Top Shelf Aquatics

CPR HOB Fuge

clown and friends

clown and friends

Bought it used and it wont work with my biocube 16 with the current piping. Either the pipe for the pump or the tray the water dumps down sit unevenly on top of the hinges that were for the biocube hood. This makes the bracket meant to hold the fuge on useless...anyone changed the pipe to a flexible hose cause that would fix my issues? The other option is to build a stand that could hold the whole thing up has anyone done this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

IMG_7233.jpg

Been gathering info for a similar project. Looks like a little fabrication work is needed. If you raise the fuge up a few inches looks like you could get some angle fittings on that intake line to move it over a few inches ?

clown and friends
9 minutes ago, Eric_n_ga said:

Been gathering info for a similar project. Looks like a little fabrication work is needed. If you raise the fuge up a few inches looks like you could get some angle fittings on that intake line to move it over a few inches ?

I'm honestly wondering if i could just build a tray or even just get a block for it to rest upon and be like an inch higher than the tank so there wouldn't even be a need for it to "hang" on the tank?

clown and friends
46 minutes ago, Eric_n_ga said:

Got room to build a small stand for it behind the tank ?

Yeah I do, its on a desk and is set back a few inches so I can move it forward and have 6 or so inches of desk to build one on. I am almost tempted to get like 3 packs of paper and just put it under the bottom of it.

• Like 1
clown and friends
3 hours ago, Eric_n_ga said:

Don't do that 🤣 . Cut some PVC and make legs . You can glue them to the bottom . 

Here is what I ended up doing with some blocks cut at home depot and some fasteners. What do you think?

IMG_7240.jpg

IMG_7241.jpg

clown and friends
11 minutes ago, Eric_n_ga said:

Perfect. 

What are you using the refugium for? 

Growing pods! Hoping to upgrade the biocube soon to an IM 25 and want to get a pod eater as my addition so I want to see how propagation will go. However, I am not sure I will keep the fuge after getting it running, because the water drops so far on the tray its creating a ton of bubbles that are getting pulled in to the display by the return pump... Not sure how to keep this from happening 😞 Any more ideas?

Yes , untested but ideas nevertheless. 

The exit ramp needs to be extended to the water line of the main tank , as well as turning the flow down on the intake . I am looking at something just like this and in planning on doing the same thing. Plus it will keep the copepods from goin through the return pump and killing them. 

clown and friends
17 hours ago, Eric_n_ga said:

Yes , untested but ideas nevertheless. 

The exit ramp needs to be extended to the water line of the main tank , as well as turning the flow down on the intake . I am looking at something just like this and in planning on doing the same thing. Plus it will keep the copepods from goin through the return pump and killing them. 

Gave it a whorl and honestly the bubbles are even worse that way, still drops far enough to create them and now every one of them is ending up in the display...

clown and friends
2 minutes ago, Eric_n_ga said:

With the flow turned down ? Hmmmm are the bubbles from the return water or there bubbles in the fuge ? 

Its from the return water hitting the tank water, no bubbles in fuge

clown and friends
3 minutes ago, Eric_n_ga said:

With the flow turned down ? Hmmmm are the bubbles from the return water or there bubbles in the fuge ? 

I am considering trying to clip some filter floss so it can drip down that in a less violent manner before hitting the water

That seems like a lot of water to me . If you were trying to use it to filter water I can see that much flow , but for pods ? I bet a third of that will do and probably solve the splashing issue too.

Just a thought , I and most people run a 300 gph return pump on a 30 gal tank 

Let's say the fuge holds 3 gal.  , Using the same ratio you would need 30 gph to have the same flow . 

But 3 gallon at 90gph is 3 x that so that would be like a 900gph pump on a 30 gal tank.. ?  If it was packed with sand and rock and plants it would even be less volume but have restricted flow but I still think it's over kill. Again I may be way off but that's my thought.

I'm going to Target about 20-25 gph into mine . Should be picking mine up sat 😁

clown and friends

Let me know how it works! I just ended up selling mine, gonna reinvest in something else for the tank (or maybe a bigger tank)...just couldn't get it to work

Well it's online . Had to modify the inlet , the outlet , and decided to T Off my ( also new today )Rio HF6 and add a valve to control the flow . Worked out really well . I can slow the flow down to a trickle for say feeding pods or stop it for maintenance . Also I can open it wide open and get approx 180 gph flush which is how I plan to convince the pods to exit the fuge if need be. Even with the valve just 1/4 way open there's still more flow in the DT then the stock pump. Have 4 brightwell bio blocks in the bottom plan on adding some sort of macro . Undecided on sand in the Bottom or not ?