Pod Your Reef

Fluval 13.5 on a Husky Cart

pricewayne

1 minute ago, pricewayne said:

I love it. It's a struggle to see the Fluval stock light on my pico tank, now that I know what a difference it makes hahaha. I'm trying not to break the bank on that setup but suspect I'll have an upgraded light of some kind before the competition is out.

pink nanobox part deux??  

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

pink nanobox part deux??  

Ha! May just look into buying used for the pico. It's such an investment -- and they're totally worth every dollar, but I'm not sure how long-term I'll end up keeping the Pico.. maybe if it's still going strong by end of competition... maybe.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

Ha! May just look into buying used for the pico. It's such an investment -- and they're totally worth every dollar, but I'm not sure how long-term I'll end up keeping the Pico.. maybe if it's still going strong by end of competition... maybe.

Makes sense.  My pico is the only SW tank I have, so I splurged.  LOL.

• Like 1
pricewayne

Tank survived my first 4 day trip away without any issues//losses which was a huge relief. Finally got around to updating my journal's first post with the latest specs and livestock.

Overall, everything seems to be doing really well. A lot of growth on all my LPS frags and some SPS -- the birdsnest is taking off nicely (need to start getting pics to track and compare growth). I have a new rule... no more green corals!! I'd like some better color variation and contrast to start on my corals... it's very very green, which is beautiful, but getting to be overkill.

I purchased ESV 2 part and a BRS 2 part dosing pump. Ran out of timer outlet sockets, but expecting a new one to deliver tomorrow so I can get that automated.

Unfortunately, I'm already feeling bogged down by the size and stock limitations for the Fluval *sigh*. From the start, I knew I wanted to either upgrade or add a larger setup after getting my feet wet with the Fluval. I'm working on a build list and savings plan for a really awesome setup... I think I want to go for a Red Sea 170. TBD -- will prob be a few months before I'm able to make that happen.

FTS:

IMG_4645.thumb.jpg.eea25c034827e54bf37bee95d81515b2.jpg

345715077_frontview.thumb.jpg.ae390012050c6c2bb43544cb59f371a8.jpg

1111052677_peninview.thumb.jpg.00539299ffbc35b52ec15fc421d21334.jpg

1965932255_topdown.thumb.jpg.64b4b32fab8d1c9e2f85d591e3bc449f.jpg

Livestock//corals additions//changes:

Feel free to click back to my first post for the 'master' livestock list now that I've updated

inverts // clean-up-crew:
•    1 pencil urchin, named Rod returned to LFS 05/01 -- kept going for my leather corals

•    1 emerald crab returned to LFS 04/25 -- also kept going for my leather corals & grew much too large after first molt

•    1 pom pom crab -- from live aquaria divers den

•    I named my staghorn crab -- his name is Lance

•    2 tongan nassarius snails

•    1 fighting conch -- super fun to watch

SPS:

•    Mystique montipora cap -- from Golden State Corals and is prob my most favorite coral I've added so far

•    Got all 3 of my monti caps off their plugs and glued to the top left of my back rock -- it's my monti cap corner. Really excited to see how they'll grow out! I'm hoping the pink monti cap will grow beneath the mystique monti to contrast the dark/subtle pink pops in the mystique monti.

25922760_monticapcorner.thumb.JPG.4e1fd0946620a2d1d8f4307321db5f12.JPG

LPS:

•    Alveopora -- from Golden State Corals and is super cute. I've read alve's like to grow next to one another so am considering a small little alveopora garden in the front corner of my tank

•    Gold/green hammer -- from LAX Aquarium and still unsure on permanent placement but am loving its puffy cuteness

1807268146_hammerstagalvepic.thumb.jpg.442d9b819c6dba36bc2d12e560544163.jpg

• Like 2
pricewayne

Power went out for about 2 hours today... gave me a scare but we’re back in action.

Looks like I’ll be shopping for a couple battery air bubblers 🤔

• Like 2
pricewayne
1 minute ago, Tigahboy said:

I like the green motif you have going on there.

Thanks! I'm diggin' it, but think I'm going to start looking for some pinks and blues to hopefully add some pops of color lol.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

Thanks! I'm diggin' it, but think I'm going to start looking for some pinks and blues to hopefully add some pops of color lol.

