Innovative Marine Aquariums

Neon red algae on glass??🤔

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I have this algae that just randomly started popping up all over my tank, at first I thought that it was just cyano, but it looks nothing like it. And trust me, I know what cyano looks like. It’s a bright red during the day, and when I turn on the actinic lighting, it’s a neon red. It looks really awesome, but I want to know what it is before taking a course of action. I don’t have a picture right now, I’m not home. I tried to find it on google and nothing came up?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Tuan’s Reef said:

Possibly coraline algae. Is it hard to scrape off?

No not really. A turbo snail went over it, and he ate a ton of it, so it’s not cyano. I had cyano, and nothing would eat that.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

It’s not turf algae, I just searched that up

I’ll get a picture later tonight when I get home

It’s just such a bright red color, never seen something so bright

I'll bite...does it have any bubbles? 

Also this being the identification thread a picture is worth a 1000 words.

So far this is what I formed, sounds like a duck, possibly walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, but I cannot see whether it is a duck or not since there is no photo.

See what I am getting at?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
14 minutes ago, OverCookedRock said:

So far this is what I formed, sounds like a duck, possibly walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, but I cannot see whether it is a duck or not since there is no photo.

I know what you are saying, but I’m not home. I’ll get you one later tonight, check back in later. 

14 minutes ago, OverCookedRock said:

There are 3 separate patches of this stuff on my glass, one has a few small bubbles, while the other 2 do not

21 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I know what you are saying, but I’m not home. I’ll get you one later tonight, check back in later. 

There are 3 separate patches of this stuff on my glass, one has a few small bubbles, while the other 2 do not

BUBBLES! Yeah it's cyano my dude. 

VERY common from Petco livestock (not a dis, just an observation). Their tanks are infamous for that slimey red goodness. Cyano being a bacteria has many many variations of it so therefore can appear differently and have different coloring.

CUC will sometimes eat anything so don't let that make you think it is not Cyano. I have witnessed Turbos eating bubble algae and even diatoms. If your CUC eats it away you got some good luck but I am thinking it is Cyano. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
34 minutes ago, OverCookedRock said:

BUBBLES! Yeah it's cyano my dude. 

VERY common from Petco livestock (not a dis, just an observation). Their tanks are infamous for that slimey red goodness. Cyano being a bacteria has many many variations of it so therefore can appear differently and have different coloring.

CUC will sometimes eat anything so don't let that make you think it is not Cyano. I have witnessed Turbos eating bubble algae and even diatoms. If your CUC eats it away you got some good luck but I am thinking it is Cyano. 

21 minutes ago, MrObscura said:

Sounds like cyano. 

The first time I saw it in a tank at a lfs I had no idea wtf it was. It was this weird glowing red stuff. Lol

That’s crazy, I didn’t think that I could have 2 different kinds of it in my tank😂.

It’s actually kinda pretty. Wish it was something actually good for my tank, and I would keep it😂.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

That’s crazy, I didn’t think that I could have 2 different kinds of it in my tank😂.

It’s actually kinda pretty. Wish it was something actually good for my tank, and I would keep it😂.

I was about to leave a detailed reply but I dug...

Are you trolling us man? You already have a handful of post about CYANO.

This is just too much^^^^

I don't know what you are doing, I kind of wish the mods would be a little more active on repetitive post but you are digging yourself a hole in the community where less and less are going to give you advice. You're killing way too much livestock and it seems like you don't really know what you are doing. That is fact and not opinion. 

We all make mistakes in this hobby but I think you need some accountability. 

Jeez

• Like 5
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
6 hours ago, OverCookedRock said:

I was about to leave a detailed reply but I dug...

Are you trolling us man? You already have a handful of post about CYANO.

I don't know what you are doing, I kind of wish the mods would be a little more active on repetitive post but you are digging yourself a hole in the community where less and less are going to give you advice. You're killing way too much livestock and it seems like you don't really know what you are doing. That is fact and not opinion. 

