I mean... it's an every man has his price thing. 

The mushroom coral isn't a joke, but it looks like a 10k coral and they are easy to propagate. 

Fish however you can't frag and some of those go for in the 1000's ez and fish up and die easier than corals imo. Here is one right now: https://www.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/product/453461/bali-aquarich-captive-bred-clarion-angelfish

There are very expensive KOI fish that that sell for 500,000 to a million, etc. 

Here is a 2.2 mil koi

?format=500w

Apparently one lived to 226 years tho so if you take care of it well... you can hand it off through your family generations.

• Like 3
ECLS Reefer
39 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Battlecorals is a great guy and the listing is just a joke because he doesn't want to sell it but I mean... it's an every man has his price thing. 

The mushroom coral isn't a joke, but it looks like a 10k coral and they are easy to propagate. 

Fish however you can't frag and some of those go for in the 1000's ez and fish up and die easier than corals imo. Here is one right now: https://www.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/product/453461/bali-aquarich-captive-bred-clarion-angelfish

There are very expensive KOI fish that that sell for 500,000 to a million, etc. 

Here is a 2.2 mil koi

?format=500w

Apparently one lived to 226 years tho so if you take care of it well... you can hand it off through your family generations.

I wonder if my boys will hand my koi down for that many generations? They're like my little dogs.

• Like 4

Battlecorals has had this up for a long time, it means he will not sell it (yet).  I know people who would buy that mushroom in an instant.  I have a friend who bought a pair of the tank-raised angels that Wittenrich is raising and selling - he paid $15,000.  

I woundnt spend enormous $$ for a coral although there are some blastomussa that look REALLY nice, but I have spent $2000 for an orchid and $1500 each for several wild red discus - but I bred those and made the money back (I breed and sell orchids as well).  

• Like 4

The BC one is a joke. But regarding the prices in this hobby, on one hand I'm an ardent supporter of a free market so people have every right to ask any price they want and others have every right to pay it. And if they do, then that's the value. 

On the other hand its unfortunate for me and my lack of money, and though there's clearly a little greed involved in some pricing I strongly believe people have the right to be and do things I don't like, including being greedy. Admittedly even if I had the money I wouldn't pay some of these prices on general pricipal, and I think prices are often high just because there's a lot of wealthy people in the hobby willing to throw money around, and those willing to take advantage of it.  But again, while that can suck, that's their right. 

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

It’s all about where you’re at in life... There was a point in my life where $5 was an amount of money I would agonize over spending... A couple of weeks ago, I spent $800 on rock flowers. Granted, I had been drinking that evening, and my S/O(the tank keeper) gave me the ok. Point being, $800 is a lot of money to a lot of people... But where I’m at in life, it’s neither going to make me, or break me. Who are we to judge what others spend their money on? 

• Haha 4

I am embarrassed to say how much I spent on my cats but some people spend 1000's on dogs and reality is we could just get free ones...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
NoOneLikesADryTang
2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I am embarrassed to say how much I spent on my cats but some people spend 1000's on dogs and reality is we could just get free ones...

Don’t even get us guys started on how much we’ve paid for “cats”... 

• Haha 4
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I just had no idea that was a joke, but that mushroom is gorgeous, I can see how people would spend that kind of money on that.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
35 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Midlife crisis...

buy more coral

I would buy that mushroom if I had that kind of extra money, and I made sure my tank is perfect. I wouldn’t even risk it if it may melt😂.