Top Shelf Aquatics

Help Choosing RODI System

Tigahboy

Any thoughts on choosing between these 2 RODI systems?    

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/4-stage-value-plus-ro-di-system-bulk-reef-supply.html

https://www.marinedepot.com/Marine_Depot_KleanWater_4_Stage_Advanced_RO_DI_System_100_GPD_90_to_180_Gallons_Per_Day_RO_DI_Water_Filter_Systems-Marine_Depot-MD9115-FIRORDNH-vi.html

Leaning towards the MD only because it is a little cheaper, but they seem identical otherwise.  If I'm missing something, do let me know.  And if anyone uses either, I would appreciate your thoughts.  Thank you!

32 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Any thoughts on choosing between these 2 RODI systems?    

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/4-stage-value-plus-ro-di-system-bulk-reef-supply.html

https://www.marinedepot.com/Marine_Depot_KleanWater_4_Stage_Advanced_RO_DI_System_100_GPD_90_to_180_Gallons_Per_Day_RO_DI_Water_Filter_Systems-Marine_Depot-MD9115-FIRORDNH-vi.html

Leaning towards the MD only because it is a little cheaper, but they seem identical otherwise.  If I'm missing something, do let me know.  And if anyone uses either, I would appreciate your thoughts.  Thank you!

I think you'd be happy either way. The BRS system has a more robust flush valve (this may not matter whatsoever) and the BRS version I believe comes with the ASO valve pre-installed. The ASO valve cuts production via pressure when a float valve is installed on the clean water output. 

The MD system has a smaller micron sediment filter, doesn't specify on carbon block. I believe the smaller micron pre-filters extend DI and Membrane life, but may require slightly higher operating pressure. 

1 minute ago, Privateer said:

I recently bought the brs value plus system and a booster pump, it works for me...seems like quality product.

Awesome.  Good to hear!

I love my spectrapure! Customer service is excellent as well.. they walked me through adding a booster pump...flood guardian and shut off pressure point years later after I bought the system. They also helped me set it up to make both RO and RODI. 

You would think this crap would be easy but every video online shows it in a different place and it wasn't working like how the videos showed.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I love my spectrapure! Customer service is excellent as well.. they walked me through adding a booster pump...flood guardian and shut off pressure point years later after I bought the system. They also helped me set it up to make both RO and RODI. 

You would think this crap would be easy but every video online shows it in a different place and it wasn't working like how the videos showed.

Good to hear!  Too many decisions to make!  Ahhhhh!

52 minutes ago, Friendly said:

I'm curious...do any of you have a RODI installed for personal use that you piggie back water for your tanks?

Mine makes RO for drinking and RODI for the reef if that is what you mean

• Like 1

yes...I just wonder if there are any big differences between RODI for ppl vs. aquariums.

I wouldn't think so, but never ever hurts to ask and be sure, right?

14 minutes ago, Friendly said:

yes...I just wonder if there are any big differences between RODI for ppl vs. aquariums.

We drink RO...soo no DI and a carbon polishing filter on the drinking side for taste.

RODI tatses nasty but it can easily be set up to make both.

13 minutes ago, Friendly said:

Most drink the RO water (pre-DI stage) and leave the water post-DI stage for the reef tank.  Some people say drinking a lot of DI water is actually bad for you while others say it's not bad per se (so long as you are getting minerals and such from other sources).  I think RO water already tastes a little funny/too pure already, and filtering it further through the DI stage makes it taste terrible.  

we're in a rental and my wife is a pack rat...I'll probably have to get a portable system that I can bypass so I can fill up one of those cooler bottles or sumfin.

thanks for the clarification. OP, sorry for the threadjack, though I hope this info helps you out too. 🙂

1 minute ago, Friendly said:

ahh...you have a bypass switch in place so you get RO to tap and RODI for your aquariums when needed?

I have a RO system under my sink that feeds my fridge water and water faucet for drinking.  I was considering just adding a DI canister to that for the reef tank (in the manner Tamberav posted above) , but I'm just going to buy a separate 4 stage unit and set it up either in laundry room or garage since I have like ZERO space to put a container in the kitchen to fill up RODI water for the tank after it filters it.

37 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Mine makes RO for drinking and RODI for the reef if that is what you mean

Where does your water come from?

We live on a well and haven't tested our water. Some people in our neighborhood drink it out of the tap. We buy bottled/gallon drinking water. 

The company that installed our water softener (before we bought the house) wanted $1500 to install an under-the-sink ro unit with a 5 gallon tank... they said it was that pricey because "it has a 25 year warranty and internal pump". 😳

16 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

We live on a well and haven't tested our water. Some people in our neighborhood drink it out of the tap. We buy bottled/gallon drinking water. 

The company that installed our water softener (before we bought the house) wanted $1500 to install an under-the-sink ro unit with a 5 gallon tank... they said it was that pricey because "it has a 25 year warranty and internal pump". 😳

25 year warranty is pretty long...but once something like that is so long in tooth, it's hard to get it if needed...brand or reseller is gone or bought out and new management won't honor etc. but that's crazy...I had one 10 years ago, 4 stage RO with installation for $250.00.

6 minutes ago, Friendly said:

but that's crazy...

We spend $10 a week on water. It would take us over 12 years to break even on buying that ro from them.

40 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

What the f? I installed mine myself with a 4 dollar part from BRS. RODIs don't break anyways. No moving parts unless you use a pump and they are like 80 bucks...1500 is a lot just to make it internal. 

It is city water.

Customer support is free from spectrapure and probably any company that specializes in RODI...filter guys...ect...and they can walk a person through installation...they just have me send pics 

• Like 1