Pod Your Reef

IM Nuvo Micro 30

Kangster911

Kangster911

It is ruby red. I was expecting green since it was called an 'Emerald Crab' but this is what I got from Reef Cleaner and it has been eating a lot of algae since day one. It even took out a big chunk of coraline algae from a small piece of live rock I got from a fish store. He/She is the current king of the tank.

21 hours ago, Kangster911 said:

II don't want to buy too many things in a short time and upset my wife. I saw a reefer once that had to quit the hobby because his wife thought he was spending too much time on his fish tank lol.

LOL.  I'm very self-conscious about this too.  Even my 3 year old remarked the other day how I'm getting "a lot of stuff for the fish tank" to which my wife laughed (but really it was a laugh of disapproval).  

Nice progress so far.  

• Like 2

Lol yea it's a ruby mithrax instead of an emerald mithrax. U see the green ones more commonly. Other than the color there basicly the same. Keep an eye on it when it starts to get big they can sometimes develop a taste for some corals but most seem to be ok.

Kangster911
48 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

LOL.  I'm very self-conscious about this too.  Even my 3 year old remarked the other day how I'm getting "a lot of stuff for the fish tank" to which my wife laughed (but really it was a laugh of disapproval).  

Nice progress so far.  

Thank you! My wife and my three year old like the tank so far and I want them to stay that way😄

45 minutes ago, LazyFish said:

Lol yea it's a ruby mithrax instead of an emerald mithrax. U see the green ones more commonly. Other than the color there basicly the same. Keep an eye on it when it starts to get big they can sometimes develop a taste for some corals but most seem to be ok.

I like red better than green and yes I researched a lot before deciding to get one, but even if he starts to eat corals, they are only $5 a piece and I probably won't get expensive corals while I have him in the tank. He is somewhat fun to watch, but my baby gets scared of him I have to hold and comfort her when she is observing the crab

• Like 2
Kangster911

Neotherm heater just arrived. Amazon was selling used reboxed item at a discounted price that I could not pass. The thermometer on the heater was reading 78 - 80 so I checked the thermometer again and I did not need to panick. It had already been 78. At least now I don't need to worry about the temperature dropping too low at nights.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Kangster911

LFS was having a 7 year anniversary event/sale that I had been waiting for. I got two Clownfish and a Fire Fish like I had planned. The Fire Fish was a little shy initially, but on the second day (today), they were all out taking food when I fed them pellet and frozen food. I think these will be a success!

The Emerald Crab and the shrimp are also doing well. 

20190520_194914.jpg

20190520_194903.jpg

20190520_194853.jpg

20190520_194837.jpg

• Like 1
Kangster911
1 minute ago, Kangster911 said:

LFS was having a 7 year anniversary event/sale that I had been waiting for. I got two Clownfish and a Fire Fish like I had planned. The Fire Fish was a little shy initially, but on the second day (today), they were all out taking food when I fed them pellet and frozen food. I think these will be a success!

The Emerald Crab and the shrimp are also doing well. 

20190520_194914.jpg

20190520_194903.jpg

20190520_194853.jpg

20190520_194837.jpg

Awe she's scared of the crab I guess to her it looks like a big red spider. I love fire fish. If I didnt have my pseudochromis that I'm now totaly calling Mr.Dr.Pepper fish due to an accident. I'would totaly have one I adore the way they flick. Do you have plans for any other livestock?

Kangster911
24 minutes ago, LazyFish said:

Awe she's scared of the crab I guess to her it looks like a big red spider. I love fire fish. If I didnt have my pseudochromis that I'm now totaly calling Mr.Dr.Pepper fish due to an accident. I'would totaly have one I adore the way they flick. Do you have plans for any other livestock?

I just love how they swim. They look so relaxed and are really colorful. The Fire Fish spent hours hiding when I put it yesterday so I was a little worried, but today it was out and was eating with Clownfish. I wanted to have Yellow Watchmen Goby and a Pistol Shrimp but I want to do more research before getting the pair.