I like greens of course (it's one of the three colors represented in my tank, lol), but I hear pink is a pretty nice color as well. 😉 Can't wait to see what you get!

I also had my first brief power outage last week and I have to say I was downright terrified! Good call on the battery bubblers.

• Like 1
pricewayne
2 hours ago, billygoat said:

I like greens of course (it's one of the three colors represented in my tank, lol), but I hear pink is a pretty nice color as well. 😉 Can't wait to see what you get!

I also had my first brief power outage last week and I have to say I was downright terrified! Good call on the battery bubblers.

Yep, I had a moment of pure terror. I’ve had random moments since starting the tank up of, “I need to get supplies for a power outage” but I’ve been throwin’ All my money into just the setup and livestock 😬

Your tank is looking amazing, mines is looking like a bone yard.  I keep cutting corals and fragging them for my pico. 😂 

• Haha 1
pricewayne
2 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Your tank is looking amazing, mines is looking like a bone yard.  I keep cutting corals and fragging them for my pico. 😂 

I love both your tanks!! I did just crack up laughing.

About to sit down and finally get an update in on my pico... I may have impulse bought a risky inhabitant earlier this week 😬

• Like 1
Just now, pricewayne said:

I love both your tanks!! I did just crack up laughing.

About to sit down and finally get an update in on my pico... I may have impulse bought a risky inhabitant earlier this week 😬

omgomgomg risky 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, pricewayne said:

Tank survived my first 4 day trip away without any issues//losses which was a huge relief. Finally got around to updating my journal's first post with the latest specs and livestock.

Overall, everything seems to be doing really well. A lot of growth on all my LPS frags and some SPS -- the birdsnest is taking off nicely (need to start getting pics to track and compare growth). I have a new rule... no more green corals!! I'd like some better color variation and contrast to start on my corals... it's very very green, which is beautiful, but getting to be overkill.

I purchased ESV 2 part and a BRS 2 part dosing pump. Ran out of timer outlet sockets, but expecting a new one to deliver tomorrow so I can get that automated.

Unfortunately, I'm already feeling bogged down by the size and stock limitations for the Fluval *sigh*. From the start, I knew I wanted to either upgrade or add a larger setup after getting my feet wet with the Fluval. I'm working on a build list and savings plan for a really awesome setup... I think I want to go for a Red Sea 170. TBD -- will prob be a few months before I'm able to make that happen.

FTS:

IMG_4645.thumb.jpg.eea25c034827e54bf37bee95d81515b2.jpg

345715077_frontview.thumb.jpg.ae390012050c6c2bb43544cb59f371a8.jpg

1111052677_peninview.thumb.jpg.00539299ffbc35b52ec15fc421d21334.jpg

1965932255_topdown.thumb.jpg.64b4b32fab8d1c9e2f85d591e3bc449f.jpg

Livestock//corals additions//changes:

Feel free to click back to my first post for the 'master' livestock list now that I've updated

inverts // clean-up-crew:
•    1 pencil urchin, named Rod returned to LFS 05/01 -- kept going for my leather corals

•    1 emerald crab returned to LFS 04/25 -- also kept going for my leather corals & grew much too large after first molt

•    1 pom pom crab -- from live aquaria divers den

•    I named my staghorn crab -- his name is Lance

•    2 tongan nassarius snails

•    1 fighting conch -- super fun to watch

SPS:

•    Mystique montipora cap -- from Golden State Corals and is prob my most favorite coral I've added so far

•    Got all 3 of my monti caps off their plugs and glued to the top left of my back rock -- it's my monti cap corner. Really excited to see how they'll grow out! I'm hoping the pink monti cap will grow beneath the mystique monti to contrast the dark/subtle pink pops in the mystique monti.

25922760_monticapcorner.thumb.JPG.4e1fd0946620a2d1d8f4307321db5f12.JPG

LPS:

•    Alveopora -- from Golden State Corals and is super cute. I've read alve's like to grow next to one another so am considering a small little alveopora garden in the front corner of my tank

•    Gold/green hammer -- from LAX Aquarium and still unsure on permanent placement but am loving its puffy cuteness

1807268146_hammerstagalvepic.thumb.jpg.442d9b819c6dba36bc2d12e560544163.jpg

Looking good, mine was looking mainly green also lol but I found a new love in acans and those have some nice different colors

• Thanks 1
pricewayne
5 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Looking good, mine was looking mainly green also lol but I found a new love in acans and those have some nice different colors

I've thought about acans!! Definitely on my list. Trying to be patient is soooo hard hahaha. I'm scared I'll fully stock to capacity and then discover something else I should've waited for.

