Innovative Marine Aquariums

Coral food

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Hello, it’s me again, sorry for posting so much lately. I was just wondering if I could make my own coral food? I have a bag of frozen scallops that I can unthaw and grind up, and I also have frozen mysis. Would any of these work, or should I go buy something? The reason I, asking is bc my LFS doesn’t have anything even related to coral food, and I’ve been asking them to get some in for the past 4 weeks. They say they will get some, but they never do.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

And would this only work for certain corals? I only have a Hollywood stunner chalice, a blue discoma and a pocillopora frag.

• 2 months later...

Corals are extremely adept at feeding on both dissolved nutrients and particulate matter...Because of this, there is almost no need to directly feed corals. Often, coral food ends up being waste in the tank or food that just gets snarfed up directly by the cleanup crew, making them lazy toward algae in the process.

By far the best way to feed corals is to simply feed your fish well with high-quality reef oriented food.  Every byproduct from the fish eating is literally ideal coral food. 

Speaking from experience, even in a tank without fish, it takes an extremely tiny amount of food for corals to grow like crazy... so if you do feed, keep it to a minimum