Why do you call your pseudochromis Mr. Dr. Pepper? A funny story you want to share?

He decided to take a nose dive Into my drink one day and go for a swim. Litteraly...... he lived after a bit of flushing to clear it out his gills he was fine. Apparently the carbonation causes vasoconstriction In fish so hes lucky he didnt die. I read some fishermen use it when a fish is gill hooked and the plan to release it to stop the bleeding in the area of the injury. Hes a butt but after that I couldn't get rid if him. A yellow watchman should be ok I had one with a fire fish way back.

Kangster911

That is one tough fish! It also means that you are/have been taking good care of him the fish was in a good condition to survive that.

I agree a Yellow Watchman Goby would be ok with other fish. I am more concerned about the shrimp. I do not want the shrimp killing snails and crabs that I already have, but I want the pair because of their symbiotic relationship. It is either both the fish and the shrimp or none at all

I had a pair of pistols that came as hitch hikers once. I dont recall them bothering the snails or crabs unless they invaded there burrow. After the lights would go out sometimes they would  start to snap. It was kind of anoying because the tank was in my room.

Kangster911

One of the clownfish was swimming funny in the morning buy I was running late and had to go to work. I will do 5 gallon water change as soon as I get home. Hope makes it until then...

Kangster911

It looked like he had been dead for some time when I got home. Maybe three fish at the same time was too much bioload...I was a little hesitant but the event/sale blinded me. My personal greed costed that fish his life.. I really hate this feeling of what-if-I-did-this lingering. The tank is still very young and it probably is a good idea to do more frequent than regular water changes for now.

• Sad 1
Kangster911

I am somewhat confused about the third clownfish dying. I still have a Peppermint Shrimp, Ruby Emerald Crab, and Porcelain Crab that are healthy and out. In freshwater tanks, shrimps are usually the first to go if something goes wrong as they are the most sensitive.

I found some dried Capsosiphon fulvescens. This is an ingredient used to make soup (Korean food). I tried giving some to the fish and everybody went wild for it, especially the firefish. Great!

Sorry to hear about your loss. The absolute worst feeling in this hobby is when you lose something and you haven't got the slightest clue why. You want to fix it so bad but you just don't know what to do! I feel for you. 😢

• Thanks 1
Kangster911

Thanks @billygoat. Well at least the rest of the crew is doing great. 

My hammer coral is doing great but last of the zoa just melted away. I will never know why...

Im sorry to hear that. Could it be agression from the other clown? Like did it injure the other one? I've been thinking about checking those little tiny shrimp packed in jars in the fridge at the local Asian market to see what they are packed in to see if viable fish snacks lol. I know that the regular unflavored the nori is.

Kangster911

I was home around noon and was able to take a few shots of my favorites. I didn't have time to clean the glass before taking the pictures but was able to catch everybody before they went back to their hiding spots.

20190529_125456.jpg

20190529_125506.jpg

20190529_125523.jpg

• Like 2
Kangster911

Found this slug/worm while cleaning the refugium in the back. It is moving slowly and has a fan-like thing to capture food. I think it has been growing in the back capturing whatever nutrient was available. It did not look like it could hurt anyone and sure would add to the biodiversity so I threw it back to the main tank.

Out of all the macro algaes I got from Reef Cleaners, only Chaeto and Ulva made it. All the others melted away. I initially wanted Chaeto and Ulva only anyways. I was just testing what would survive and turns out only those two did.

20190529_215756.jpg

Kangster911

It was not the prettiest creature but it looked harmless so I was like why not? and dumped it back to the tank. Maybe it can help stir up the sand because I need some help in that area.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Kangster911 said:

It was not the prettiest creature but it looked harmless so I was like why not? and dumped it back to the tank. Maybe it can help stir up the sand because I need some help in that area.

I think that's the right call. Increased biodiversity makes a system more stable, so I always try to include as many of those weird hitchhikers as I can - provided of course I can be reasonably sure that they aren't evil or destructive. Maybe it will show up some months down the road, and you can be like "oh, there's that... thing!" 😄