SaltCritters.com

How bad is this crack. And follow up question how quickly should I get a new tank

makingfilms

makingfilms

Was doing a 1 gallon change on my evo and noticed that it had cracked/chipped in the bottom corner. I recently moved apartments in my same building so I did take down the tank and physically move it right before thanksgiving and I could have cracked then but haven't noticed it until now. Which is unlike me because I have ocd about dents and scratches. 

I can can feel the crack. And it looks like it may be deep but it is hard to tell with refraction and everything. 

614C332F-35BD-4376-A897-E802A0910E51.jpeg

A90CA0D8-5FFD-497B-B068-4BB4D2ADD10D.jpeg

561CC10B-E3AA-4575-8202-637A3970C31A.jpeg

B0812752-4810-4AAC-A4E6-EA9C9EB7E4F4.jpeg

That’s bad news I’d personally replace it ASAP. Never know how fast that crack will grow. It looks like it could grow to fail catastrophicly and rain down salt water on your downstairs neighbor. Maybe temporarily buy a petco dollar a gallon tank

• Like 1
NuisanceAlgaeCultivator

Just be safe and change it as soon as you can. Look at this as a gift that you were afforded a warning crack and have a little time to address the issue... 🙂 

• Like 1
MainelyReefer

I ran an IM40 with this scallop shaped chip that didn’t reach through the silicon similar to your, ran it for a year and a half after the chip never had an issue and sold it after an upgrade, mine was on the bottomC127D52B-00BB-4AA1-B35B-BEEAB62234A0.thumb.jpeg.d8df6ddd8da0536ae130c0371dde06fb.jpeg

• Like 1
Christopher Marks
3 minutes ago, makingfilms said:

I'm leaning towards keeping it as is. Not really looking to buy another tank currently. I may throw some sealant on it to be safe. 

If the chip scallops outwards it should be fine, edge chips are not uncommon. If you decide to cover it with silicone, just use any 100% silicone and carefully prep the outside glass with rubbing alcohol to clean it before application.

• Thanks 1
makingfilms

Upon further inspection the chip is actually pretty deep close to the sillicon. My wife isn't gonna let me risk it. I bought a replacement switching it over to a Im14 

• Like 2
makingfilms

I haven't actually pulled the trigger. Just 13 gallons on the floor of this place would not be good (expensive hardwood in my place above expensive apartments with hardwood below).  My friend who works with glass as a professionally is gonna drop by and give me the  final word. I am positive it is a chip. But it there is more extensive cracking in the chip and it looks like a run that is hitting the seem. 

From a risk assessment if the crack has terminated you can evaluate what’s left to see if what is left will hold pressure. Leaving an active crack tip to grow where ever it may choose at at an unpredictable rate is asking for troubled. Hard to tell from the photos what you have. 

• Like 1