Pod Your Reef

Dustin's Biocube 16 LED reef

ReeferWade

Figured I should start a journal since I've started to learn so much after making a few mistakes. 

The pics are right after setup. The tank was started on 2/23/19 with this setup: 

10lbs Caribsea Liferock
10lbs Caribsea Live Sand

About a week after setup I added two b/w clownfish to help cycle it as well as adding Fritz Zyme 9 nitrifying bacteria. 

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

• Like 2

Over the last week I was told that corals aren't as sensitive to the cycling process so I added a few corals, by a few I mean quite a few. I also got a firefish, I know, I know. 

Corals: 

Orange Zoanthid

Green Zoanthid

Cabbage Leather

Green Star Polyp

Toad Stool Leather

Pulsing Xenia

Rainbow Acan

Favia

Hammer Green

Chalice

Finger Leather Coral

Alveopora

Encrusting Hydnophora

I've been keeping an eye on my levels and my ammonia and nitrites were very low, almost 0. I tested again this weekend and my Ammonia is at .2 and Nitrites at about 1.0. With some help from some very nice people on here and the folks at Fritz Aquatics the consensus was that the Purigen and the Chemipure that I put in was getting rid of the phosphates that the nitrifiers need to convert to nitrates and stunting the progress. That and I was moving too quickly, which I have a tendency to do but swore I wouldn't do it this time. I removed the Purigen and Chemipure and did about a 25% water change, am going to feed less and was told by Fritz that it should correct in a couple of days and get right back on track. I'm not touching it until it levels out. 

Lessons learned, hopefully others can learn from my mistakes as well. I hesitated to put any of this on here but with hope it'd help someone else from making the same mistakes so I relented and posted it. Be kind to me 😉

image1 3.jpeg

I almost forgot, I added the intank media basket and an Aqami KPS wavemaker as well. 

• Like 3
NuisanceAlgaeCultivator

I assume you mean 2/23/19, that said the last picture makes the tank look like it's been running a while already. Looks very nice so far!

• 2 weeks later...

Figured it was time to take a new FTS:

image1.thumb.jpeg.7443340ba811b3fd5f2dc94e5db81a8a.jpeg

Lots has happened in the last few weeks. My Nitrites are at near 0, almost undetectable and everthing is super happy! All corals are flourishing and fish are quite happy. I have learned so much along this process and am really enjoying everything.

• Like 5

Looks quite lovely so far ^^ Here's hoping that the good times continue to roll!

Don't get discouraged if some massive algal blooms or other obnoxious problems appear in the near future though. Your tank is richly stocked, but it's also still very young!

3 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Looks quite lovely so far ^^ Here's hoping that the good times continue to roll!

Don't get discouraged if some massive algal blooms or other obnoxious problems appear in the near future though. Your tank is richly stocked, but it's also still very young!

I appreciate that and totally understand. I'd be the first to admit that I didn't do everything the "safe" way but I am where I am now and am going to deal with what is thrown my way. I have had some algal blooms but nothing too major yet. I just stay on top of everything and hope for the best. I can be a little neurotic about cleaning and testing so we'll see how it all goes. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, ReeferWade said:

I can be a little neurotic about cleaning and testing so we'll see how it all goes. 

I've found that being neurotic is actually a major asset in this hobby 😉 I think your attention to detail will serve you very well. Following along!

Lots of change to this tank and very entertaining. Doing my best to be hands off and just let this tank be so it can grow. Most everything is happy in it. The finger leather I just split off so it's a little grumpy but goes in and out of being beautiful and being pissed anyway. Thank you all for being so kind and helpful! While I haven't done everything "by the book" or the traditional way I have learned so much.

image1.thumb.jpeg.2e4d3610c11f3c2dd38126cfeedbebfa.jpeg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, colinadam said:

Great looking tank, I am setting up a Biocube 16 this weekend, will be sure to follow your progress.

It’s a great tank, feel free to shoot me a message if you have any questions!

Loving this tank. Things are settling in and  getting comfortable. Switched a few of the corals over to my other tank so this one isn’t so crowded. 

906B405B-EB6D-4BF5-ABB2-D73262BC5E4A.jpeg

33B31731-A8FD-4BAA-9DDE-3C125E48EADB.jpeg

• Like 1

Current Stock

Corals: 
Lots and lots of different Zoas

Duncans

Green Star Polyp

Rainbow Acan colony

Green Acan colony
Orange Acan colony

Hammer Green

Chalice

Finger Leather Coral

Alveopora

Pulsing Xenia

Inverts: 

Rose Bubble Tip Anemone
Orange Bubble Tip Anemone

Livestock: 
2 Darwin Clown Fish
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Firefish
1 Emerald Crab
Various hermits and snails

1 Cleaner shrimp

• 2 months later...

So much change going on.... thanks to some recent advice from @WV Reefer I made the decision to go fiterless. I do have a biocube skimmer running as well as some seachem matrix to help support some pod population but beyond that she's au naturale! We'll see how it goes. I'm going to try this along with feeding "a lot" less. No more spot feeding the corals and only very light broadcast with benereef. Really interested to see where this goes and will report back for sure. 

A lot of the current stock has changed so here is an updated list. Will update pictures later. 

Current Stock

Corals: 

Green Star Polyp

Different Acans

Frogspawn

Hammer Green

Alveopora

Pulsing Xenia

Leptastrea

Elegance Coral

Gorgonians

Inverts: 
Rock Flower Anemone

Livestock: 
1 Darwin Clown Fish, 1 regular Oscelaris

Spotted Mandarin
Six Line Wrasse
1 Emerald Crab

1 Cleaner shrimp

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, ReeferWade said:

So much change going on.... thanks to some recent advice from @WV Reefer I made the decision to go fiterless. I do have a biocube skimmer running as well as some seachem matrix to help support some pod population but beyond that she's au naturale! We'll see how it goes. I'm going to try this along with feeding "a lot" less. No more spot feeding the corals and only very light broadcast with benereef. Really interested to see where this goes and will report back for sure. 

A lot of the current stock has changed so here is an updated list. Will update pictures later. 

Current Stock

Corals: 

Green Star Polyp

Different Acans

Frogspawn

Hammer Green

Alveopora

Pulsing Xenia

Leptastrea

Elegance Coral

Gorgonians

Inverts: 
Rock Flower Anemone

Livestock: 
1 Darwin Clown Fish, 1 regular Oscelaris

Spotted Mandarin
Six Line Wrasse
1 Emerald Crab

1 Cleaner shrimp

I’m happy that I could be of some help 😊

We need a current pic! 

45 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I’m happy that I could be of some help 😊

We need a current pic! 

As soon as the lights come fully on i'll get some!

• Like 1