1 hour ago, pricewayne said:

I've thought about acans!! Definitely on my list. Trying to be patient is soooo hard hahaha. I'm scared I'll fully stock to capacity and then discover something else I should've waited for.

Impatience leads to the dark side. Abstain. Resist the temptation. Ask your self, What Would Cap Do.

EDIT: this is just a stream of thought, not advice for you pricew. Your tank is established, and it is too late anyways, lol. It is what I have been thinking about the last few days.

Every week that you keep your maintenance up, your parameters stable, give yourself credit for a frag. Spend the credit every three weeks. Put a price on larger pieces, small, medium, large. Figure out some scale based on tank plans and capacity, perhaps earning fractions of a frag, or 1.5 a week. Running a mixed tank, don't add any SPS till you reach x number of frags since your last purchase.  (shows you can keep params stable for them). 

I am trying to do this, I want to add a taller, branching SPS for the middle of my tank, I do not plan on adding that for a couple of months, mid July after I get back from a 6 day trip. Going to spend my credits in a couple of weeks, I have -1 frag (lol) at the moment. Then see how I can do at keeping the tank stable, will give me time to figure out the consumption rate of my tank, what dosing I need, and the exact qty of top off water I need. Then I can have labeled containers so I can remote control the dog/house sitter for my trip. 

If you have a guess about what capacity is for these tanks, let me know. I see these beautiful tanks, with wall to wall coral, and wonder how many corals are in there, how long did it take to build that up?

• Thanks 1

How much room does your torch require? My plans for my EVO are very similar to yours. I want monti caps in the back up high, and I am looking for something flowy. A torch just might fit the bill.

pricewayne
18 minutes ago, Garf said:

Impatience leads to the dark side. Abstain. Resist the temptation. Ask your self, What Would Cap Do.

EDIT: this is just a stream of thought, not advice for you pricew. Your tank is established, and it is too late anyways, lol. It is what I have been thinking about the last few days.

Every week that you keep your maintenance up, your parameters stable, give yourself credit for a frag. Spend the credit every three weeks. Put a price on larger pieces, small, medium, large. Figure out some scale based on tank plans and capacity, perhaps earning fractions of a frag, or 1.5 a week. Running a mixed tank, don't add any SPS till you reach x number of frags since your last purchase.  (shows you can keep params stable for them). 

I am trying to do this, I want to add a taller, branching SPS for the middle of my tank, I do not plan on adding that for a couple of months, mid July after I get back from a 6 day trip. Going to spend my credits in a couple of weeks, I have -1 frag (lol) at the moment. Then see how I can do at keeping the tank stable, will give me time to figure out the consumption rate of my tank, what dosing I need, and the exact qty of top off water I need. Then I can have labeled containers so I can remote control the dog/house sitter for my trip. 

If you have a guess about what capacity is for these tanks, let me know. I see these beautiful tanks, with wall to wall coral, and wonder how many corals are in there, how long did it take to build that up?

Thank you!! Love the credit idea — seriously may take you up on that. And aghhhhh, someone called my tank established!! Lol! I suppose it is, but I’m a total anxiety attack waiting to happen 🤪 psyche myself out all the time. And certainly tons more for me to learn.

Am also hoping to get a rad branching SPS right at the top of the back larger rock piece! Holding off on that one until I find something really special (or credit myself enough to get something super fancy).

Not sure what capacity will be 🤔 but I think I’d like to leave space for everything to more naturally grow out, rather than cram stuff in and keep it all trimmed back. I’ve been saying since day 1 I’ve been hoping to do some sort of coral scape plan and I’ve yet to really hack that out.

• Like 1
Just now, pricewayne said:

Am also hoping to get a rad branching SPS right at the top of the back larger rock piece! Holding off on that one until I find something really special (or credit myself enough to get something super fancy).

