Coral Vue Hydros

brine shrimp have no nutrition?

Aquatic Spendthrift

Aquatic Spendthrift

Its quite wide spread that brine shimp should not be a staple food in a fish diet since it has no nutrition but where did this idea come from. I see no reason why brine shrimp is worse than mysis shrimp. I feed about 75/25 brine to omega one pelts since brine was what my lfs caried. Any good reason to swich? Is mysis realy that much better,how?

• 2 weeks later...

The nutritional value of brine is dependent on what they are fed and their age. If they are fed brown algaes, and lots of it, along with vitamins and fatty acids they can be nutritious. These are usually called enriched. Even enriched, they are nowhere near as nutritious as mysis.

However, brown algae is much more difficult to culture than something like nannochloropsis which isn't.

Baby brine are hatched with a nutritional packet to survive until they can eat, so live baby brine are good. Problem is, unless you hatched them and they are only a couple hours old, they use it up right away.

How nutritious they are to a particular fish also has a lot to do with their digestive tract.

However, their composition compared to mysis makes the choice a no-brainer when it comes to frozen. Frozen brine is typically less than 5% protein and 1% fat. PE mysis is almost 70% protein and 9% fat.