Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

10G Nuvo - New Build - "Black Sands Island"

Reidallaboutit

Reidallaboutit

This will be my first AIO build. The "look" I'll be aiming for is a clean, simple, minimalist design. It will be hard not to pack it with coral but I want to stay strong and stick to the minimalism idea.

EQUIPMENT LIST / INITIAL SETUP

IM 10g NUVO - New from MarineDepot - $99 shipped

Kessil A-80 with gooseneck and spectral controller - Reef2Reef user - $150 shipped (I may sell the controller because I'm not 100% sure I need/want it)

AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro - Nano-Reef user - $80 shipped 

Cobalt 75w Neo-Therm (it get's cold in my house during winter) - Reef2Reef User - $35 shipped

Homemade Media Basket - Made with leftover eggcrate and some super glue 🙂

• 4oz bag of filter floss - Petco - $4 shipped
  • Chemi-Pure Blue 5 pack - Amazon - $12.50 shipped
  • Fluval Biomax Ceramic Rings - Amazon - $7 add-on

CaribSea Hawaiian Black Sand 20lb bag (only using half the bag and going to attempt to painstakingly sift out the white fleks) - Petco Online - $23 shipped

Hunk of purple "liferock" (manmade) - Preuss Pets in Lansing, MI - $32 local pickup

IKEA Sektion Cabinet - Ikea - $38 local pickup

American DJ 4 Channel Switch Center - Guitar Center - $32 shipped

Total So Far = $512.50

* Potential Updgrades Include

• Sicce 0.5 or 1.0 return pump - $45-$55 new
  • Nano Powerhead (not springing for an MP10). I will probably look at a hydor or something cheap - $25 -35

LIVESTOCK

Black designer clowns (still deciding between black snowflake, phantoms or darwings). Wish I could justify the cost of a pair of storms but I can't.

Blood shrimp

Small CUC (couple nassarius, maybe a turbo and a couple hermits)

Bubble tip nem (maybe the rainbow out of my 30g since he's been stinging the monti growing nearby)

An sps or two to add a little pop of color and break up lines of rock

Possibly a couple more fun inverts....lettuce nudi, porcelain or pom pom crab, sexy shrimp, who knows....

20190310_220908.jpg

• Like 1
Reidallaboutit

Before anyone chastises me, I know it's way too early to be stocking this tank. However, my main display had this hunk of green pocillapora that needed to go. I figured I'd make an experiment out of it. It's been in for a few days now and looks as good as ever. We'll see what happens.

Current Tank Parameters:

78.5 degrees

Alk = 8.2

Ca = 420

Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite = 0

Phosphate = Didn't test

pH = I don't normally test for unless things are looking off (I used to chase it and that always led to worse results than leaving it alone and focusing on Alk, Ca, Nutrients)

To seed the tank I've been dosing Brightwell's MicroBacter7 at 40 drops daily. Will continue at this daily for 2 weeks (per bottle's instructions)

I'm also going to be spot feeding the coral a few drops of Oyster Feast mixed with a few drops tank water every other day. I figure if nothing else the oyster feast may help fuel the bacteria that is establishing.

Media basket is currently stocked with filter floss and ceramic disks. I'm holding off on adding the chemi-pure packets for the moment.

For maintenance I plan to start at 10% weekly water changes. I may increase to 20% weekly or bi-weekly as tank gets stocked. Will let the numbers guide me.

20190313_213057.jpg

• Like 1
Reidallaboutit
2 hours ago, mattbaar said:

Like the setup a lot! I've been debating adding a Nuvo 10 to the bedroom. That stand fits perfectly with it! 

Thank you. I think it would make a perfect bedroom tank.

Here's a link to the cabinet used for the stand if anyone is interested. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99034440/ Can't beat the price at under $40

It does need a little added support laterally so I threw a couple of cross braces along the back. One of them is flush with the top of the cabinet because it's about an inch too shallow to match the tanks footprint. I don't imagine hanging that extra inch of tank off the back would be all that detrimental to the tanks integrity but better safe than sorry (especially if you're already going to be adding support).

Right now the inside is a little messy but I'm going to rig up a panel to put inside and mount temp display, spectral controller and one of these (https://www.guitarcenter.com/American-DJ/PC-4-4-Channel-Switch-Center-1273887986420.gc) Should look nice and clean and make it easy to flip pump/ato off when doing water changes or feeding.

I'll post more pics once that's all together.

20190319_122117.jpg

Reidallaboutit

On the topic of Ikea wall cabinets doubling as stands...here are a couple pics of my brothers tank hes putting together. It's going to be an Amano inspired planted aquarium (boooo 😆)...

He used two 15x15x30 Ikea Sektion wall cabinets and screwed them together. As an added touch he put in some cabinet lights that turn on when the doors open. A pretty cool idea that I may have to steal.

IMG952640.jpg

IMG952639.jpg

• Like 1
Reidallaboutit

Well I screwed up (nothing too detrimental) but a good lesson for why you should be careful when using new equipment.

Last night after adjusting some settings on the spectral controller I forgot to hit save (which effectively left the light on the last setting I was adjusting). Sooooo the light stayed on all night long. No harm, no foul this time. Will remember that lesson though.

• Like 1
Reidallaboutit

Made a little insert for the cabinet and mounted the DJ power switch up top so I can easily turn pump and ato on/off. Also relocated the spectral controller from the wall to inside the cabinet.

Looks nice and clean but I'm bummed I missed the ato wires. Not a big deal but would have been nice if I'd tucked them up behind the insert too so you dont see them through the resevoir. 

20190324_215434.jpg

20190324_181135.jpg

• Like 1

Looks pretty nice! very clean build.

On 3/20/2019 at 10:35 AM, Reidallaboutit said:

On the topic of Ikea wall cabinets doubling as stands...here are a couple pics of my brothers tank hes putting together. It's going to be an Amano inspired planted aquarium (boooo 😆)...

He used two 15x15x30 Ikea Sektion wall cabinets and screwed them together. As an added touch he put in some cabinet lights that turn on when the doors open. A pretty cool idea that I may have to steal.

Was this a custom tank?

• Thanks 1
Reidallaboutit
21 hours ago, asting said:

Was this a custom tank?

No, it's an IM Nuvo 10. You could call the stand "custom" I suppose...upper cabinet from IKEA that's been slightly modified.

Reidallaboutit
7 hours ago, Firefish15 said:

I need lessons on cable organization. :lol:

Don't worry it's still a rat's nest behind the board. It's sort of like shoving clothes under the bed. The problem doesn't exist if you cant see it, right?

• Haha 1