Top Shelf Aquatics

Frogspawn head looks like it wants to fall off??

mccarrick

Hey all,

I noticed today a sigfificant amout of my frogspawn's skeleton showing. It had been doing just fine for about a month and I added an anemone that got close to it. I watched it to see if they touched but I never saw them touching. I moed it to the bottom of the tank to hopefully have less flow. Was that a good call? Anything else I should do? I did do a water change today already and as far as I know my levels are all fine. I'm getting a new test kit to make sure I'm not being told false numbers by an old kit. My hammer is doing just fine and was right next to it and it is not having the same problems. Any help is greately appreciated. 

20190307_153847.jpg

It looks more deflated than usual since I had just moved it to a new location.

20190307_153745.jpg

20190307_153738.jpg

burtbollinger

I am in a similar situation wih a branching gold hammer.  All my research says you are doing everything right.  Be patient and make sure your parameters are solid (and correct). Make sure not too much flow and it should heal. 

I am am boosting my aminos and feeding mine every other day and watching VERY closely for BJD.

NOT dipping...btw

If if this is incorrect please someone chime in...I’d like to know

I took my tank with me to college and I have limited acces to supplies and it is difficult to get to any sort of LFS... plus they're closed this time. I keep popping up to check on it every 30 minutes or so... makes my homework go by very slowly😂. Are yours at the same point? When I was looking at pictures to see if I could find anything similar, I found a lot that had just popped off entirely. Luckily I noticed before that happened and so far they're still pretty solidly on I think. 

I have had that happen to mine. I haven't had one since, but I can tell you that regular weekly 20-30% water changes has made a tremendous impact on my corals health and I recommend keeping up on the maintenance routine.

It could have been due to too much flow.

When euphyllia is in high flow, particularly being drawn to one side, it can cause the flesh to recede.

Another issue can be alk swings.

Most of us have had this happen.

I have not found waterchanges to affect the outcome differently unless your water quality is an issue.

Feeding them twice a week is more than plenty. If you have fish, 1 time a week is enough.

So the first thing is, was it under too much flow and the other is, is your alk fluctuating daily?

I just measured my KH and it's pretty low. I'm not sure how much it fluctuates throughout the day/week since I hadn't been testing regularly because everything was nice and happy. 

2 minutes ago, mccarrick said:

I just measured my KH and it's pretty low. I'm not sure how much it fluctuates throughout the day/week since I hadn't been testing regularly because everything was nice and happy. 

Alk is a parameter that is extremely important for stony corals. 

What is low? 

The only way to know fluctuations is for a week, daily testing of alk.

1. Test newly mixed SW. Your alk is the target number it mixes at if within normal range.

2. Test tank after waterchange- should be close if not the same as the newly mixed water.

3. Test every day same time.

This will determine how much alk is being used.

I'm around 120 ppm.... it's supposed to be around 140? I do have more coral in the tank than I've ever had before though most are softies, I have 3 LPS and one SPS. How can I get it high enough? I don't want to shock the tank or anything by changing too many things at once. 

8 minutes ago, mccarrick said:

I'm around 120 ppm.... it's supposed to be around 140? I do have more coral in the tank than I've ever had before though most are softies, I have 3 LPS and one SPS. How can I get it high enough? I don't want to shock the tank or anything by changing too many things at once. 

You dose to replenish your alk usage not to get it to a "magic" number.

You need to know where you begin with alk and how much is used daily to properly maintain your target alk.

Target alk being what your salt mixes at and tank starts with after a waterchange

The method of testing everyday is how you prevent issues and properly diagnose the situation.

Blindly dosing is a disaster waiting to happen. No one advises it for that reason.

Your alk is at 6.7 that's getting low.

But without knowing where it began, how much is used in a day, or every other day, I wouldn't start dosing until you have the 3 major answers.

1. What does my salt mix at

2. What is my alk start at after a waterchange

3. How much is it dropping every day

I've never dosed before since I had pretty much nothing in my tank and just the tank was doing okay with just the water changes since it's a 16 gal. What is your preferred brand for dosing?

2 minutes ago, mccarrick said:

I've never dosed before since I had pretty much nothing in my tank and just the tank was doing okay with just the water changes since it's a 16 gal. What is your preferred brand for dosing?

I use esv bionic 2 part. It keeps my alk st target levels and keeps ca and alk balanced since both parameters effect eachother

So I just tested some water that I mixed earlier and the KH is even lower than it is in the tank. It's reading under 100ppm. I use instant ocean and have it at 1.022 for my salinity. Only difference is that this water is not up to temp. 

2 hours ago, mccarrick said:

So I just tested some water that I mixed earlier and the KH is even lower than it is in the tank. It's reading under 100ppm. I use instant ocean and have it at 1.022 for my salinity. Only difference is that this water is not up to temp. 

For corals salinity needs to be 1.025 or 1.026

When you mix the water to those levels, your params should increase.

• Like 1