Seriatopora perhaps? That's my favorite. They come in pink too! 😁

As for capacity... I mean you can cram as many corals as you want in there, as long as you're okay with them battling each other for space and you can keep up with their needs dosing- and feeding-wise. Frankly I'd be more than overwhelmed trying to plan what needs to go where and who can grow next to whom, but I guess that's why I grow algae instead. 😅

• Haha 1
pricewayne
5 minutes ago, Garf said:

How much room does your torch require? My plans for my EVO are very similar to yours. I want monti caps in the back up high, and I am looking for something flowy. A torch just might fit the bill.

From what I've read, you'll want to keep them a few inches away from touching *any* other coral -- will really depend on the torches polyp extension (as well as their feeder tentacles over night). I still need to read more up on euphyllia pairing, but I know that they can often nestle up closely to other euphyllia. The torch has actually extended out and can touch my hammer, but I haven't noticed it do any damage yet (am monitoring). Placed the hammer a bit intentionally where it is to see if any stings come out from it -- I'd love to get another bright torch right next to the one I have in there!!

But generally, I know that torches are some of the most aggressive and worst stingers -- so definitely look out for its neighbors.

• Like 2
pricewayne
1 minute ago, billygoat said:

Seriatopora perhaps? That's my favorite. They come in pink too! 😁

As for capacity... I mean you can cram as many corals as you want in there, as long as you're okay with them battling each other for space and you can keep up with their needs dosing- and feeding-wise. Frankly I'd be more than overwhelmed trying to plan what needs to go where and who can grow next to whom, but I guess that's why I grow algae instead. 😅

True!! I suppose by "coral scape" plan -- I'm more so hoping to be sure I account for space for anything really special I'd like to stock. Then pop in whatever else fits the setup.

&& I'll definitely look into seriatopora! I really love the fuzzy polyp SPS... they're so neat.

1 minute ago, pricewayne said:

True!! I suppose by "coral scape" plan -- I'm more so hoping to be sure I account for space for anything really special I'd like to stock. Then pop in whatever else fits the setup.

There are also questions of scale and balance that must be addressed when developing a stocking plan, especially in a nano reef. That dinner-plate-sized Montipora colony or enormous leather coral might be stunning, and could indeed grow to enormous proportions in your tank, but if it throws everything else out of balance by making your other frags seem absurdly tiny it might not be the best choice, right? I'm always impressed when I see rich, balanced reef tanks that have nothing that seems too big or too small, because I know that their owners spent hours and hours planning exactly where each coral had to go in order to achieve the proper overall effect. That being said, your aquascape is awesome (still love that giant piece of coral skeleton) and affords you a lot of opportunities to include a wide variety of species, so I am really looking forward to seeing where you take it!

Gosh looking at all the stuff on this site is so humbling! That torch you got is just gorgeous.

• Thanks 1
pricewayne

I just... love👏🏻this👏🏻symmetry

Maybe I’ll mirror the symmetry of my BTA+finger leather with the monti caps+branching SPS on the right side 🤔

05366096-206C-4E4B-B831-829926831E8D.thumb.jpeg.3bf8afb236e1757c3e56c3c61e0a6178.jpeg

pricewayne
4 minutes ago, billygoat said:

There are also questions of scale and balance that must be addressed when developing a stocking plan, especially in a nano reef. That dinner-plate-sized Montipora colony or enormous leather coral might be stunning, and could indeed grow to enormous proportions in your tank, but if it throws everything else out of balance by making your other frags seem absurdly tiny it might not be the best choice, right? I'm always impressed when I see rich, balanced reef tanks that have nothing that seems too big or too small, because I know that their owners spent hours and hours planning exactly where each coral had to go in order to achieve the proper overall effect. That being said, your aquascape is awesome (still love that giant piece of coral skeleton) and affords you a lot of opportunities to include a wide variety of species, so I am really looking forward to seeing where you take it!

Gosh looking at all the stuff on this site is so humbling! That torch you got is just gorgeous.

Ya too kind!! I've been wanting to reach out and ask about some of those macros you have. Eventually think I want to add something tall... maybe gorgonian (if memory serves me right), or a sea fan (are these even macro algae? Or am I way off the mark?). Annnnd, I'm a bit curious to try my toe in some NPS eventually as well 😬