inTank Media Baskets

New 29gal Biocube

camperich

Started my Biocube Tuesday 3/5/19

40 lbs. of CaribSea Fiji Pink Sand
10 lbs. of CaribSea base rock
8 lbs. of Live Rock from LFS (looking to add one more piece)
Water is Reef Crystals from LFS

InTank Media Basket - Filter Floss > Bag of Carbon (now)
Filter Floss > Purigen > Chemi-Pure Elite (once cycled)
Comline DOC Protein Skimmer 9001 (add after cycle)

Stock Pump

Stock lighting
Koralia 425gph pump
100W heater

PH 7.8-8
Ammonia .25 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm

So my plan is all LPS and softies. Thinking frog spawn, mushrooms, green star polyp as my start. 2 clowns for sure and not really sure on the rest. I plan to upgrade the hood to the LED version before I add coral. Any suggestions or feedback is welcome as I am a newby. Already can't stop looking at my tank, even though it is empty. Picture below.

-Rich 

file_zpsnvzdbvko.jpeg

• Like 2

3/18/19

Tank has cycled. Heading to LFS tonight to buy another piece of rock (small piece), and plan on doing a 40% water change when I get home. Was thinking about picking up some inverts tonight...wondering if anyone has some good suggestions with the information I provided above about my plan (soft coral tank)...Also, could someone point me towards how to add them, like I've read dripping technique, or is there simpler ways?

Changed up the aquascape too. Will post pictures later. 

Thanks,
Rich 

NuisanceAlgaeCultivator

A biocube is a good way to start the hobby, and everything you've mentioned sounds like a nice safe plan.  Duncans, Candy Cane, and Zoanthids, are some beginner friendly corals that can give your tank a few more colors if you want. 
Not sure if you plan on adding more fish down the road but maybe keep in mind that a mated pair of clowns can sometimes get pretty territorial. 

For inverts I've had a coral banded shrimp for about a year now that leaves all the other inhabitants (including coral) alone. Just hangs out and eats scrap food.

The Blood Red Fire Shrimp is one heck of a color splash to nearly any tank though. 

When I started the hobby and honestly today for more hearty animals I'll use the floating method. I use drip technique for everything I feel would be sensitive or cost too much to risk lol. Probably just my own superstitions though, neither has ever failed.  Here's an article on both. 

https://m.liveaquaria.com/article/157/?aid=157

Good luck!

• Like 1

3/25/19

PH 8
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 10 ppm

Temp: 77F

So I added 4 turbo snails and 5 hermits on 3/19 and they seem to be doing good. This was after my first algae bloom around the same time. I had asked for snails at the LFS and they gave me turbo. I should have paid attention more because I didn't want these big guys, so I am going to return them today and get others. I added the clown on Saturday, and he seems to be doing good. Ate a lot today. However, he does seem to stay near the front and swims along the glass. is this normal? will he ever swim back by the rocks? 

My water is real clear, and my skimmer is running, but the skim still seems to be just clear and white foam. I am sure this will change once I have a bigger bio load? 

Thanks,
Rich 

IMG_0614_zpszvtidjbj.jpg

IMG_0616_zpst80dgmxb.jpg

• Like 1
Toasteh_ghost

I’m really liking the tank so far, Rich! I wouldn’t worry about the clown too much - my pair hosted the back corner for the first week and only occassionally swam around. 

I’m not sure running a skimmer is warranted at this point in the tank’s life. The bioload is low and so are your nutrients, so it may be over-kill. Just my $.02. I, personally, would give the tank time to mature a bit before I started worrying about nutrient load. If you decide to add another clown, make a much smaller one to try to avoid aggression from the current one ( no guarantee on that tho). Clown’s are funny creatures. I had a pair for almost 2 years and as the larger one matured, the female became very aggressive toward the smaller male, esp at feeding time. I could hear her hit him and he became very shy and hung out in one corner. I finally traded him out and the female’s been good since. Your clown should start to explore the tank soon, once it becomes unstressed from the move. Consider quarantining future fish to avoid introduction of disease to the 29. You’ll be glad you did.

For your CUC, I'd leave the turbo snails in and just add more variety as you add more fish and coral to the tank.  Astrea, Cerith, Nessarius, Trochus, etc.  When you go to add another fish or coral, add another CUC or two.

10 minutes ago, Lognor said:

For your CUC, I'd leave the turbo snails in and just add more variety as you add more fish and coral to the tank.  Astrea, Cerith, Nessarius, Trochus, etc.  When you go to add another fish or coral, add another CUC or two.

I've just read that turbos will knock coral over. Is this accurate? 

15 minutes ago, camperich said:

I've just read that turbos will knock coral over. Is this accurate? 

They are big enough to bump them over, yes.  If they're secured to the rock, you won't have any issues.

• 2 weeks later...

4/4/19

Already feeling the pain of this hobby in my wallet. It is so hard to leave the LFS without buying something. 

I received the LED lid and installed it...what a difference. Really like the functionality and colors of it. With it, I decided it was time to add some coral. I have a small frag of Green Star Polyp, a small frag of some orange Zoas (can't really see in picture below), and a decent size Frog Spawn (3 heads). I also picked up a Green Clown Goby, which likes to hide a lot. Provides a good game of "spot the fish". 

Now for the questions... Do I need to start testing KH/Alk, Ca, Mg on a regular basis? Will regular water changes work for now? Also, my tank does smell a little when I open the lid...does anyone have a remedy?

Thanks,
Rich 

20190403_192135_zpsbmuiwnrt.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

6/16/19

PH 8
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm

Temp: 77F

Update: Added a pulsing Xenia, that seems to be doing good. And I added a peppermint shrimp. The algae is really taking over as of the last two days, and right after a water change. I just changed out the filter floss, as it was brown, so maybe that was contributing. However, the Protein Skimmer is actually serving a purpose now. I just changed the Chemipure Elite and Purigen. However any suggestions for hair algae and bubble algae would be appreciated. I want to add more critters anyways. I think I read that Emerald Crabs will help with bubble algae, but would that work with a peppermint shrimp and an aggressive clown.

A lot of my hermits go missing, and I think the clown may be the reason but not sure. Also, do I need to be testing anything besides water parameters above?

Thanks,
Rich

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg