sand-sifting starfish

6 Line Wrasse

F. Perc Clown

a big CBS

3 Snails

Red Hermit Crab

20 lbs of LR

Lots of LS

I have a blue actinic 7100K and a Eclipse Daylight for my lighting.

For filtration, I have a Rio 400 Powerhead, a Fuval 400, and an Eclipse Filter...its an eclipse setup.

My tank has been setup for 9 months... and I would really like something else.... any ideas? Corals? Inverts? Fish? Everyone in my LFS is really against not having a protien skimmer... but I do water changes weekly with ocean water from Catelina Is.

Thanks to all of the old members that helped me setup everything about a year ago... :) and thanks for any advice you can give me.

BustytheSnowMaam

A skunk or blood-cleaner shrimp might be fun- they will come out and clean your arm when you put your hand in the tank. You could try some hardy corals, like button polyps or a toadstool leather. Maybe another peaceful fish- a goby?

Tasha

I'm not really sure, except that the blue actinic is a CORALIFE, and the other is an Eclipse... probably not too high...

Really, button corals? Would my lighting be okay? And what about shrooms.... are they hard to keep? And, BTW, has anyone here had a Sand sifting star? I just got one, and it doesn't burrow. Its moving, though.

BustytheSnowMaam

Hi-

If you could find out the wattage of your lights it would help. This is not a hard and fast rule, because there are lots of variables, but for soft and some LPS corals you want about 5 watts per gallon. If you have less, say 3-4 watts per gallon, you could easily keep some mushrooms.

This is an excellent link on brittle stars (which are usually the type sold as sand-sifting)

http://home.att.net/~ophiuroid

Tasha

Archived