Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Setting up preowned tank

Rosem89

I’m upgrading my nano and collecting a Red Sea 250 tomorrow morning, it’s a full set up with all equipment,rock and sand when I got my nano I kept the sand and rock inside can I do this again? The lady has kept the tank running untill I collect to keep it live, also if I dip the rock in ro will it drop anything unwanted? Sorry for the questions I went In headfirst last time and didn’t realise half of needed to be done so want to get it right this time around ? Thanks

Thrassian Atoll

What are you trying to do with it?  Are you hoping to get the tank home and transfer everything over right away?  Are you keeping your nano setup for now until the new tank cycles?  

The new tank is going to be extremely heavy with anything in it.  How are you planning on moving it?  How does the tank look right now?

If the rock and sand in the 250 looks great, I would take the rock out and put it in a box lined with some plastic and put a bunch of soaked paper towels on it.  I would put the sand in some buckets and take everything home that way.  You shouldn’t have a ton of die off with the rock.  The sand will probably need rinsed with some salt water.

Someone is probably going to disagree with me. But I'm going to give you information based on what I would do personally. If you're planning on buying a running setup that's been up and is already stocked. Then you're basically inheriting all the problems (which there may not even be any). But if there are, you're inheriting them. You have to ask yourself........If a freshwater dip is going to remove anything "unwanted". What's it doing to the wanted things? Like beneficial bacteria and all the unseen, very important life that this tank has built up over the time it's been set up. There may be people that say a freshwater dip won't do anything to the beneficial bacteria if it's only for a short period of time. But, you have to wonder. What is a freshwater for a few seconds really going to remove? If it's a prolonged dip I can almost guarantee that you're killing off important life on that rock and your setup is going to run into problems almost immediately. I say that if you're dead set on buying this "live" system and transporting it live and setting it up live. Then that's just a chance that you're going to have to take as far as nasties go. I absolutely would not move that tank with the rock and sand in it. That would be taking a huge risk. Me personally I would buy just the tank stand and equipment and restart with fresh dry rock and sand unless that tank was immaculate and this person knew what they were doing. However you sound pretty decided on this already so in my opinion (take it for what you will) is a way to proceed. The logistics of doing this are complicated. I transported a 45g shallow from central Arkansas to deep south Louisiana that was emptied and cleaned and it was a task. So you're looking at a job here. 

*If I were you I'd premix my saltwater days before I picked up the tank and have it ready and heated. I think a Reefer 250 is 65 gallons of water total. So i'd have at least 70-75 gallons mixed up. Just to give you an idea. The brute trashcans at Walmart hold around 25 gallons if I can remember correctly. So you'll need around 3 of those FILLED. 

*You're going to need Rubbermaid containers quite a few of them. They can be had at Walmart for like 5 bucks each.

*I would transport the rock in rubber maids with the saltwater from the existing tank. Be mindful and don't mess up the attached corals if there are any. Bring plenty of rubber maids.

*I would use 5 gallon buckets for the fish and the corals that aren't glued or encrusted to the rock

*I wouldn't reuse the sand. I'd buy new sand and have it ready to be added to the tank when it comes home. 

EDIT ADD: as mentioned above. Rinsing the old sand very well is an option. 

* I would have plenty of pumps on hand to keep the life of the tank aerated while you clean the tank and sump and set everything up.

*Once the tank is home and in its place and cleaned. Just set it up like you would if you bought everything at the store. 

I'd have some prime and bottled bacteria on hand just in case you see ammonia spikes. Also be ready to do massive water changes in case ammonia spikes unexpectedly. Like once you put all that premixed new water in. I'd go ahead and mix up another batch same amount just to be safe. 

13 minutes ago, TILTON said:

What are you trying to do with it?  Are you hoping to get the tank home and transfer everything over right away?  Are you keeping your nano setup for now until the new tank cycles?  

The new tank is going to be extremely heavy with anything in it.  How are you planning on moving it?  How does the tank look right now?

If the rock and sand in the 250 looks great, I would take the rock out and put it in a box lined with some plastic and put a bunch of soaked paper towels on it.  I would put the sand in some buckets and take everything home that way.  You shouldn’t have a ton of die off with the rock.  The sand will probably need rinsed with some salt water.

