SaltCritters.com

Lighting for a sub-one gallon pico?

DPRoberts

So I'm thinking of starting a very tiny pico aquarium for my desk at work. I'd like to go roughly a gallon or less, as my desk doesn't have a lot of open space & I want something that is very unobtrusive. I'm planning on keeping sexy shrimp and easy corals (I have a rock that's currently covered with mushrooms that would be perfect in a tank that size. 

Again, trying to keep it as compact as possible - I'd love to have an AIO, but nobody makes one that small. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. 

This guy is extra salty

You can diy the backpanel/baffles of the AIO it’s fairly simple find a tank you like and get some glass cut

I have been thinking about the minicomplete - it's what got me thinking about a desktop tank at work. I just haven't heard any specific reports about how well the light works, or if there's anything out there that's comparable. I might even DIY an aquarium as the first poster said & buy the minicomplete light.

I had the 12W abi tuna blue light which worked great on my half gallon jar with zoas, an acan, ric, and a hammer. Switched to an Asta 20 Marine light off Amazon that's been working well. Less light spill since it's right above the lid and I can turn down the blues for photos

Derek Claxton
On 3/6/2019 at 11:43 AM, Clown79 said:

A good light for a pico is the abi tuna blue par38. Corals pop under it and grow really well. 

12w is enough for that size

I have the Tuna Blue 23w over a 10 gallon and it's almost too much. So, I second the 12w over anything less than a square foot of tank space.

• Like 1
NuisanceAlgaeCultivator

Check out the thread on minicomplete tanks, they’ve got there own set of challenges.

If you can swing a little more space the fluval spec II and abi blue tuna mentioned would be a nice start, they’d also cost about the same as a minicomplete.

2 hours ago, Derek Claxton said:

I have the Tuna Blue 23w over a 10 gallon and it's almost too much. So, I second the 12w over anything less than a square foot of tank space.

Oh ya, the par38 are strong!