Cultivated Reef

Marine Bettas?

sadley77

Does anyone see these around anymore?  My local fish store never seems to carry them.  I saw that they are captive bred by ORA but they are never on the stock list that is sent to the store.

I haven't been seeing those lately. They are very hardy fish, but nocturnal by nature so you are likely only going to see him just before the lights go out.

• Like 1

I've kept them - cool fish....one of the best looking 'shock and awe' fish you can keep in a reef tank to show off.

They can be shy at first and possibly finicky, but being groupers they are also smart and love to eat when acclimated. Also resistant to ick and other diseases.

I've been able to train mine to eat out of my hand, not be shy and take freeze dried food. Feed them smaller, more frequent meals and they quickly associate people with food and will run out to greet you.

They are slow moving and non aggressive, and won't do well with territorial fish. Mine were happiest with larger clowns, solitary angels, etc. in heavily 'scaped tanks with lots of caves to hide in.

I've heard they are becoming rather sparse in their native environment, which is a good thing given they are now captive bread.

• Like 1

They will only bother fish that can fit in their mouth. Mine was 6-7" and ignored a watchman goby. Mine never bothered peppermint shrimp either. I'm guessing if they were starving they might stalk smaller prey. They are very docile, slow moving, and captive raised ones would prefer to be fed than waste energy pursuing prey.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, blasterman said:

They will only bother fish that can fit in their mouth. Mine was 6-7" and ignored a watchman goby. Mine never bothered peppermint shrimp either. I'm guessing if they were starving they might stalk smaller prey. They are very docile, slow moving, and captive raised ones would prefer to be fed than waste energy pursuing prey.

Cool thank you for the information.  Thinking about stocking one in my 40 breeder build and this was super helpful!!

NuisanceAlgaeCultivator

Always thought those were pretty cool, if I were to reset my tank they’d definitely be a candidate.

Please post pictures if you go that route!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, NuisanceAlgaeCultivator said:

Always thought those were pretty cool, if I were to reset my tank they’d definitely be a candidate.

Please post pictures if you go that route!

Will do!!

3 minutes ago, slowngreen said:

My lfs has maybe 100? I have 3. Very social little guys. 

Thats nuts!! are they captive bred?

• 2 weeks later...