So I’m going to keep my existing tank running I’m in no rush to transfer my livestock over, as I want to get it right before there put in, the lady is taking it apart in tomorrow morning and putting the rock into a large container leaving the sand in the tank with small amount of water about level of the sand, I do have a large bucket here I can take the sand out and into that she’s putting 4/5 containers of the existing water also for me to bring back, so rinse the sand through with new salt water? Thank you for your help I haven’t done this before and want to try get it right 

I wouldn't move that tank with ANYTHING in it..........maybe that's just me being overly cautious. But remember these things are held together with silicone. How far are you moving this stuff? Remember.......those big plastic brute trashcans hold only like 25 gallons of water, you're trying to transport 70 gallons of water. So you'd need 3 of those. How big are these containers you mention? Because they are going to have to be pretty good size to only need 4 of them as in each one would have to hold at least 18 gallons of water roughly. Which is pretty heavy and going to be hard on whatever kind of container that it's in. Is there a reason why you're trying to reuse the water?

30 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

Someone is probably going to disagree with me. But I'm going to give you information based on what I would do personally. If you're planning on buying a running setup that's been up and is already stocked. Then you're basically inheriting all the problems (which there may not even be any). But if there are, you're inheriting them. You have to ask yourself........If a freshwater dip is going to remove anything "unwanted". What's it doing to the wanted things? Like beneficial bacteria and all the unseen, very important life that this tank has built up over the time it's been set up. There may be people that say a freshwater dip won't do anything to the beneficial bacteria if it's only for a short period of time. But, you have to wonder. What is a freshwater for a few seconds really going to remove? If it's a prolonged dip I can almost guarantee that you're killing off important life on that rock and your setup is going to run into problems almost immediately. I say that if you're dead set on buying this "live" system and transporting it live and setting it up live. Then that's just a chance that you're going to have to take as far as nasties go. I absolutely would not move that tank with the rock and sand in it. That would be taking a huge risk. Me personally I would buy just the tank stand and equipment and restart with fresh dry rock and sand unless that tank was immaculate and this person knew what they were doing. However you sound pretty decided on this already so here's a smart way to proceed. The logistics of doing this are complicated. I transported a 45g shallow from Arkansas to Louisiana that was emptied and cleaned and it was a task. So you're looking at a job here. 

*If I were you I'd premix my saltwater days before I picked up the tank and have it ready and heated. I think a Reefer 250 is 65 gallons of water total. So i'd have at least 70-75 gallons mixed up. Just to give you an idea. The brute trashcans at Walmart hold around 25 gallons if I can remember correctly. So you'll need around 3 of those FILLED. 

*You're going to need Rubbermaid containers quite a few of them. They can be had at Walmart for like 5 bucks each.

*I would transport the rock in rubber maids with the saltwater from the existing tank. Be mindful and don't mess up the attached corals if there are any. Bring plenty of rubber maids.

*I would use 5 gallon buckets for the fish and the corals that aren't glued or encrusted to the rock

*I wouldn't reuse the sand. I'd buy new sand and have it ready to be added to the tank when it comes home. 

* I would have plenty of pumps on hand to keep the life of the tank aerated while you clean the tank and sump before resetting it up at your house. 

*Once the tank is home and in its place and cleaned. Just set it up like you would if you bought everything at the store. 

I'd have some prime and bottled bacteria on hand just in case you see ammonia spikes. Also be ready to do massive water changes in case ammonia spikes unexpectedly. Like once you put all that premixed new water in. I'd go ahead and mix up another batch same amount just to be safe. 

So the original owner is disabled she is moving in with her daughter and they don’t have the room for two tanks I don’t know them personally but I know that has some truth to it as I’ve followed there progress in a forum over the last year, all livestock and corals have been transfer to the daughters tank, tbh I’m only so set as this is the tank I wanted I can’t fit any larger and this one rarely  come up for sale with all the equipment I’ve been looking daily for months, definitely won’t be moving it with the rock in and I’m going to take an extra bucket to place the sand into, I can see what you mean with the rock so I presume If I don’t see any initial problems say aptipisa, and go from there?  If there’s a problem it’s going and I can get new I’ve been making some water today and Im going to have about 125l of the exsisting tank water to bring back to and I will go get some prime and bacteria in the morning maybe even new sand I’m in no rush to transfer and set it up but I would like to get it right if I can  thank you for your advice 

It's completely doable it's just a lot of work and it's going to be heavy. So bring help...........It sounds like there is no livestock. Just rock, water and sand. So that takes a lot of headache out of the planning. Just remember that if you reuse all that water. It's going to be SUPER heavy divided into 4 containers. 

