SaltCritters.com

Single T5 to add to an LED lit open-top RSR 170?

burtbollinger

burtbollinger

I'd love to be able to add a single clean 24" fixture, set on top of a Red Sea Reefer 170.  I run a Nan-Box Duo, but was thinking about adding just a tad more light during peak lighting hours.  Does such a plug and play fixture exist?   Just a contained, single CLEAN T5 fixure with legs I can plop on top of the tank?

OR would this not even be worth it?  

@DaveFason

20 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

I'd love to be able to add a single clean 24" fixture, set on top of a Red Sea Reefer 170.  I run a Nan-Box Duo, but was thinking about adding just a tad more light during peak lighting hours.  Does such a plug and play fixture exist?   Just a contained, single CLEAN T5 fixure with legs I can plop on top of the tank?

OR would this not even be worth it?  

@DaveFason

What if I told you I may have a 12" Hybrid option that use pretty decent bulbs... Very, very soon...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

Sunblaster 24in T5 with reflector. As simple as it gets, cheap, and doesn't hurt the eyes as far as aesthetics go.

I run two with my lighting. T5/LED combo is my go to for lighting.

Not NB LEDs so I'm not sure how you would mount but these 24in fixture with bulb are super super light weight. Maybe you could fashion it on the back side of the NB?

20190311_151348.thumb.jpg.510dcd3237c31b15a8f67dda7cbdd9b9.jpg

20190311_151359.jpg

Tom@HaslettMI
1 hour ago, DaveFason said:

What if I told you I may have a 12" Hybrid option that use pretty decent bulbs... Very, very soon...

I’ve been wanting to add T5 to my Duo as well!

@DaveFason What does it take to become a Beta tester?

Tom

17 hours ago, Tom@HaslettMI said:

I’ve been wanting to add T5 to my Duo as well!

@DaveFason What does it take to become a Beta tester?

Tom

I'll have the first body and set of bulbs next week. Keeping my fingers crossed. 

18 hours ago, OverCookedRock said:

Sunblaster 24in T5 with reflector. As simple as it gets, cheap, and doesn't hurt the eyes as far as aesthetics go.

I run two with my lighting. T5/LED combo is my go to for lighting.

Not NB LEDs so I'm not sure how you would mount but these 24in fixture with bulb are super super light weight. Maybe you could fashion it on the back side of the NB?

20190311_151348.thumb.jpg.510dcd3237c31b15a8f67dda7cbdd9b9.jpg

20190311_151359.jpg

Like this user said, this is a greta option too. Cheap and simple. I think @teenyreef uses these as well?

burtbollinger
2 hours ago, Noinoi24 said:

I’m sure you can trying incorporating NanoBox Duo with the AquaticLife T5 Hybrid?

picture for reference*

27917A8C-9B14-4857-8D0F-833676DA62D4.jpeg

Gooseneck in the Nanobox is the issue

23 hours ago, DaveFason said:

whoa... interested 🙂 Just brought home a red sea reefer nano recently and that kessil it came with has got to go. 😜

• Like 1

We can remove the gooseneck. The Aquatic Life fixtures are nice but large, wiring on both sides and you have to use a hanging kit. The Duo is 12" so it should sit inside the same attachment as the Radion/AI rails. 

This kit looks like a better option. 

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/24-stellar-t5-4x24w-hybrid-retro-light-fixture-giesemann.html

I am still curious why they both leave out a splash guard for the T5's. The amount of grime and gunk that the lights are exposed to cant be good for long term success. 

-Dave

Tom@HaslettMI

The AL T5 Hybrid (or Giesemann) would be total overkill for for the OP... they asked about adding a single T5.

I am in a similar boat.  I’d like to add a pair of T5s to the mix, not two pair.

Tom 

burtbollinger
7 hours ago, Tom@HaslettMI said:

The AL T5 Hybrid (or Giesemann) would be total overkill for for the OP... they asked about adding a single T5.

I am in a similar boat.  I’d like to add a pair of T5s to the mix, not two pair.

Tom 

I might just stick with the original nano-box and or wait for what Dave is cooking up

• Like 1
On 3/13/2019 at 8:53 AM, DaveFason said:

I'll have the first body and set of bulbs next week. Keeping my fingers crossed. 

Like this user said, this is a greta option too. Cheap and simple. I think @teenyreef uses these as well?

I use two of these (Sunblasters) on my IM40 with the Nanobox Wide Quad. They come with hanging brackets but I made a simple bracket that lets them sit on top of the Nanobox.

They work very well especially for the price. Do they give as much light as an equivalent ATI? No, the reflectors and ballasts don't compare at all. But the reflectors are much better than the average cheap grow light, so you do get a lot for the money.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I use two of these (Sunblasters) on my IM40 with the Nanobox Wide Quad. They come with hanging brackets but I made a simple bracket that lets them sit on top of the Nanobox.

They work very well especially for the price. Do they give as much light as an equivalent ATI? No, the reflectors and ballasts don't compare at all. But the reflectors are much better than the average cheap grow light, so you do get a lot for the money.

Yup. I the 2x I have get a little warm but for the price and the results I get in color and growth it's totally worth it. 

• Like 1