Coral Vue Hydros

So Long Nano Reef.....

basser1

Well gang it's with some sadness that I have decided to tear down my 10 plus year old BC29. I have met some good folks on here, Chris Marks, Dave Fason, Lawnman and others and always enjoyed giving help when needed.

But the old tank was looking bad, the cabinet was deteriorating and I'm tired of fighting pests, vermitid snails, aiptasia, algae outbreaks, etc. I was able to find a local buyer for my fish and corals and the buyer happens to be a NR member, Sprite, so I know they're going to a good home.

But I won't be getting out of fish keeping entirely. A new bigger tank is in my plans and I am going to try my hand at Discus. IMO, they are the most regal of all fish. I will still be lurking around though.

God bless and Happy Reef Keeping...... Basser1

• Like 8
  • Sad 2
  • Wow 1
7 minutes ago, basser1 said:

Well gang it's with some sadness that I have decided to tear down my 10 plus year old BC29. I have met some good folks on here, Chris Marks, Dave Fason, Lawnman and others and always enjoyed giving help when needed.

But the old tank was looking bad, the cabinet was deteriorating and I'm tired of fighting pests, vermitid snails, aiptasia, algae outbreaks, etc. I was able to find a local buyer for my fish and corals and the buyer happens to be a NR member, Sprite, so I know they're going to a good home.

But I won't be getting out of fish keeping entirely. A new bigger tank is in my plans and I am going to try my hand at Discus. IMO, they are the most regal of all fish. I will still be lurking around though.

Come back and post pics of the Discus! 😀

• Like 1

Good luck with the new adventure.  You are choosing discus, the only freshwater  fish that require more attention than reef Aquaria.  I have bred discus for about 20 years and often wonder what is wrong with me for being willing to do 90% water changes every day on 150 gallon tanks.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, basser1 said:

I am going to try my hand at Discus.

❤️ Discus... 

Only they are sort of the polar oposite of SW.

They love dirty black water which is very soft and acidic.  

Instead of live rock, you'll be throwing in a lot of drift wood.  

Instead of Cleaners you'll have Amano's.  

Christopher Marks

The end of an era. Thank you so much for all of your contributions and support all these years @basser1! ❤️ 

I'm happy to hear that @sprite will be taking your livestock, that's awesome!

Don't be a stranger! I hope you share your Discus tank with us, we have a freshwater topic going in the lounge these days 🙂 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, basser1 said:

You'll be back.....

We all come back.....😉

• Haha 1

I hate to see you go basser1.  I really didn't think this was the way we finally meet in person. I hoped it would be to trade frags instead.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
18 hours ago, basser1 said:

Hey I would love to follow a discus thread here. They are gorgeous and I wouldn't mind learning about them.

• Like 2

@Christopher Marks, I know it's been discussed in the past, but any thoughts about adding a Freshwater & Brackish section in the Special Interest forum?  I think people would be interested in that.  Many of our members have these tanks (like @metrokat and others).  Might be worth considering.

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, seabass said:

@Christopher Marks, I know it's been discussed in the past, but any thoughts about adding a Freshwater & Brackish section in the Special Interest forum?  I think people would be interested in that.  Many of our members have these tanks (like @metrokat and others).  Might be worth considering.

BOOM

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

The end of an era. Thank you so much for all of your contributions and support all these years @basser1! ❤️ 

I'm happy to hear that @sprite will be taking your livestock, that's awesome!

Don't be a stranger! I hope you share your Discus tank with us, we have a freshwater topic going in the lounge these days 🙂 

Thanks Chris for the heads up! I will post pics when I get this going, which may be a couple of months because the wife also wants to re-do the living room!

Stay tuned.......

• Like 4
On 3/1/2019 at 9:05 PM, basser1 said:

So sorry to hear this but its understandable. 

Discus are gorgeous. I always wanted to do a tank of them. Something about them. 

Good luck on the new adventure, visit often and share pics of that discus tank!

Nano sapiens

Sad to see one of the few oldie tanks being retired, but I can see where you are coming from.  While these nanos do get more stable with age, they also tend to collect their share of pests along the way.

Good to see you'll be staying in the wet with the discus.  All the best with them!