Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Randall's or Tiger Pistol Shrimp

Mr.Smith

Reddit is once again useless (I'm being downvoted for asking a question) so I'm pasting my question here. I should really start doing that more often lol

I was at my LFS today and asked them about pistol shrimp/goby pairs since I saw one (I believe it was a high-fin goby and a tiger pistol) there. They told me that tiger pistols stay small and paired the easiest with a goby whereas the candy cane/randall's pistol was not as easy to pair and stays even smaller. I wanted to ask you guys about the accuracy of that since I've been doing a lot of reading about which goby and shrimp would go best in my IM nuvo 10 that's arriving soon.

Note: I would also like to keep sexy shrimp and hermits in the tank and I've read that the randall's is much more peaceful than the tiger

I haven't kept either, so I'm going strictly off BlueZoo and Live Aquaria.

https://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=2&pid=1223&cid=84

https://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=2&pid=1221&cid=84

Sounds like they had the sizes right.  I'm not positive on how easy they are to pair.

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+2971+704&pcatid=704

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+525+1148&pcatid=1148

IDK, if you'll be able to keep sexy shrimp in the same tank.  I'm hoping someone with experience will chime in.  I just didn't want your question to be left unanswered.

@seabass I doubt it will stay unanswered for long. You guys are way more helpful than reddit and I posted really late so that could be a factor. I appreciate the links you posted 🙂

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Mr.Smith said:

@seabass I doubt it will stay unanswered for long. You guys are way more helpful than reddit and I posted really late so that could be a factor. I appreciate the links you posted 🙂

Lol, Reddit is just WAAAAAY more honest and you probably got down voted due to the screenshot below. This community, NR is (has become) more accepting with sorta repetitive inquiries and such.

None the less glad we have people like @seabass to provide info.

I used to have a Tiger and Watchman, since they live in their cave and the shrimp is blind I do not see your sexy shrimp under threat. Do you have a rock flower nem by chance? If you do, your Sexy Shrimp won't really wonder too far and also from my experience Sexy's don't hang on the sand bed ever which the goby/shrimp pair would.

Also what store did you go to? Local Portland guy... 

Screenshot (2).png

@OverCookedRock I have yet to set up my tank so I guess I'll be looking into getting a rock flower nem unless it would be too much for a 10 gallon. I made my own post mostly because google wasn't answering my question of which is more difficult to get to pair. I've read that tigers get big and are much more aggressive than randall's but the guys down at Cuttlefish and Coral disputed me on that.  

Never had an issue pairing candy cane pistols. Just get whichever you like better. The captive bred gobies took longer for my friend but eventually they paired up with no intervention. 

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Mr.Smith said:

@OverCookedRock I have yet to set up my tank so I guess I'll be looking into getting a rock flower nem unless it would be too much for a 10 gallon. I made my own post mostly because google wasn't answering my question of which is more difficult to get to pair. I've read that tigers get big and are much more aggressive than randall's but the guys down at Cuttlefish and Coral disputed me on that.  

Oh dude trust them. They have the best staff and selection. Easily the best Reef store in the area and I have gone to ALL of them Next up is Paradise Coral out in Hillsboro and Tom at Upscales is great too. 

You can totally put a rockflower nem in your 10g. If you do the Sexy Shrimp hang in it! 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Mr.Smith said:

@OverCookedRock Awesome! I appreciate a more experienced local reefer being able to tell me what's what haha

Now I gotta start researching those nems...

They are spendy pieces but easy and worth it. They usually stay where you put them (USUALLY) and are relativity easy to care for. I know you are interested in the shrimp goby pair but you find it a pain in a 10g. Sometimes the shrimps will make a MESS building caves and tunnels but at the same time a smaller tank lets you view the relationship better. 

7 hours ago, OverCookedRock said:

Sometimes the shrimps will make a MESS building caves and tunnels but at the same time a smaller tank lets you view the relationship better. 

I think it's such a cool relationship so that's a price I'm willing to pay haha

• Like 1