10 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

I wouldn't move that tank with ANYTHING in it..........maybe that's just me being overly cautious. But remember these things are held together with silicone. How far are you moving this stuff? Remember.......those big plastic brute trashcans hold only like 25 gallons of water, you're trying to transport 70 gallons of water. So you'd need 3 of those. How big are these containers you mention? Because they are going to have to be pretty good size to only need 4 of them as in each one would have to hold at least 18 gallons of water roughly. Which is pretty heavy and going to be hard on whatever kind of container that it's in. Is there a reason why you're trying to reuse the water?

No I won’t be moving the tank with anything in, the containers she has are 25l each there the ones I used to puchased premix water in before I purchased an ro unit, so I posted on a different forum and a few people mentioned to re use some of the water? This could be completely wrong (I’m a beginner still learning) but just went with what others and the owner had suggested? 

If you plan this out and don't rush it. You'll have a successful move 100%. Just plan it out and think of anything that could go wrong. 

It's not that reusing the water is wrong or bad per say. It's just heavy...........like really heavy. Especially to move from house to house in vehicles. I mean I refill my ATO from a 5 gallon bucket and it's pretty heavy just being 5 gallons. 

Im definitely in no need to rush I want to take my time it, that was my main concern was would the rock/sand cause and issue?ive got help to take with me also the lady’s daughter and son in law will be there to help out with the lifting, the daughter is also preparing everything so that it’s ready to go, Once back will the rock be ok in a large bucket with water small power head n heater untill I’m ready to put in if I decide to use it ?

Thrassian Atoll

I would empty the tank completely.  Tell her to put all of the rock in a trash bag inside of a box or something and throw wet paper towels on it to keep the die off to a minimum.  The sand just put in some 5 gallon buckets.  It will stay moist enough.  The sand will be filled with detritus.  Your going to want to rinse it one way or another.  Use salt water if you want to keep everything alive in it.   It’s going to be hard keeping any the old tank water.

You are just up for a lot of work is all!

I picked up a fully running tank an hour away from me once. Took like 4x 5g buckets and a 16g trash can. Just keep the rock as wet as possible and you can simply just rinse the sand out.

You can and most likely will have a mini cycle happen after everything is setup but that's normal and you'll just get some diatoms for a few days to a week and boom! Shiny new reef 😁

Excited to see it!

Out of curiosity I’ve got a chalk goby  he does eat frozen and pellets wouldnt new sand be a problem for him? I was under the impression they had to go in an established tank? I could be completely wrong on that don’t shoot me I am a beginner 🙈😂

2 hours ago, OverCookedRock said:

You are just up for a lot of work is all!

I picked up a fully running tank an hour away from me once. Took like 4x 5g buckets and a 16g trash can. Just keep the rock as wet as possible and you can simply just rinse the sand out.

You can and most likely will have a mini cycle happen after everything is setup but that's normal and you'll just get some diatoms for a few days to a week and boom! Shiny new reef 😁

Excited to see it!

Thank you! I just hope all goes well I was expecting some sort of mini cycle to happen and I’m in no rush to transfer over just get it up and running for a while and get used to how the tank works before I consider moving my livestock in, I’ve really wanted to upgrade for a while and this size just doesn’t come up near me very often I’ve been looking daily for probably 4 months so I’m doing the same just over an hours journey mainly because it has all equipment and it a resonabliy priced and it doesn’t have livestock for me to get rid of I wanted to start out as it being my own what I’ve created just fingers crossed it works that way 🙈

Good luck with your move...I am on my way home with a tank and a bucket of fish..corals ..sand...and rock that came with it.

I am going to wash the sand rip clean Brandon's method.

Rock has aptasia but pests never bothered me. I will take a syringe of boiling water and melt them. Get out my tweezers and pull any coral off I don't want on there.

