Coral Vue Hydros

How many different types of nems can you keep in one 29 gallon tall?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I just wanted to know how many nems you can keep in one tank, and how many of different types you can keep also? I have one purple long tentacle so far, and I want to know all the nems that I could also have? I know about bubble tips and mini maxi nems, I used to have both of them, but they both passed away bc of insufficient lighting. I now have much better lighting, and I’m ready to get back into nems. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Definitely not any condis, bc they are too aggressive. Carpet nems maybe. Haitian anemones also maybe. Is there anything I’m forgetting? And how many nems could I keep in one tank?

Stick with BTAs, RFAs, and Mini-Maxis. They are all easy to keep and can live within inches of each other.

Here's 4 nems in my 20g that are touching or within an inch or two of each other and have been like this for more than 2 years now.

20190304_172300.thumb.jpg.1288be42b3847e748524e4fe51bbbe43.jpg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Wow, they look great. What’s wrong with lta’s tho?

Nothing at all, I just missed it listing them out! They are all easy to keep.

Definite no for a carpet.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
11 hours ago, jservedio said:

Nothing at all, I just missed it listing them out! They are all easy to keep.

Definite no for a carpet.

Is a carpet just too big?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
56 minutes ago, pgrVII said:

They're known fish eaters and get huge. 

34 minutes ago, jservedio said:

And significantly harder to keep and don't play nicely with other nems.

Oh, well I’ll just stick to the normal ones.

WTB the red Waratah anemone?

3 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

So they are a little aggressive it says, would that be a serious problem if I put it on the far side of my tank away from everything else?

If you are making a nem-only tank and stuffing it full of nems, they are going to be wandering about for a while to get established. Where you put it has little relevance on where it'll end up. You can usually convince a nem to stay put by very carefully picking a spot for it (so that it can increase/decrease both light and flow by only moving an inch or two), but that only works if there aren't other nems competing for the same place.

Nems can move out of each other's way - your biggest challenge is going to be keeping them out of your powerheads and pumps. If they are kept out of pumps and filters, they are rather easy to keep.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
56 minutes ago, jservedio said:

If you are making a nem-only tank and stuffing it full of nems, they are going to be wandering about for a while to get established. Where you put it has little relevance on where it'll end up. You can usually convince a nem to stay put by very carefully picking a spot for it (so that it can increase/decrease both light and flow by only moving an inch or two), but that only works if there aren't other nems competing for the same place.

Nems can move out of each other's way - your biggest challenge is going to be keeping them out of your powerheads and pumps. If they are kept out of pumps and filters, they are rather easy to keep.

I covered my filter and pump with foam, so nothing can get sucked into it.