Cultivated Reef

Sump conections

new-age

This is my "educated guess" 

1 + B - is your lowest drain point so it will be your full siphon drain, so you will need the gate valve to tune.

2 + A - this is your emergency drain since. It is hard to tell from the picture, but it should be the highest drain.

3 + C - this one will be your secondary drain, depending on your return pump this may or may not drain some water regularly.

Hope this helps.

1 = overflow box drain... you need a gate valve closed on that, This should always be closed, unless your doing maintaince which requires you to drain your overflow completely. 

2 = surface skimmer... sort of lost on why he put it, i guess its so you could get extra skimming, which is kinda moot if you have a proper overflow box.  

3. Durso drain.... This is your main drain.

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/aquarium-plumbing-basics/

Image result for dorso drain

4. return line.  

So 1 absolutely needs a gate valve... i am guessing it goes with B. 

2 needs nothing, its a skimming line since its high up and probably goes with A. 

3. is your main drain line, it requires no valve, you can pair it up with another A. 

4. is your return... you will need a valve on it to control water level up in the DT, and also tune down your intake so it doesn't Gurgle.  

The plumbing configuration is going to depend on if you want to have a "bean animal style" overflow or a "Herbie overflow". In my opinion, if you have the necessary drains to run a bean animal, then you are going to benefit most from this. The redundancy and overall noise will be better with this configuration. 

As for "C", I believe this was an attempt to help allow the air to escape from drain "C" before it gets to the sump and possibly creates noise. 

• Like 1

I think tgore is correct in it being a "bean animal style"

bean-animal-2.jpg

it does indeed seem like you have all the ports for it, and the last one is a return. 

• Thanks 1