Cultivated Reef

Would you trust this?

CanYouHearMeMeow

CanYouHearMeMeow

My 10g is sitting on this IKEA table,no bowing whatsoever. I had a 300 pound person stand on this table and it didn't creak. I just bought a 20L and was wondering if you think this is a good idea before I set this new tank on there to switch out the 10g. The table frame is metal . What do you guys think? I just don't know what the weight threshold is for the necessity of a middle brace in a stand.

Attached a pic of the table for reference ! 

Note: their website does not list weight limits on this product

IMG_3826.PNG

I think your tank actually holds about 16-17 gallons of water as the "size" that is advertised is rounded up and based on the out dimensions.  At 8 pounds a gallon, that is 136, give or take.  Add 25-30 pounds of live rock, another 30 of live sand (to be generous) you are up to 200 or so.  Tank weighs another 10 or so I would think so maybe you are somewhere around 225 at most lbs when stocked full?  Seems to me if you saw no issues with a 300+ pound "test" then you should be fine.  

Maybe you could move table outside, borrow some gym weights (or fill tank with water, and or add several bags of sand to simulate the weight) and wiggle it around a bit to see what happens?  My thinking is to try to simulate more/worst case scenario to test the limits.  I am no engineer, but strain/weight over time can affect the integrity.  Maybe a pic of the under side/close up of the welds/design would help someone to better estimate the strength?  It looks a bit thin/top heavy to me.  Maybe consider adding some weight at bottom to make it more stable?  

It is a nice looking table so I can see why you are drawn to it.  

Good luck!  

Center bracing is less critical with standard tanks as the weight is on the outer edges of the tank, the bottom glass is elevated.

How stable was table? With a tank, you also need to consider stability with water sloshing around. If you are in an earthquake prone area (or have young kids), that is another thing to consider. See if you can get the wall tie-in brackets from the damaged/clearance section from another piece of furniture or get some angle supports or corner brackets from a local hardware store to tie the table to the wall if there are stability concerns.