All new water. I don't like hauling water with me so I just make new.

I have holding tanks ready to go for the fish and such so I don't even need to get everything up asap.

Anything I won't keep can be rehomed.

• Like 1

Rose, if "I" were you I would start from scratch. Like someone else has stated above, you don't want to inherit any of the past reefers problems. Aka, build up of nitrate in the rocks, algae, pests, ect (it's the unknown I'd be worried about). I would just take the tank, equipment, stand, sump, ect and leave or get rid of the rock/sand. But, that's just me (i'm a little OCD).

I hope the move is successful. Fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, Rosem89 said:

Thank you! I just hope all goes well I was expecting some sort of mini cycle to happen and I’m in no rush to transfer over just get it up and running for a while and get used to how the tank works before I consider moving my livestock in, I’ve really wanted to upgrade for a while and this size just doesn’t come up near me very often I’ve been looking daily for probably 4 months so I’m doing the same just over an hours journey mainly because it has all equipment and it a resonabliy priced and it doesn’t have livestock for me to get rid of I wanted to start out as it being my own what I’ve created just fingers crossed it works that way 🙈

I promise it will be worth it!

38 minutes ago, KISReef said:

Rose, if "I" were you I would start from scratch. Like someone else has stated above, you don't want to inherit any of the past reefers problems. Aka, build up of nitrate in the rocks, algae, pests, ect (it's the unknown I'd be worried about). I would just take the tank, equipment, stand, sump, ect and leave or get rid of the rock/sand. But, that's just me (i'm a little OCD).

I hope the move is successful. Fingers crossed.

Oh they just need a little rinse 😉 

I wouldn't use old sand and definitely not once the rocks have been moved because it will release a bunch of stuff you don't want to deal with- like nutrient issues and a cycle.

The rocks should be transported in buckets of water or wrapped in wet material to prevent die off.

I wouldn't fw dip them. There is life on it, the purpose of established liverock I'd to get all the benefits and not go through a full out cycle.

I have transferred a 10g qith mu sand and rock but it was a 10g, an inch of water, 1/2 inch sand, rocks are siliconed to eggcrate and it went from 1 room to another- I wouldn't transfer a tank full of anything normally.

A few things to check on those reefers. The stands are made of MDF if its swolen at all- anywhere its probably toast. I recommend disassembling it to prepare for transport that way you will get a good check at some of the areas that arent easy to access and that might trap salt water. Additionally you can check the hardware on the stands to make sure the Al inserts didnt rot out and turn to dust.  Also check to make sure the stand was originally installed level and make sure that the tank has no scraches by bringing a black sheet of paper and a powerful flashlight. Thats what i learned from my last failure on buying a used reefer.

• Sad 1
7 minutes ago, hotdrop said:

A few things to check on those reefers. The stands are made of MDF if its swolen at all- anywhere its probably toast. I recommend disassembling it to prepare for transport that way you will get a good check at some of the areas that arent easy to access and that might trap salt water. Additionally you can check the hardware on the stands to make sure the Al inserts didnt rot out and turn to dust.  Also check to make sure the stand was originally installed level and make sure that the tank has no scraches by bringing a black sheet of paper and a powerful flashlight. Thats what i learned from my last failure on buying a used reefer.

Dang, sorry to hear this happened to you. Tank is not salvageable?

I just picked one up but it was only a year old so in very good shape, one small scratch I knew about. I really only pick up used tanks when they are near free tbh.... I paid for this one but technically it came with so much 'tech' the tank might as well been free. 

6 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Dang, sorry to hear this happened to you. Tank is not salvageable? 

Nope not really Im planning to do bare bottom and the guy used the mag float at the sand line. But yeah, I saw just a hint of swelling and figured id just fix it with some glue, clamps and sandpaper. $300 mistake. I really cant catch a break with these fish tanks, even shelled out for a brand new one and it already has all sorts of problems.

11 minutes ago, hotdrop said:

Nope not really Im planning to do bare bottom and the guy used the mag float at the sand line. But yeah, I saw just a hint of swelling and figured id just fix it with some glue, clamps and sandpaper. $300 mistake. I really cant catch a break with these fish tanks, even shelled out for a brand new one and it already has all sorts of problems.

Bummer, what set up did you end up going with?