inTank Media Baskets

AC50 Refugium Mod: inclusion of mechanical/chemical filtration?

portmanteaux

portmanteaux

Hey all, so I've been following the guidelines in El Fab's pico setup thread to modify an AC50 into a refugium for my JBJ Picotope. I know everyone sets theirs up a little differently, but what I've struggled to find is exactly what do with/where to put the filtration supplies that come with the AC50, relative the chaeto chamber. 

It comes with the sponge, carbon, and chemical filtration options. My fuge setup has 2 compartments right now (but I can further subdivide it into 3 if need be). The El Fab thread mentions that you can put the chemical filtration right by the intake, but some other threads I've been reading suggest that this may rob my chaeto of some nutrients it would otherwise like to have. 

SO, do you helpful members have strong preferences of what order to set things up in the refugium? And which of the filtration do you include in total? There are basically 4 total things to consider:  sponges, carbon, chemical filtration, and chaeto chamber. I am happy to include as much or as little as is necessary -- just want to make sure I do it logically. Thanks! 

Just like everything else in life. it's a give and take. If it where me, id run filter floss (changed every 2-3 days or as it gets cruddy) along the intake pipe for mechanical, and just the chaeto . your live rock and live sand will be more then enough of a biological filter.

carbon as needed, but be warned. carbon gets exhausted in as little as a week

portmanteaux
31 minutes ago, JBM said:

Just like everything else in life. it's a give and take. If it where me, id run filter floss (changed every 2-3 days or as it gets cruddy) along the intake pipe for mechanical, and just the chaeto . your live rock and live sand will be more then enough of a biological filter.

carbon as needed, but be warned. carbon gets exhausted in as little as a week

Thank you kindly!