SaltCritters.com

RO VS RODI

Deejax

I am in the process of getting back into the hobby and starting my first reef tank in 5 or 6 years. I thought I had access to RO/DI water but recently found out that it is just RO. I have already blown past my budget and would rather not buy an entire RO/DI unit but I suppose I will if it is necessary. Is using just RO and not RO/DI pretty much guaranteed failure? 

IMO no it's not a guaranteed failure. I used 10 TDS RO for a while when I started. Sure it's not ideal but there were lots of other things going on so a few PPM in the RO jug probably wasn't so bad.

Might not be a bad idea to check for phosphates just for curiosity.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Deejax said:

I am in the process of getting back into the hobby and starting my first reef tank in 5 or 6 years. I thought I had access to RO/DI water but recently found out that it is just RO. I have already blown past my budget and would rather not buy an entire RO/DI unit but I suppose I will if it is necessary. Is using just RO and not RO/DI pretty much guaranteed failure? 

You can buy and add on just the DI canister to your existing RO system (Bulk Reef Supply sells the standalone DI canisters).  I'm planning to do the same. I haven't done it myself yet tho, but should be straightforward.

• Like 2

I work at a production fish farm so they have an ro system there that they have no problem with me taking water from. The problem is I can't make any modifications to that system. I had looked up the single di canisters but I have no idea how I'd get the pressure to send it through the canister. I guess a small pump should work? 

Yeah, sorry, not sure what kind of RO set-up a production fish farm would use (I just assumed we were talking standard under the sink types).  But I'm assuming you would still be able to just add a T connector in the line between the RO filter and the faucet/spigot  (with a shut off valve on the line that leads to the DI canister, and a shut off valve on the line after the DI canister)  and piggy back off the pressure from the RO.  But that would require modifying the RO system and I'm kinda just guessing here based on my knowledge of how a standard under the sink RO system works.  Maybe the kind folks at Bulk Reef Supply could help?  They are really helpful and seem active on FB and respond quickly via email.

• Like 1

Standard DI canisters process water at a slow trickle (like at around 90 GPD).  I'm not sure how well it would work to add a DI stage to a commercial RO water source.  Get a handheld TDS meter and check out their RO water; if it's around 5, I think it would be alright.  As you said, testing for phosphate and nitrate wouldn't hurt either.  Obviously, this RO water would be much cheaper than distilled water at over $0.80 a gallon.

Obviously, your own RO/DI system at home would make the "best" water.  However, you'll have to balance budget, quality, space, and convenience.

• Like 2