We all make mistakes in this hobby but I think you need some accountability. 

Jeez

No, I got rid of the cyano for a good while, it just came back as a bright red I guess. I’m sorry about repetitive posts, I had no idea that this was cyano

7 hours ago, OverCookedRock said:

Wow, that's a lot of threads... 

Looks like OP needs to read around the forums a bit before starting all these threads. Theres a lot of information out there if you take a minute to search for it. Or maybe just make ONE tank journal and ask for help there. 

• Like 4
NuisanceAlgaeCultivator

You gotta take a step back, reassess the scenario and refocus on the fundamentals of routine maintenance and water quality. No new corals, no new fish, just research maintenance and dig in for the long haul. It’s a marathon...I’m going through a similar scenario.

You might have once gotten rid of it on the surface but it’s back in less than a couple weeks apparently.

Just relax take it slow and see if you can get the tank running nice and clean for a month or two as an initial goal. Everyone’s looking to help each other best we can, but you gotta help us help you.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
4 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Wow, that's a lot of threads... 

Looks like OP needs to read around the forums a bit before starting all these threads. Theres a lot of information out there if you take a minute to search for it. Or maybe just make ONE tank journal and ask for help there. 

2 minutes ago, NuisanceAlgaeCultivator said:

You gotta take a step back, reassess the scenario and refocus on the fundamentals of routine maintenance and water quality. No new corals, no new fish, just research maintenance and dig in for the long haul. It’s a marathon...I’m going through a similar scenario.

You might have once gotten rid of it on the surface but it’s back in less than a couple weeks apparently.

Just relax take it slow and see if you can get the tank running nice and clean for a month or two as an initial goal. Everyone’s looking to help each other best we can, but you gotta help us help you.

I have a tank journal, but every time I post something on there asking for help, I don’t get any replies? I’ll just start posting stuff in there tho.

And back to the cyano that was bright red. I got home, and it was all gone, every piece of it.  Very strange

29 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I have a tank journal, but every time I post something on there asking for help, I don’t get any replies? I’ll just start posting stuff in there tho.

And back to the cyano that was bright red. I got home, and it was all gone, every piece of it.  Very strange

You don't get replies because you don't take any time to research and you also don't seem too keen to read what advice people give you. Maybe there's been a little too much of the boy who cried wolf?

This isn't a place to expect an answer. The forum isn't Google. It's actual people taking the time and day to read and respond to inquires of other actual people. 

So by continuously ignoring advice, clogging up the thread because you want people to see your post and respond to it, and at the cost of marine life... I think is really starting to rub people the wrong way.

This isn't Facebook or Instagram, it's a place to share and enjoy the hobby. Please be courteous to its members and actually take in what people say along with be mindful of clogging the feed. 

There are others that would like their threads read and responded to as well. Making a new post every time is sorta like cutting in line and has gotten to the point of "what now?". 

But seriously, you really are starting to rub people the wrong way. Soon enough no one will respond to your post. 

Cheers,

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 minutes ago, OverCookedRock said:

You don't get replies because you don't take any time to research and you also don't seem too keen to read what advice people give you. Maybe there's been a little too much of the boy who cried wolf?

This isn't a place to expect an answer. The forum isn't Google. It's actual people taking the time and day to read and respond to inquires of other actual people. 

So by continuously ignoring advice, clogging up the thread because you want people to see your post and respond to it, and at the cost of marine life... I think is really starting to rub people the wrong way.

This isn't Facebook or Instagram, it's a place to share and enjoy the hobby. Please be courteous to its members and actually take in what people say along with be mindful of clogging the feed. 

There are others that would like their threads read and responded to as well. Making a new post every time is sorta like cutting in line and has gotten to the point of "what now?". 

But seriously, you really are starting to rub people the wrong way. Soon enough no one will respond to your post. 

Ok thanks🙃😞