Coral Vue Hydros

cephalopods are nuts!

Friendly

32 minutes ago, Beer said:

It is amazing how intelligent they are for an animal that typically only lives for a year.

oh wow...I never knew that. what a short life span! that's really sad.  😞 

Yeah, it is kind of disheartening that something with that much intelligence can live such a short life. I wonder if there are creatures on other planets that would think the same about us.

I haven’t had one personally, so I do not know what they have for personality. Intelligence does not necessarily equate to having a personality as we typically percieve it, but it is hard to imagine a creature that requires mental stimulation, like puzzles and will do things like use shells and coconut husks to ambush prey or mimic hermit crabs by manipulating their color patterns and movements to sneak up on fish, would lack the capacity to develop some sort of personality.

• Like 1

well, watching human interactions with them...they've definitely got personality. it would be quite the loss to get so invested in a creatures livelihood only to have it die. wiki says the popular dwarf octopus have a span of only 6 - 8 months. so disheartening...

• Sad 1

I think that is why I would try to breed them if I ended up keeping them. If you were able to keep several generations (not sure if back crossing or breeding siblings is okay like with fish and shrimp), it might make it more rewarding, or at least not as devistating, when they die of old age in a single school year.

you'd need such a big tank...cause I think even the small dwarf need a 75 gallon or larger...and a very advanced water exchange system to flush if they release ink in a panic for some reason. they're not a cheap proposition!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2019 at 10:02 AM, Friendly said:

oh wow...I never knew that. what a short life span! that's really sad.  😞 

some can reach 2 years. still, thats really short